Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Gangs of New York re-release/DC anytime soon?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While at work today I was thinking about how much I enjoyed this film but how I also thought it would be great to see the original cut (I guess the first one that was reviewed? Over 3 hrs, maybe?).

Well, it's been over 3 1/2 mo's since it was first released, and my guess is that everyone who was going to buy it has already picked it up by now.

My question is this: Has anyone around here seen/heard/read any further info on a possible re-release of this film? I know that Scorsese has insisted that the theatrical cut was his true vision, but I also wonder how much of that was said to sell the first disc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and let's hope that something comes out soon b/c I would love to see this in it's original, uncut, all-out SE form that I feel it certainly deserves.
Old 10-22-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've been here since Oct. 2002 and you missed the 3,467 threads about this?
Old 10-22-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To rehash what has already been stated elsewhere on this board: the version of GONY that Martin Scorsese released to theatres and dvd IS his director's cut, and he has gone on record as stating that there will be no further cuts of the film. So to answer your question, NO. I wouldn't expect a re-release anytime soon. The version that was put out is a fine enough release for me.
Old 10-22-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
You've been here since Oct. 2002 and you missed the 3,467 threads about this?
I may have been registered since then, but I did a search and found NOTHING that was specifically about a re-release. Also, some of us have lives outside of this little "DVD-world" so things may slip under the radar. Ease up, man. It was a simple question and an @**-hole remark was the last thing I wanted to deal with.

Palmerjoss,

I realize that, but there was also speculation that Scorsese was saying this b/c the Weinstein's wanted him to. The film I am talking about was mentioned in a review (I can't seem to find it online right now), and I want to say it ran over 3 hrs. I have a hard time believing that Scorsese would let a film like this come out as flawed as it did if he had indeed been working on it for 25+yrs.
Old 10-22-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by reubs82
. . . come out as flawed as it did . . .
?????
Old 10-22-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Flawed.???? How was it Flawed Sir???
Old 10-22-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by REL77
Flawed.???? How was it Flawed Sir???
Well, since you ask, it was dull and diskointed, never mind the terrible accents and poorly-written characaters. But that's beside the point - this film is Scorsese's baby, and the end product is his choice. If he cut anything for length, it was his choice and not the Weinstein pressure - the film is still damn near three hours.

If there is a director's cut of this, which is SO DOUBTFUL I WOULD BET MONEY IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AND I MUST BE CONFIDENT SINCE I DON'T HAVE MONEY, this place would go gaga and reubs, you'd find out when we would.

In the future, search, because this idea has been addressed 3,000 times already.
Old 10-22-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well, since you ask, it was dull and diskointed, never mind the terrible accents and poorly-written characaters. But that's beside the point - this film is Scorsese's baby, and the end product is his choice. If he cut anything for length, it was his choice and not the Weinstein pressure - the film is still damn near three hours.

If there is a director's cut of this, which is SO DOUBTFUL I WOULD BET MONEY IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AND I MUST BE CONFIDENT SINCE I DON'T HAVE MONEY, this place would go gaga and reubs, you'd find out when we would.

In the future, search, because this idea has been addressed 3,000 times already.
My sentiments exactly. I think I liked GONY the least of all Scorsese's movies. It didn't help that Leo and Cameron Diaz were horrible in their respective roles. The only saving grace of the movie to me was Daniel Day-Lewis, who gave a stunning performance that I thought should have won Best Actor. Other than that, I'd say it's not a film I'd watch again.
Old 10-22-03, 10:28 AM
Banned

I agree. Daniel Day-Lewis was great in the film. Unfortunately Leonardo DiCaprio was again miscast as a man and Cameron Diaz fooled Scorsese into thinking she could act. The plot is slow paced and very disjointed. Scorsese should be embarassed that he foisted this on the public. I like some parts of the film, but I can't really recommend it to anyone.
Old 10-22-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, I didnt think the movie was the greatest, Leo and Cameron were not good. I was asking that guy how reubs82 thought the DVD was FLAWED and why it needed to be re-released. Nothing about the quality of the movie, just the DVD release
Old 10-22-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by REL77
I agree, I didnt think the movie was the greatest, Leo and Cameron were not good. I was asking that guy how reubs82 thought the DVD was FLAWED and why it needed to be re-released. Nothing about the quality of the movie, just the DVD release
I do agree with you there--the dvd is fine as is. It had excellent audio and video, Scorsese's final cut of the film, and some great extras. Even if there was another release I probably wouldn't pick it up, but I don't anticipate one.
Old 10-22-03, 11:35 AM
Banned

Easily Scorcese's worst film. His only film that's near unwatchable. As much as I'd like to see his original cut, I doubt it would improve the film since its problems seem so fundamental (bad acting, thin story, weak conclusion). The greatest Director's Cut in the world couldn't fix those basic problems.
Old 10-22-03, 01:26 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

What? This is a top 5 Scorsese movie, and was easily the best film of 2002... Just an excellent, excellent film! Staying on topic though, I agree with everyone else that the version released IS the DC, and that a new release won't be coming any time in the near future.