Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prince of Persia Demo disc @ Bestbuy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince of Persia Demo disc @ Bestbuy

Did a search, and couldn't find anything about it. Curious if anyone else has inquired about this like i did, and what they got as a response.

Funny thing happened tonight while picking up Hypersonic for $5 and XIII demo for $.01.

I saw the Prince of Persia demo and brought it up to the cashier thinking there might be a chance it would ring up as a penny also.

Needless to say, it rang up at $5.

In my disappointment, I noticed that at the bottom, in bold italics, it says, "NOT FOR SALE"

I found this curious, so I asked about it. The cashier had no idea and gave some dumb reply about how BestBuy definitely payed for them.

One of the yellow shirts was walking by, so I asked him next......
he had no clue about it and said it seemed odd to him, so he directed me to the store's general manager saying that he should know.

Sure enough, the manager seemed quite puzzled about the fact that they were selling an item for $5 that had "NOT FOR SALE" printed on the front of it.

He went about asking a few other employees and no one could really figure out the reason why BestBuy was charging $5 for something that seemed like it should be free up at the registers (like those 24 preview discs were)

I said it wasn't a big deal b/c I wasn't that interested in the game, but it DID seem like it was the sort of question that deserved a legitimate answer, especially considering how Sony is doing this more frequently lately.

So finally, some head person at the customer service desk said that the manager was going to email corporate about it, but that they couldn't really give me any sort of answer. She offered to just let me have it. I took her up on it.
Old 10-21-03, 10:19 PM

They're also selling the XBOX bundle games that come with Tetris Worlds and Star Wars.. those also have a green bar with the words NOT FOR RESALE on them.
Old 10-22-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rings up for $5 because it's the pre-order price. You put $5 down towards the game and you get the free demo. The $% is just an assurance that you actually preorder the game and not just grab the demo.

This is the same thing that happened with the new Star Wars for GC, just that the demo actually rang up for a $.01, but they weren't supposed to give that to you unless you preordered the game.
Old 10-22-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was going to post about this. Same thing happened to me today. 5$. I just told her forget those leave them off the order, she volunteers the mistake to a manager that was standing close. Nice girls. The manager just put them in the bag and said take them.

Only at Bestbuy.

(FULL NES version of prince of persia. Sweet!)
Old 10-22-03, 02:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I bought one thinking it would be free or a penny, later noticed the $5 charge, went to return it, and the CSR changed the price to a penny for me with no prompting.
Old 10-22-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is this game any good?
Old 10-22-03, 02:53 PM

My BB is selling the Gamecube preview discs (that are like $8 MSRP) for $40. That kinda made me angry.
Old 10-22-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
So is this game any good?
Dunno myself.. EGM gave it a 9.5, 9.0, 9.5 which is pretty damn impressive, their only real complaint were a few overly long battles.
Old 10-22-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Lint21
My BB is selling the Gamecube preview discs (that are like $8 MSRP) for $40. That kinda made me angry.
Does it really ring up for $40 or is the tag just priced that way?
Old 10-23-03, 10:02 AM

Good question. I didn't try to buy it, so I don't know how it rings. The plastic divider they use to separate the games and tell you the price has the preview disc listed at $39.99.
Old 10-23-03, 10:10 AM

Technically, selling those demos for .01 is illegal. It clearly states "not for sale" on the package.

Anyone for a class action suit?
Old 10-23-03, 10:55 AM

What console are these demos for?