Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-25-03, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Ed Sullivan Presents the Beatles at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8003 and...

The utter disdain the reviewer has for Ed Sullivan and his show is uncalled for. The program was THE show of its time. The only way most Americans got their minimal exposure to Broadway, burlesque and other variety-type acts. That Ed was around when our culture was changing is a testament to his acumen, which included an eye towards business.

On the issue of appealing to American mainstream entertainers, it was something that Brian Epstein and, less so, The Beatles wanted, also. The Beatles themselves may not have admired every elder statesman of American entertainment, but they certainly had their likes even amongst that mainstream.

In the end, Ed wasn't going to deviate from his own status quo - how could he, it was successful and even he knew his own limitations. The Beatles were going to benefit greatly from this exposure. One sidelight being they would have entree to the heights of American society, which even in their most rebellious years, they knew who and what to rub up against, and, who and what to manipulate.
Old 10-25-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Savant is an extremely intelligent writer, but his failing is he gets too caught up in his own smarts. He can't just let go and enjoy something for enjoyment's sake.

I do agree with him that I've never seen Ed Sullivan as a very sparkling personality, but The Beatles were probably pretty overwhelming.

I'll put this set in my wishlist, but not very high on it.