Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gibson Finds Distributor For Controversial Christ Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-23-03, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/257...110232003&ts=H

'The Passion Of Christ' Will Open Ash Wednesday

POSTED: 6:20 p.m. EDT October 23, 2003

Mel Gibson's controversial film about Jesus Christ has found a distributor -- and release date.

Gibson and New York-based Newmarket Films announced the distribution deal in a press release Thursday for "The Passion of Christ," which Gibson co-wrote and directed. It will be released in theaters across the United States Feb. 25, which is Ash Wednesday on the Christian calendar.

"The Passion of Christ" graphically portrays the last 12 hours of Christ's life as depicted in the New Testament.

The film has been continually under fire from Jewish leaders. Anti-Defamation League National Director Abraham Foxman said in August that he's concerned the film will "fuel hatred, bigotry and anti-Semitism" by reinforcing a belief that Jews were guilty for Jesus' death.

Gibson has staunchly defended his film from the beginning, saying it's meant to "inspire, not offend."

In a statement published in Variety in June, Gibson said "The Passion" is meant to be "a lasting work of art" that will "engender serious thought among audiences of diverse faith backgrounds."

"The Passion of Christ" stars James Caviezel ("Angel Eyes," "Frequency") as Jesus Christ, Monica Bellucci ("The Matrix Reloaded") as Mary Magdalene, and Romanian actress Maia Morgenstern as the Virgin Mary.

The film was originally titled "The Passion," but Gibson changed the name to "The Passion of Christ" earlier this month because a television movie in production had already claimed the title.

Thank God there are going to be subtitles!

Chris
Old 10-23-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-23-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
²
Old 10-23-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
I'm terribly disappointed that one of the major studios didn't pick it up. I have a feeling that 'theaters across the US' will mean 20 or 30 screens in big cities and arthouses. If you don't live in a big metropolitan area like me, you'll be spending your Ash Wednesday watching The Passion of Big Star Driving a Fast Car.
Old 10-23-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm eagerly anticipating this film. Go Mel.
Old 10-23-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Newmarket doesn't have a history of distributing movies very widely at all, so if you don't live near a big city, you may be SOL.
Old 10-23-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Well, the film was picked up by Newmarket, which distributed the fairly successful WHALE RIDER this year. That film was in over 500 theatres at one point. I think Mel's film might get the same size release, or even larger.
Old 10-23-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They didn't do too badly with "Memento" or "Donnie Darko" either.
Old 10-23-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They didn't do too badly with "Memento" or "Donnie Darko" either.
Yeah, Donnie Darko did pretty well. $500,000 gross for a film with a $5 million budget. (I love the film to death, but the film tanked.)

Newmarket is 50/50. They were hugely profitable with Memento, Whale Rider, and Real Women Have Curves. They tanked with Spun and Donnie Darko. All of their previous releases have mostly been limited releases that have gained screens throughout the weeks, but with the cost behind Gibson's film, they might start out with more screens to begin with (maybe instead of starting out in NY/LA, start out in the top ten/twenty/maybe thirty markets).
Old 10-23-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yeah, Donnie Darko did pretty well. $500,000 gross for a film with a $5 million budget. (I love the film to death, but the film tanked.)
My post wasn't concerning the financial success of Newmarket's films, it was their ability to get them into theaters around the country.

I live in a dinky rural college town a hundred miles from the nearest city and "Donnie Darko" played here for several weeks. The movie wasn't a hit, but that doesn't mean it didn't get distributed widely.
Old 10-23-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in a dinky rural college town a hundred miles from the nearest city and "Donnie Darko" played here for several weeks.
I live in a city with two million people and we barely got the film for five minutes.
Old 10-23-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had heard at one point that all the dialogue is in Latin and Aramaic (sp?) and that he was adamant about not subtitling the film. Is this true or has he decided to include subtitles?
Old 10-23-03, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I had heard at one point that all the dialogue is in Latin and Aramaic (sp?) and that he was adamant about not subtitling the film. Is this true or has he decided to include subtitles?
He rightly decided to include subtitles. Without it would have been suicide for the movie. I love to watch movies in their original tongue, but subtitles are a necessity!

Chris
Old 10-24-03, 02:44 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm Jewish and i really wanna see this. maybe I'll bring my Christian g/f.
Old 10-24-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is going to be awesome. Forget all the bad publicity..... its a movie about Jesus Christ and i believe doesnt intend to bad mouth other people. Mel wanted to do this movie for awhile and now he has.

Go Mel
Old 10-24-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TCG
I'm Jewish and i really wanna see this. maybe I'll bring my Christian g/f.
Would they not let you in without her?
Old 10-24-03, 09:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Let's face it: this movie doesn't have the interest to support opening as a 3000 screen major release. Movies like this do better playing on a few screens, and then expanding out as word of mouth spreads. Assuming it's a good film, this is the best way for it to come out.
Old 10-24-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrpayroll
He rightly decided to include subtitles. Without it would have been suicide for the movie. I love to watch movies in their original tongue, but subtitles are a necessity!

Chris

That was one thing that had me shaking my head. What good is making a film and when people watch it they can't understand it.

I remember last fall I saw Spirited Away and the theater got the wrong print. It was in Japanese with NO English subtitles. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Myazaki would have been upset that his work wasn't being understood and appreciated.

I'd think that even if someone doesn't "like" a movie it would be more important that they at least understand it.
Old 10-24-03, 09:57 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
So is it now officially called, "The Passion of Christ" instead of "The Passion"?
Old 10-24-03, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Would they not let you in without her?

Chris
Old 10-24-03, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
So is it now officially called, "The Passion of Christ" instead of "The Passion"?
Yes and I think it's a better title. A little more descriptive!

Chris
Old 10-24-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think though, so far, jesus of nazareth is the best dipiction of jesus.
Old 10-24-03, 11:28 AM

Uh Oh, sounds like God is NOT giving His Blessing on this film!

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/257...110242003&ts=H

Asst. Director Of 'Christ' Film Reportedly Struck By Lightning, Twice
Strikes Occurred Months Apart

POSTED: 11:45 a.m. EDT October 24, 2003
UPDATED: 11:47 a.m. EDT October 24, 2003

NEW YORK -- An assistant director for Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ" was reportedly hit twice by lightning during filming in Italy.

The Variety publication VLife said Jan Michelini suffered burns on the tips of his fingers when lightning hit his umbrella one day on a hilltop.

A few months later, a storm rolled in and Michelini -- again carrying an umbrella -- was standing beside star Jim Caviezel on top of a hill.

Producer Steve McEveety told VLife, "I'm about 100 feet away from them, when I glance over and see lightning coming out of Caviezel's ears. Both Caviezel and Michelini got struck this time. The main bolt hit Caviezel and one of its forks hit Michelini's umbrella."

No one was hurt, but Michelini's new nickname is "lightning boy."

Chris
Old 10-24-03, 11:37 AM

does anyone know how long this film is, i've heard rumors of insane lengths
Old 10-24-03, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by yojimbo1
does anyone know how long this film is, i've heard rumors of insane lengths
From the article

"The Passion of Christ" graphically portrays the last 12 hours of Christ's life as depicted in the New Testament
So I expect it to be 12 hrs long

Im glad someone finally picked this up and we will get to see it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.