Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel?

Before I had kids I used to love this channel. Had some old series, some new stuff, and a mix of horror/sci-fi movies.

I've been watching the menu now, the only series/movie I recondize is Crossing Over which is complete bullocks to me..and all the scifi movies they have on I've never heard of before.

Who watches this channel anymore?
Old 10-24-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uhoh, prepare for a sermon from das Monkey
Old 10-24-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just to be different, I will defend the Sci Fi Channel in this thread( and only in this thread). No matter what follows, I am not insane.

The new SciFi Channel is not only aimed at the classic sci fi viewer, but also the younger hipper sci fi viewer, and the viewer who may enjoy science fiction programming but doesn't have a replica of the Enterprise in their home. Basically, the Sci Fi channel is everyones sci fi.

With classic shows like The Incredible Hulk and Twilight Zone, new takes on popular shows like Battlestar Galactica, and groundbreaking series like Steven Spielberg's Taken and Children Of Dune, the Sci Fi Channel has programming for the science fiction fan in everyone.

SciFi Originals are a chance for new visionaries to emerge. In an industry dominated by blockbusters and big stars, Sci Fi Original Movies allow a new breed of filmmaker to have their work shown on a major network. With stars like Richard Grieco, Leonard Nimoy, Bruce Campbelland Christopher Lambert lending their talents to SciFi's Original Movies it's only a matter of time before these films are regarding in the same light as the classics of the past.

D
Old 10-24-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
What happened is only the most intelligant, charasmatic and artistically grounded studio head ever to take the reigns of a major tv studio, and it's name is Hammer.

I am prepared to take some poo flinging from das.
Old 10-24-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Derrich
Just to be different, I will defend the Sci Fi Channel in this thread( and only in this thread). No matter what follows, I am not insane.

The new SciFi Channel is not only aimed at the classic sci fi viewer, but also the younger hipper sci fi viewer, and the viewer who may enjoy science fiction programming but doesn't have a replica of the Enterprise in their home. Basically, the Sci Fi channel is everyones sci fi.

With classic shows like The Incredible Hulk and Twilight Zone, new takes on popular shows like Battlestar Galactica, and groundbreaking series like Steven Spielberg's Taken and Children Of Dune, the Sci Fi Channel has programming for the science fiction fan in everyone.

SciFi Originals are a chance for new visionaries to emerge. In an industry dominated by blockbusters and big stars, Sci Fi Original Movies allow a new breed of filmmaker to have their work shown on a major network. With stars like Richard Grieco, Leonard Nimoy, Bruce Campbelland Christopher Lambert lending their talents to SciFi's Original Movies it's only a matter of time before these films are regarding in the same light as the classics of the past.
Umm...nevermind.

das?
Old 10-24-03, 01:06 PM

After cancelling Farscape the SciFi Channel is dead to me.
Old 10-24-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only thing I watch on SciFi anymore is Stargate SG-1...and I have to wait until next January to do that when the season begins again.

What I don't get is all the horror movies. That just turns it off big time for me. Give me SciFi dammit!

I really think they need to syndicate STS9. You can never have too much trek.
Old 10-24-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could give you the long answer, but at the heart of it all is one simple truth: Sci-Fi Channel management (with Hammer in charge) hates sci-fi programming. They've even gone so far as to ignorantly mock their loyal viewers in press releases. The current mission of the Sci-Fi Channel is to avoid at all costs anything unique, original, or intellectual. If you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not ... that's really what they want. The more generic the network the better. Why they continue to call it the Sci-Fi Channel is beyond me, since what they really want already exists. It's called USA (Hammer's former job). There's nothing Sci-Fi about the Sci-Fi Channel, and nothing Original about their so-called Sci-Fi Original Pictures.

What happened to the Sci-Fi Channel? Greed.

They're dead to me too, and nothing short of a formal public apology for intentionally and maliciously lying to its viewers while sandbagging their two most popular shows will make me ever tune in again. Either that or Hammer's head on pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at her lifeless eyes and wave like this.

das
Old 10-24-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A multinational corporation sodomized them. (Short and accurate answer.)
Old 10-24-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even shorter answer:
Old 10-24-03, 02:58 PM

What some people label greed, I see as survival. For Sci Fi to survive, it must expand its core audience. Sure, we all loved Farscape, and Invisible Man has it's fans, but as the numbers show, even more people enjoy the new fresh direction the channel is taking. More miniseries, more stories about things that the average person can relate to, more diverse programming. That is what will make SciFi a last into the future while still providing the type of programming that can't be found elsewhere.

For hardcore science fiction fans, SciFi has shows like Babylon5, Crusade, and Twilight Zone. For casual fans, there's Crossing Over with John Edward and Scare Tactics with Shannen Doherty. And for middle of the road sci fi viewers, great shows like Stargate SG-1 and the new Battlestar Galactic will bridge the gap.

The truth is that the SciFi channel is more viable and diverse now than it ever has been.

D
Old 10-24-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Either that or Hammer's head on pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at her lifeless eyes and wave like this.

das

Old 10-24-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-24-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
That's the one I was looking for!
Old 10-24-03, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Derrich
The truth is that the SciFi channel is more viable and diverse now than it ever has been.

D
Yeah, because we all know what a Sci-Fi classic f'ing BRAVEHEART was.
Old 10-24-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aside from Stargate SG-1, are there even any original-series's with new episodes still airing? I haven't watched the channel in a long time and am a bit out of touch. I think they need to get back with the good original series's again and drop the b-grade original movies and crap reruns.
Old 10-24-03, 04:34 PM
Suspended

The Sci-Fi Channel is anything but diversified right now. The words that come to mind are "homogenized", "derivative", and "repetitive".
Old 10-24-03, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

They cancelled MST3K. They are dead to me.
Old 10-24-03, 05:08 PM

SciFi has moved it's focus to original movies but there are still a number of original series. Scare Tactics and Crossing Over both show that the channel can reach out to non scifi fans while still satisfiying it's core audience. Stargate SG-1 is one of the biggest success stories in the industry and is one of the longest running genre shows still on the air.

When Comedy Central dropped MST3k it was the SciFi channel that stepped in and kept the show alive. There's no debate that the quality and popularity of the show had began to wane and it's a good thing that SciFi let the show end its run on a high note instead of keeping it on the air, slowly wasting away.

There will always be people who believe that they can program the channel better. But in todays world, a number of different factors come into play when running a network. SciFi has done a good job of walking the line between a niche genre channel and a profitable mainstream one.
Old 10-24-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is sci fi in name only. When I had cable, I'd be confused by the proliferation of non science fiction/fantasy movies on the channel. I swear I saw One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest there once. Or maybe it was Das Boot. Either way, I was like when I landed on the channel.

I believe the phrase "ill-trained monkey" comes into the equation when you talk about the channel owners and management.
Old 10-24-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These posts read like press releases.

I don't want to get too deep into this argument other than to point out that SG-1 is Showtime's series. Sci-Fi (sic) bought its ratings for quite a high price and then gave it Farscape's timeslot. Using it as an example of their "original" programming is like giving UPN credit for Buffy. Another "Sci-Fi Original" ... The Dead Zone. Oh wait ... that's USA. Then there are "Sci-Fi Original Pictures" like Shadow Realm ... I mean two episodes of the Fox series Night Visions falsely marketed as a brand new film.

Using the terms "original" and "sci-fi" to describe the current state of this channel is like calling President Bush an eloquently articulate orator. True Sci-Fi Originals are Farscape (cancelled under false pretenses and flurry of lies and deceit, finale falsely marketed as intended finale), The Invisible Man (cancelled, finale falsely marketed as intended finale), The Chronicle (cancelled), Legend of the Rangers (declined to make series, press releases on decision purposefully statistically misleading), and First Wave (cancelled).

If you want to support their homogenized mediocrity, that's fine, but let's be honest about how "original" this network is compared to 3 years ago.

das
Old 10-24-03, 08:03 PM
Defunct Account

What I want to know is why the heck do they want to sue the gov't to release information on UFOs???? If it's so hard for them to make $$, why are they wasting what they have on this idiotic idea?

"Well, it's a publicity stunt!" I hear someone say. Come again? Just how does that turn into new viewers? Will they gain as many viewers as they lost when they cancelled Farscape?

I used to watch most of the Sci-Fi channel's original programing. It wasn't all great, but it was interesting to me. So I'd have my Tivo get all of their Friday (?) night line-up and watch it over the next week. Then the shows started dropping like flies. So I stopped watching. The thing is, when I was watching, I'd see commercials for movies and series that they were going to show, and watch some of those too. (I got hooked on "Space: Above and Beyond" that way.) Now that I never tune in, I don't pay attention to what they are showing, so I never turn to Sci-Fi.

<rant>One word on "Crossing Over." That is the biggest POS I've seen in a loooong time. Before every show they should announce "This is fiction with no element of science. If you believe that this guy talks with the dead, you are an idiot." I think it is morally indefensable that Sci-Fi is showing it. I'll bet there are thousands of people who have gone to psychics and other con artist trying to contact the dear departed after seeing this show. He's not even that GOOD at what he does. Geeze. </rant>

-Videophile
Old 10-24-03, 09:40 PM

Man, The Chronicle is cancelled? It just started ariring on Space (our sci-fi channel, no relation other than buying some of sci-fi's stuff, i think) and i enjoy it.

Damn. That and Starhunter (not new, may not be a Sci-fi show as the international cast suggests a Canadian-European co-production, but i may be pulling that outta my butt as I'm purely speculating and really know nothing) are the only new shows i've started watching this year...

Edit: Ah, Starhunters is partially produced by Alliance Atlantis.

Last edited by Mourn; 10-24-03 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The channel has gone down hill fast. A couple years ago they had a good line up. Especially liked the Friday lineup. As I remember lineup was Farscape, Invisible man and First Wave. Now only watch it for Stargate.
Old 10-24-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they pulled the plug about the same time they yanked The Invisible Man. It was a fun show. I miss it too.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.