Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Review Request: Tati's Playtime - French Release

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-20-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

I understand that the new French version of Playtime is now out and is from a remastered version of the film.

I'm a fan of Tati's work and would love to know how the DVD is as I'm tempted to order it.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...it's a two-disc release with many extras --- and, apparently, no English subs on any of the latter...

. . . . . .
Old 10-21-03, 11:40 AM

Before anyone gets their hopes up, that listing indicates a 150 minute running time, which is incorrect. It is the 126 minute version released at Cannes in 2002 that is on the disc. Quality of the release is excellent, but there are indeed no English subs for those who need them.
Old 10-21-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Shiv,

I believe I read that David Lynch discusses the film as an extra. Is this true and are his comments in English or French?

Thanks
Old 10-21-03, 01:46 PM

No, unless I really missed it, it appears that the Lynch interview didn't make it on the disc, unless as an easter egg, because I couldn't find it. Lynch appears in a featurette detailing the Cannes premeire of the restored Playtime, where they put together an elaborate presentation based on Tati's films. The box states that Lynch is within, as well as Michel Piccoli, but both only appear in that Cannes featurette (Piccoli plays Hulot at the premiere, looking eerily like the real thing). The disc is well worth getting if you're a fan of the film, though. I can post more about the disc later, when I have it in front of me. One intriguing but superfluous extra has kids doing paintings based on a given still from the film, which was amusing. There's a making of and a bio featurette on Tati also, among other things.