Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dvd Shops In London?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Dvd Shops In London?

Old 10-20-03, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dvd Shops In London?

Other than the majors (HMV, TOWER, VIRGIN) where else can I purchase Region 2 dvds used or new?

Thanks-going to the UK in November and would appreciate the help

Old 10-20-03, 02:07 AM
JM1

Larry, without question the best place to buy DVD's in Central London is the Cinemastore, in Upper St Martins Lane (just opposite Stringfellows nightclub), Just between Leicester Square and Covent Garden.

It is primarily a sci fi/Fantasy shop, but they sell tons of film related merchandise, and have a very wide selection of DVD's.
Old 10-20-03, 12:06 PM

Remember that you can claim back VAT at customs.

When you buy stuff in the stores in the UK, (except food, childrens clothing and some other stuff) the price you see includes the UK sales tax known as VAT (value-added-tax). It's not like the Us where prices are usually quoted *** + tax and the tax is added at the tills. If you intend to take these items back home to the US then you can claim back the tax at customs. For a couple of DVDs it's probably not worth it but if you buy enough or get some other larger item it could save you a pretty penny. I think you just need to present your sales receipt and maybe your passport but I'm not exactly sure.

Also, Heathrow and Gatwick airports have DVD/record stores in their duty-free sections so you can always pick up some tax-free DVDs while you are in the airport lounge waiting for your flight back home.

Hopefully someone else can give you exact details on the VAT claim process. I do that it is done without knowing precise details.
Old 10-20-03, 02:38 PM

JM1's recommendation is a good one in terms of stock - The Cinema Store do carry some interesting titles (although the R1 discs presumably won't be of much interest as you can pick them up in LA!). However, it is *prohibitively* expensive, and for many of the R2 titles you'd like to buy you're best to try elsewhere (even the big chains like HMV etc).

One store I'd recommend is Fopp in Covent Garden - they have quite a range of DVDs, and almost always have a lot of big reductions on offer.

Dazza.
Old 10-20-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, as someone who lives in the UK and owns nearly 700 DVDs, I've never purchased a DVD in the high street. It's just too damn expensive.

If you're staying for a decent period of time, order them online and have them delivered to your hotel If you do this, make sure you use an online retailer that ships quickly and has the items in stock, however!

If you must buy on the high street, look out for stores such as Woolworths, WH Smiths and MVC. These are chain retail stores that sell a variety of products, as well as DVDs. They often have some good deals (though again, rarely cheaper than online). You'll need to shop outside of the 'West End' (Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Covent Garden, etc) to find these.

Beware of buying 'duty free' goods at the airport. These are indeed duty free, but the price before knocking off VAT has been increased. You can almost always get a better deal outside of the airport.

Last edited by Squirrel God; 10-20-03 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 11:55 PM

I realize that buying on-line is cheaper and etailers like Amazon UK don't charge the VAT, but picking up some used dvds may be the way to go if the price is right!

Thanks for all of your insight, anyone wanna hook up for a shopping extravaganza?

Larry
Old 10-24-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stay away from Cinema Store - Unbelievably overpriced. For a laugh check out the prices of their R1 stock.

Squirrel God gives some good advice there. London chains (HMV, Virgin etc) are worth checking out if they have sales on. Recently (shock, horror) some of their in-store reductions have been cheaper than even on-line prices.
Old 10-24-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so.... are there any places that sell used DVDs in London?...
Old 10-25-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... not a "shop" as such, but an on-line place that sells used DVDs...

. . . . . .
Old 05-30-04, 05:20 PM

Are places like HMV and Cinema Store good for foreign/art R2 releases?
Old 05-30-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JonnyH

Hopefully someone else can give you exact details on the VAT claim process. I do that it is done without knowing precise details.
Anyone else have any more information on this process?
Old 06-01-04, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by Phyre
Are places like HMV and Cinema Store good for foreign/art R2 releases?
HMV - especially the one in Oxford Street - carry a decent stock of world cinema DVDs, and seem to have a semi-permanent sale where many of their Tartan, Artificial Eye etc. releases are on offer.

As I (& others) have mentioned, best avoid the Cinema Store unless money is no object... it really is expensive, and they seem to put more emphasis on R1 stuff anyway. You'll find a better range of world cinema DVDs at shops like HMV, & will find it at a better price...

Dazza.