Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fiend without a Face - Criterion Collection... Advice

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just showed up in my recommendations list on Amazon and it sparked a memory I had of a movie that I could never ever remember the title of that I saw as a kid on the Friday night "Creature Feature".

I remember loving this movie and I was wondering if anyone out there has the DVD and whether or not they consider it worth the $35+. I'm considering a blind buy but honestly my memory of the movie isn't THAT good.

Any advice? Do the extras make it worth the extra cash?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-19-03, 08:51 PM

I bought this movie for the same reason. So far I think this and the Blob are great Criterion releases. I can't remember how much I paid for this movie but I think it was worth every penny.
Old 10-19-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, my first thought is to pick it up used somewhere but if you want it new Deepdiscountdvd has it for $28.76 with free shipping.

I have it but can't recommend it highly. Seems to do well with folks that remember it from late night television. YMMV.
Old 10-20-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Yes, YMMV.

I have it on VCD and it is every bit as slow as I remember... the story really picks up during the final, memorable 10 minutes.

I loved the film as a kid, (watched it on Ch.5's Creature Feature on Saturdays in NY) and as an adult, I still find it enjoyable... but it is a far cry from the action-packed, over-the-top films of today.

Even though I still enjoy it, it isn't worth $35 to me... it isn't even worth $20. I suggest renting it from Netflix (where I had rented it) or from a local mom-n-pop rental place to refresh your memory to help make a decision.

Last edited by sracer; 10-20-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was one of those must-have-immediately-on-release-date-no-matter-what-the-cost titles for me!
Old 10-20-03, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I grew up on this one, too, and it's a wild ride! Nothing much to recommend it --- the acting is mediocre at best (the guy who plays the mayor is downright awful), the "love interest" is boring and obviously used to pad the movie to feature length, the production values are very basic --- until the end. The producers must have blown most of their wad on the final fifteen minutes, because they alone turn this movie into an instant cult classic. I guarantee that, like it or not, once you have seen this film you will never forget it. How many cheesy sci-films from the fifties can you say that about?
Old 10-22-03, 05:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
for region free/2 folks

there is a region 2/4 DVD out... about $15 USD..

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000079761

haven't seen a review though...

personally, this is the most I would pay for this.