Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HKL Drunken Master Language?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-26-03, 01:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On the Hong Kong Legend official website, it says that the Drunken Master DVD has an English and Mandarin sountrack. However, I remember the original language is in Cantonese. Can anybody verify that it is indeed Mandarin, not Cantonese?

Thanks. And Mod, please lock this thread after the question is answered.
Old 10-26-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Cantonese track has been mostly lost over the years, I believe. The R1 release has the Cantonese track, but it switches back and forth between Cantonese and the English dub to fill in the blanks.
Old 10-26-03, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
The Cantonese track has been mostly lost over the years, I believe. The R1 release has the Cantonese track, but it switches back and forth between Cantonese and the English dub to fill in the blanks.
So the HKL R2 DVD is indeed in Mandarin? That's too bad, but still better than a Cantonese/English soundtrack. Thanks Joe.
Old 10-26-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
HKL has been planning a re-release for Drunken Master and Snake In The Eagle's Shadow for some time now. Supposedly they were able to locate a complete Cantonese track.

However, these were originally supposed to be released this year, and HKL has kept pushing them back. (although I don't think they were ever officially announced)

HKL reps claim these are still in the works, but unfortunately HKL as a whole has seemed to sour on "old school" releases in general due to the time and money it takes to restore them.

Just a reminder: The HKL Drunken Master is cropped to 1.77. That alone makes the r1 version superior, imho, despite the occasional drop out in the Cantonese track.

Last edited by rocket1312; 10-27-03 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-27-03, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by rocket1312
HKL has been planning a re-release for Drunken Master and Snake In The Eagle's Shadow for some time now. Supposedly they were able to locate a complete Cantonese track.

However, these were originally supposed to be released this year, and HKL has kept pushing them back. (although I don't think they were ever officially announced)

HKL reps claim these are still in the works, but unfortunately HKL as a whole has seemed to sour on "old school" releases in general due to the time and money it takes to restore them.

Just a reminder: The HKL Drunken Master is cropped to 1.85. That alone makes the r1 version superior, imho, despite the occasional drop out in the Cantonese track.
Thanks. I think I will pass on this dvd.

Mod, please close this thread.