Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Clancy’s Red Rabbit

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tom Clancy’s Red Rabbit

Old 09-26-03, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Clancy’s Red Rabbit

Anyone read this rumor yet? The story is there's a new production team in charge of the Jack Ryan franchise, and because of Affleck's lackluster box office post-Sum of All Fears, they want to replace him with someone like Tom Cruise (ain't gonna happen) or David Duchovny.

It'd be kinda funny if this happened, since they de-aged Jack Ryan for Sum of All Fears and would now be aging him back to the right age but doing it for a prequel book where Affleck would be the right age.
Old 09-26-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read the rumor, and I can't say that the studio is wrong in canning him. I didn't think he was a very good Jack Ryan to begin with, but I can't argue with the logic about his bad box-office since Sum Of All Fears(except for Daredevil). I don't see Tom Cruise or David Duchovny taking over the role either, but I thought that for Red Rabbit they need a young Jack Ryan. Tom Cruise and David Duchovny seem a little old for the role IMO.
Old 09-26-03, 04:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I didn't think Ben Affleck was the best choice for the role, it makes little sense to switch so soon. I just don't think the Jack Ryan franchise is strong enough to survive yet another actor switch, unless they get a Tom Cruise (who is already in the similar-enough Mission Impossible series).

Besides... lackluster box office? What did they expect? The story is nothing special, sorry. Furthermore:

Hunt for Red October, The
Released in US March 2, 1990
Total US Gross $120,709,866
Worldwide Gross $200,500,000

Patriot Games
Released in US June 5, 1992
Total US Gross $83,287,363
Worldwide Gross $178,100,000

Clear and Present Danger
Released in US August 3, 1994
Total US Gross $122,012,656
Worldwide Gross $207,500,000

Sum of All Fears, The
Released in US May 31, 2002
Total US Gross $118,471,320
Worldwide Gross $118,471,320

Worldwide numbers were far lower, but they had to know that would happen in first place, since Ben isn't Harrison Ford (and Sean Connery carried the weight for Red October, not Alec Baldwin). And domestic numbers are right in line with the others, although a bit lesser when inflation is taken into consideration. They should face facts... the franchise has lost its steam, whatever steam it had, and it's not all Affleck's fault.
Old 09-26-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David Duchovny would be a kick-ass Jack Ryan
Old 09-26-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Robert
David Duchovny would be a kick-ass Jack Ryan
How does the studio figure that David is a bigger box-office draw? Based on the BO of "Evolution"?
Old 09-26-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I very much doubt that this rumor is true. Ben, Gigli aside, is still as much a box-office draw as he was before The Sum Of All Fears (interpret that as you will).

Something I must ask though - slim him down. Let's not have Fat Ben. We want thin, fit, good-looking Ben.
Old 09-26-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I personally think box office draw is basic BS. Even Tom Cruise wasn't enough to sell Eyes Wide shut or Magnolia. Not to say he has no effect, but the effect is much smaller than studio executives seem to think. But even if you buy into that theorey, who has more box office appeal than Affleck? Very few and certainly not Duchovny.

I don't buy it
Old 09-26-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
Worldwide numbers were far lower
The worldwide numbers are the domestic numbers. I guess the source that listed that information forgot to take countries other than the U.S. into account.

Worldwideboxoffice.com lists $57.7 million foreign, for a tally of $176.2 million worldwide.
Old 09-26-03, 08:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think Affleck was much of an actor, but I enjoyed his take on the young Jack Ryan in Sum of All Fears. However, I don't know how well he'd play a more experienced version of the character.
Old 09-26-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Here's your next Jack Ryan: Macaulay Culkin

Old 09-26-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
How about Vincent Gallo? He was in The Brown Bunny so why not The Red Rabbit?
Old 09-26-03, 11:46 PM
Rest in Peace

Affleck was great as Ryan in 'Sum of All Fears", he was younger in "Armageddon' with Harry Stampers (Bruce Willis) young daughter.
Old 09-27-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally posted by danol
Affleck was great as Ryan in 'Sum of All Fears", he was younger in "Armageddon' with Harry Stampers (Bruce Willis) young daughter.
I read the post quickly (without reading the poster name) and thought "that reads just like a danol post". Thanks for keeping me smiling dude, you deserve a hug!
Old 09-30-03, 12:36 PM

Jeez - I thought this thread was about Brown Bunny, too, and kep thinking, wait . . . Affleck's getting pleasured by Sevigny?
Old 09-30-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Lackluster Box Office? Didn't Daredevil make over 100 million dollars?
Old 09-30-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the biggest problem with the sum of all fears is how they changed some key plot elements from the book IMO. Why on earth they had to make the nuke attack a big neo nazi conspiracy instead of a terrorist attack by muslim fundamentalists is beyond me. Not like the later is unrealistic. That change alone really turned me off from the get go... its prolly a better movie than I remember but thats the way it goes. Any1 know why this change was made? Clancy has final creative control these days doesnt he? why in the heck did he agree to that change?

j
Old 09-30-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paramount didn't want
a)to piss off Muslims, already being persecuted and blamed en masse for the September 11th attacks, and
b)people being offended by the "cheapening" of September 11th by offering such a similar act of terrorism as summer entertainment.

Clancy jokes about the changes at the beginning of the commentary.
Old 09-30-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I coulnd't possibly care less about this but I just thought I'd point out a problem in the stats and your conclusion (It's the OCD in me taking over):

Originally posted by DRG
Total US Gross $118,471,320
Worldwide Gross $118,471,320

Worldwide numbers were far lower, but they had to know that would happen in first place, since Ben isn't Harrison Ford (and Sean Connery carried the weight for Red October, not Alec Baldwin).

It's highly unlikely that Sum of All Fears didn't make one single dollar outside of the US. The actual worldwide gross is most likely competitive with the Connery/Ford pictures.
Old 09-30-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Peep
How does the studio figure that David is a bigger box-office draw? Based on the BO of "Evolution"?
He works for peanuts compared to Affleck. If they think the Jack Ryan name recognition holds then it might be worth it, seeing as how the series is not an Affleck vehicle.
Old 10-22-03, 11:49 AM

Is Red Rabbit the next Clancy novel to movie?

I'm just wondering if this will be the next book that is turned into a Jack Ryan movie.

It would seem logical since Ben Affleck has supplanted Harrison Ford, and the Jack Ryan character in the book is younger (set in 1981). I really liked the book and think they could really do something with it. I don't know how the early 80's cold war angle would play out, but it's a riveting story nonetheless.

Any input is appreciated.

Go Leafs Go
Habs Suck
Old 10-27-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
Clancy Says Ben Affleck Still in for Red Rabbit Source: Moviehole Monday, October 27, 2003

Moviehole sent in an update on the next Jack Ryan movie, Red Rabbit, from author Tom Clancy.

Talking to author Tom Clancy this weekend, we discovered that there was some talk of replacing Affleck with another - more bankable, someone that didn't star in a flick called "Gigli" – actor, but Clancy says that's all over now. "Ben Affleck will continue to be Jack Ryan", smiles the best-selling author.

Clancy says he wrote the novel, "Red Rabbit", which will form the basis for the next movie, with Affleck in mind for the role. He says he's the best Ryan the screen has seen to date.

from [COMINGSOON.com]
Old 10-27-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Paramount didn't want
a)to piss off Muslims, already being persecuted and blamed en masse for the September 11th attacks, and
b)people being offended by the "cheapening" of September 11th by offering such a similar act of terrorism as summer entertainment.

Clancy jokes about the changes at the beginning of the commentary.
I don't think these were the reasons for the change. As far as I know it, these changes were written and filmed before sept 11th.
Old 10-27-03, 11:41 PM

I always figured that the movie's take being down was partly due to Sept. 11th. I know I had some friends that were somewhat excited about Sum before 9/11, but opted to pass when it came out.

I don't know... I liked it. I thought Afflack did a pretty good job IMO.
Old 10-28-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I just don't see David Duchovney playing Ryan. After playing the cynical, witty Fox Mulder, I can't really see him as the straight-laced too a fault Jack Ryan.
Old 10-28-03, 10:14 PM

I don't think he should play Ryan, but bringing in Duchovnoy to play a cynical, witty Mulder-type opposite Ryan would be great. A nice dynamic especially if he's older than Ryan. They need a new mentor now that Freeman is already out.

After listening to the Sum of All Fears commentary and discovering what an insufferable blowhard Clancy seems to be, it would be great if they could change up his novels more and get him all sputtering in indignation. His negative hyperbole spewed after the Patriot Games/Clear & Present Danger movies is quite funny when imagined delivered in his obnoxious style.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.