Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Nightmare on Elmstreet box set. Will it rereleased?

Old 10-20-03, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my eye on the Nightmare on Elmstreet box set for some time now. I was thinking of buying it. Do you think it will ever get released again with more bonus material or commentary tracks? Is the box set widescreen?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Nightmare on Elmstreet box set. Will it rereleased?

Yes, it's widescreen.

More bonus material? Sheesh, I don't think you could have any more bonus material if you tried! The 8th disk is incredible and contains an interactive maze of bonus features, extras, and info!! It would take you days to get through it all!!

Buy it. It's a fantastic package.

I believe it's just had a price reduction too, so even better value.
Old 10-20-03, 11:25 PM

I seem to rememebr it being around 97 dollars at Best buy a few moths ago. I was just there today and they are now listed at 108.99.

Has the price reduction already taken place or is it just about to go down?

Also, I checked the release date for the Aliens box set that supposed to be comming out soon. However, I didn;t see it listed on this sites upcomming release date list. Has it been pushed back? Does anyone know the release date?
Old 10-21-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Flare65
I seem to rememebr it being around 97 dollars at Best buy a few moths ago. I was just there today and they are now listed at 108.99.

Has the price reduction already taken place or is it just about to go down?

Also, I checked the release date for the Aliens box set that supposed to be comming out soon. However, I didn;t see it listed on this sites upcomming release date list. Has it been pushed back? Does anyone know the release date?
Check deepdiscountdvd.com, you can pick up the set for like half that, or you could. I know i picked it up for around 50 I believe.
Old 10-21-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah man, may as well pick up the box set! It's a great set and the interactive maze disc is great. It's got hidden tons of interviews and many other things about nightmare on elm street, telling you more than you ever really knew. About the making of the films and the deadlines they had and how they did certain effects, it's really a nightmare on elm street box set that's been done right. And all of the spines of the DVD's placed in order show the back side of Freddy, man, how cool is that.
Old 10-21-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd pick it up without hesitation, at least if you're a fan of the films. I picked mine up the day it was released a few years ago, and I haven't regretted it since. In fact, I just pulled it out a couple days ago for my Halloween movie marathon.
Old 10-21-03, 02:22 PM
SeeNo Member

Pick it up. You won't regret it. BTW I got mine for 14.95
Old 10-21-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by StevenSpielberg
Pick it up. You won't regret it. BTW I got mine for 14.95
i'm not even gonna ask how.... let alone where...
Old 10-21-03, 05:59 PM

It shows Freddy's back side? I have to get it now.
Old 10-21-03, 06:02 PM
SeeNo Member

If ya really wanna know it was walmart.com they had a misprice a while back.
Old 10-21-03, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

GET IT

I would definitely recommend getting the box set. And you should look no further than to our friends at www.deepdiscountdvd.com. They now have it for $69.22, and of course there is no shipping (or no tax, at least not for me in NY). They did have it available last month, for a few weeks, for only $55 and change, but it looks like that special has come and gone for good.

The way I look at it, #1, 2, 3, and "7" ("Wes Craven's New Nightmare"--which is as good as the first film, IMHO) are essential, as well as the bonus "Encyclopedia" disk. #4 and 5 aren't bad, though they could have been better (they're good on the atmosphere, a little shaky on the story). I have yet to finish #6, but I think most agree that it's the weakest of the bunch (and so far I agree). So no matter what, you need to buy at least 4 of them, which will run you a good $40+. But then you won't get the bonus disc, which is very clever and a lot of fun--which you can't even buy separate. Say that's worth $15. So you might as well spend the extra $10 for #4, 5 and 6. It's worth it!

The ONLY downside to getting the box set as opposed to the individual discs, is that the single discs give you the choice between Widescreen and Standard. The box set is widescreen only. I personally don't care for standard, so it wasn't an issue with me.

I can't imagine that a better set will be put together. I'm sure it's possible that the first one will be rereleased in a 2 disc version some day. But that's probably years off, and I'm sure it will be only the first film that gets that treatment. The set was put together in 1999, but it was truly ahead of its time.
Old 10-21-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually watched the whole set again this past week (including Disc 8). It really is worth it.
Old 10-22-03, 12:29 AM

I saw it for $59.99 at Costco. Got mine at DDD for $55 though, great deal.