Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars:Rebel Strike Gamespot&IGN reviews

Heh accidentally deleted the other thread. Dunno what I was thinking :bonk:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/act...n3/review.html

Score 7.8

Last paragraph
When you break down the facts, Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike is a solid package that's overflowing with gameplay and plenty of geek appeal for the Star Wars fan. Perhaps the value of some of its components is questionable, and there's a segment of the audience that's probably just tired of Star Wars games by now, but for the most part Rebel Strike offers an entertaining gameplay experience with an exceptional amount of replay value. Jaded gamers may be wondering how much longer LucasArts can continue to mine the Star Wars franchise for solid gameplay ideas, and if Rebel Strike is any indication, the answer is: At least a little bit longer.
For comparison
Rogue Squadron on the N64 a 7.9
Rogue Leader:Rogue Squadron 2 on the GC a 9.4

IGN Review
http://cube.ign.com/articles/455/455717p1.html

Score 8.3

Last paragraphs
Closing Comments
Rebel Strike is a worthy follow-up to Rogue Squadron II in just about every way. It's all around more epic. There are more levels, bigger environments, a greater sense of intensity as the battles unfold, and parts of it are significantly more beautiful -- a commendable accomplishment.
While the game's flight missions are still its most enjoyable, some of the ground-based craft areas deliver a good deal of entertainment, too -- from the controlling of AT-STs to blazing-fast races through the forests of Endor. There is, simply, a lot of fun packed in between these kinds of stages.

But unfortunately, Factor 5's own ambitious plan has also backfired in some parts as the third-person on-foot missions -- about twenty percent of the game -- feel unrefined and in some cases malfunctioned. In short, they just don't live up to the otherwise very solid level of Rebel Strike, and this is a big disappointment. It's because of these clunky missions that we've scored this year's game lower than its predecessor, despite the fact that it has made great strides in many other areas and is technically even more extraordinary.

Between a superb two-player cooperative mode -- an absolute must play, in my opinion -- a fun versus mode, and a for-the-most-part engaging single-player experience, there's a lot to do and a lot of satisfaction to be found. And I don't think Star Wars fans should ignore Rebel Strike because of a few poor on-foot missions.

Recommended.

--Matt Casamassina

Another Take
When Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader released at the launch of GameCube I was blown away. Naturally, because of the huge leap in visuals and technical savvy as well as the realization of the world and style Factor 5 had been trying to hard to create for years. The amount of TIEs, the more complex AI, and fast approach to making it look and feel like the movies. I was a little miffed the control mechanics hadn't progressed, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.
Now, two years later, Factor 5 has tried to push the envelope by diversifying the gameplay experience and giving fans much of what they've wanted. More scenes from the movie: check, beautiful high-quality you find anywhere else. Orchestrated audio instead of MIDI: check. Multiplayer: check and check, a wonderfully entertaining cooperative mode of the entire last game and deathmatch. All this is fantastic. Combine it with the many dozens of additional TIEs on the screen, the significantly improved visuals, as well as the new locations, and Rebel Strike stands to be the best game in the series yet. But there are a few issues that are cause for concern, one of those being an ongoing personal quibble.

Rebel Strike includes a number of new vehicle-based gameplay missions, on AT-STs usually, and these are nice. However, the on-foot action isn't satisfying so much as it is novel. It's really simple and, in the end, not refined enough to make it a valid edition -- the flying is just so much more fun and palatable.

The personal issue I've had consistently with the last few versions, including Battle for Naboo, is the flying mechanics. They worked in the late '90s when Rogue was just getting kicked off, but with the GameCube iterations -- Rogue Leader and now Rebel Strike -- the flight controls need revamping. They feel outdated and harshly contrast with the highly polished visuals. When dogfighting with TIEs you still have to roll with the Z-trigger, speed up and pull upward, essentially mocking a sharp turn, and then roll back to a level position. It can make for some really frustrating moments, and it's exaggerated by the still-hard-to-read radar and stiff camera.

In the end, I highly recommend Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike to those that are planning on playing cooperatively. It's fantastic for all the DVD content, too. However, if you were only a casual fan of the last, I suggest you rent first.

-- Fran Mirabella III
Old 10-22-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

gah, my comments in the other thread were deleted! I forgot what I said. And everything I say is important too.

Anyway, I'm picking this one up (thanks to the TRU deal), because it seems like overall the content of the article had a lot of praise for the game and they enjoyed it and didn't complain about anything other than the foot missions. The flying portions sound like they are blast .
Old 10-23-03, 10:57 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this out? I thought it came out Tuesday, but I was out of town and didn't have a message from EB saying it was in.
Old 10-23-03, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Is this out? I thought it came out Tuesday, but I was out of town and didn't have a message from EB saying it was in.
I saw a ton of copies at my local EB this past Tuesday.
Old 10-23-03, 11:57 AM
Retired

Guess I need to give them a call.
Old 10-23-03, 12:09 PM
Retired

They have it, don't know why they didnt' call. Hopefully they have a record of my pre-order as I lost the receipt.
Old 10-23-03, 01:18 PM

Took me quite awhile to find the game yesterday, only place that had it was Eb.
Old 10-23-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Picked it up no prob today at TRU...
Old 10-24-03, 10:57 AM
Retired

Got mine at EB last night with no problems. Guess they just didn't bother calling.

Can't believe there isn't more discussion on this as it was on sevearl people's "most anticipated" lists.

Anyway, I played through 6 levels last night (the first one and the first 5 of luke's) and was very impressed.

It's not a vast improvement on Rogue Leader, but the graphics are better, and there is a lot more variety in the gameplay.

It also totally nails the star wars atmosphere. With the video clips and what not it reminds me a lot of LOTR: TTT in terms of being a great game version of a movie.
Old 10-24-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Got mine at EB last night with no problems. Guess they just didn't bother calling.

Can't believe there isn't more discussion on this as it was on sevearl people's "most anticipated" lists.

Anyway, I played through 6 levels last night (the first one and the first 5 of luke's) and was very impressed.

It's not a vast improvement on Rogue Leader, but the graphics are better, and there is a lot more variety in the gameplay.

It also totally nails the star wars atmosphere. With the video clips and what not it reminds me a lot of LOTR: TTT in terms of being a great game version of a movie.
Good to hear that it's cool. I still haven't beat Rogue Leader...

How is the "on foot" stuff? That seems to be the biggest complaint about the game I've heard so far.

Last edited by Draven; 10-24-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Draven
Good to hear that it's cool. I still haven't beat Rogue Leader...

How is the "on foot" stuff? That seems to be the biggest complaint about the game I've heard so far.
The camera is the bad part of on foot. If you go the wrong direction, you ofter loose sight of yourself.
Old 10-24-03, 09:33 PM
Retired

I've logged a good bit of time on the game today, probably 5 hours straight or so.

I'd give it an 8/10.

I'd love to give it more, but the problem is it's just too easy. It took me a good while to get through the regular missions in Rogue Leader. However, I've already gotten through all the regular missions and 2 of the bonus, unlockable missions in Rebel Strike already.

I probably beat 3/4's of the missions on my first try. The only sticking points were the speeder bike mission on endor (hard as hell, took an hour and a half of straight trying to beat it) and the last mission on Wedge's side.

The added variety is great, speeder bikes, AT-ST's AT-AT's, new hunter ties, and on foot missions. Unfortunately, the on fott missions fall a little short. I don't think they are as bad as others are saying, but they are certainly mediocre at best. The camera angles suck and they are all just flat out easy to get through. But still, they are a relatively small portion of the game and do offer a good change of pace.
Old 10-25-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got it today thru the TRU Deal along with F-Zero & Tiger Woods 04'

I only had a chance to play the mulit-player for about an hour and a half. That alone made me happy with my purchase. Theres some cool verus modes(and some that kinda suck as well ) And CO-OP For Rouge Leader. It Kicks Ass!

Won't get a chance til monday to get into the single player mode
Old 10-25-03, 09:46 AM
Retired

Yeah, I'd say the multiplayer (haven't tried it myself) is the one thing that will make this worth $50.

The single player is just too easy, especially compared to Rogue Leader. I figure it will probably offer more of a challenge to people new to the series. But if you played the hell out of the first 2 games like me, you should be able to breeze through. The medals are pretty tough still though, so it will take me a while to unlock the last few (think there's 3 more, for a total of 5) bonus levles.
Old 10-25-03, 11:46 PM
fab

annoying loading pauses?

I picked up Rebel Strike and found that the game has really annoying loading pauses. Several times between mission segments the whole game pauses on a black screen for 3-5 seconds for what seems to be loading times.

Is anyone else experiencing this or do I have a bad copy?

--
fab
Old 10-26-03, 10:42 AM
Retired

I'm getting those as well. So it's just normal loading time. It is way too long for a GC game, expecially given that it didn't occur in Rogue Leader as best I can remember.

That, combined with the shoddieness of the on foot missions, just indicate that the game was rushed. It's still a very good game, but I bet delaying it until next spring would have turned it into a great game. It just needs another coat of polish.
Old 10-26-03, 02:31 PM
Retired

Just a heads up to those that missed out on the Bonus Disc, don't worry about it. There's nothing on that disc (besides the Gladius trailer) that's not in the final game.

The SW Arcade game (as well as the Empire Strikes Back Arcade game) are on the disc, as is the teaser trailer for Rebel Strike. Just go into special features, and they'll be there after you unlock them.

I'm not sure how you unlock them, I had already beaten all the regular levels and 2 bonus ones before going in, and they (along with the making of documentary) were unlocked.

Currently I've beaten all the regular levels, and 3 of the 5 bonus levels. I need 5 more points to unlock one more bonus level, and that just leaves 30 points to unlock the endurance level which I could care less about.

Needless to say I'm throughly dissapointed that I spent $50 on this game, and am that far along in less than 10 hours of play.
Old 10-27-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
I'm getting those as well. So it's just normal loading time. It is way too long for a GC game, expecially given that it didn't occur in Rogue Leader as best I can remember.

That, combined with the shoddieness of the on foot missions, just indicate that the game was rushed. It's still a very good game, but I bet delaying it until next spring would have turned it into a great game. It just needs another coat of polish.
Disappointed to hear about the loading times. Rogue Leader definately didn't have any of those. Or if they did they were hidden by poignant movies or cut scenes.

Some of the Print magazines hailed it as one of the biggest dissapointment in video games. Nice to know that that isn't necessarily the case.

Unfortunately for them Lucas Arts games tend to drop in price pretty quickly so I'll wait until it hits around $20.
Old 10-27-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
So can anyone confirm that everything on the free demo disk is also included in the actual game? I missed out on the demo disk... but EGM says that the original Star Wars game is included on the full version as well...
Old 10-27-03, 12:15 PM
Retired

Look two posts above.

Yes everything on the bonus disc (except the gladius trailer) is unlockable in the final game.
Old 10-27-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a heads up to those that missed out on the Bonus Disc, don't worry about it. There's nothing on that disc (besides the Gladius trailer) that's not in the final game.

The SW Arcade game (as well as the Empire Strikes Back Arcade game) are on the disc, as is the teaser trailer for Rebel Strike. Just go into special features, and they'll be there after you unlock them.
Return of the Jedi Arcade Game is in there as well..

Im gonna have flashbacks playing that again, last time and only time i played it was at Disneyland in '89..

.Currently I've beaten all the regular levels, and 3 of the 5 bonus levels. I need 5 more points to unlock one more bonus level, and that just leaves 30 points to unlock the endurance level which I could care less about.

Needless to say I'm throughly dissapointed that I spent $50 on this game, and am that far along in less than 10 hours of play.
For myself personally, I looked at this as a must buy for the mulit-player aspect. The Solo-Mission to me is an added bonus. Im pretty happy with the overall game and i get to play the game with some buds, instead of them bitching about not getting to play.

From the few solo missions i have played, the camera was seriously screwed up, it could have been better but the overall product is worth the $50 IMO.
Old 10-27-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just started playing it, but I'm really enjoying it. the on foot levels are much better than the reviews are saying. It does seem a bit easier, part 2 was hard. The thing i love about this game, is that the story follows the original trilogy, but as side missions that visit locals and enemies from the new trilogy.
Old 10-28-03, 10:33 AM
Retired

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
Return of the Jedi Arcade Game is in there as well..
Guess I haven't unlocked that yet. I wish they'd put in Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. These vector graphics games are fun for about 5 minutes. But their just bonuses so no big deal.

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves

For myself personally, I looked at this as a must buy for the mulit-player aspect. The Solo-Mission to me is an added bonus. Im pretty happy with the overall game and i get to play the game with some buds, instead of them bitching about not getting to play.
I'm exactly the opposite. I have no friends who are in to gaming and haven't played a single multiplayer game since last March.
Old 10-28-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I haven't unlocked that yet. I wish they'd put in Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. These vector graphics games are fun for about 5 minutes. But their just bonuses so no big deal.

I thought the SNES Star Wars/Empire/Jedi would have been a great bonus, perhaps in the future.
Old 10-28-03, 12:55 PM
Retired

Yeah those would have been great, though I still have my SNES hooked up and have SW and ROTJ.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.