Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Malata DVP-520 suitable as a primary player?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More
View Poll Results: Is the Malata DVP-520 suitable as your only DVD player?
Yes
50.00%
No
28.57%
It depends...please explain.
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I don't have a region free DVD player and thanks to this forum, I've done a bit of research on a potential player to get.

Right now I have a Sony DVP-NS400D as my only player and I don't have any complaints. Given potential space problems and the fact that I may be moving in the near future, I don't know if I really want to have two DVD players. So I want to know if you think the Malata is suitable as my one and only player. If not, are there any region free players that would be suitable?

I posted a poll to get a quick and dirty look at your opinions, but what I really want is some discussion on this subject. Thanks.

Old 10-19-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the Malata N-996 as my primary player and have no complaints. I got it for the region free capabilities, but what really sold me on the player is the scaling feature which eliminates overscan.

As for the DVP-520, it's essentially the same player as the N-996. The only real differences are the lack of overheating problems that plagued a lot of the N-996s, the smaller dimensions of the machine, and the improved handling of subtitles on certain discs(Shaolin Soccer comes to mind).

The main drawback is that the remote doesn't have a power button, so you have to switch off the player manually every time. I'm not complaining because I'm too lazy to get up and turn it off(it's not like I don't have to get up and remove the DVD anyway). But this results in the scaling feature reseting itself whenever you switch off the power. The N-996 remote does have a power button, hence it's remained my primary player for the time being.
Old 10-20-03, 10:18 AM

Get the Philips 727 as your primary. Unless you have issues with the "angle icon" problem noted in this very forum. It is my primary and I hardly ever use anything else since its arrival. Wish I had stock in this company.
Old 10-20-03, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Doughboy

The main drawback is that the remote doesn't have a power button, so you have to switch off the player manually every time.
I too am thinking about the 520 and I'm curious, any idea if this drawback could by curbed by coding a universal remote for powering?

....thanks
Old 10-20-03, 06:36 PM

I have the Malata N996. I have no issues with it. In fact the machine went down (I think due to overheating). Although I had owned for 14mths. I called the Malata distributor in Canada and they repaired it for me at no charge. They upgraded the part that overheated so it would not happen again.

I wanted a 2nd player so I purchased the Philips 727. Sent it back 'cause the permanent ICON problem is a nightmare for me. I am looking into the Toshiba 3950. is there a hack for that product?
Old 10-21-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rice Sniffer
I too am thinking about the 520 and I'm curious, any idea if this drawback could by curbed by coding a universal remote for powering?

....thanks
I doubt Malata would supply anyone a Power code if they didn't include it on the player remote. Most-likely non-existant.
Old 10-21-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's what I use and other than the power button, no complaints. Lot's of flexibility for changing the picture for those non-anamorphic titles (e.g., zoom, pan, x-y scaling).
Old 10-22-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
The Malatas are very good as far as region-free players go, but I recommend keeping a dedicated Region 1 machine because you can get a lot better quality from one of those. I only use my Malata on foreign discs. I wouldn't make it my primary player.
Old 10-23-03, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
The Malatas are very good as far as region-free players go, but I recommend keeping a dedicated Region 1 machine because you can get a lot better quality from one of those. I only use my Malata on foreign discs. I wouldn't make it my primary player.
Yeah, I get the feeling that people use their Region 1 DVD players for their Region 1 DVDs and their region-free players for everything else. I guess I'll just keep my current player and get a cheaper region-free like the Philips DVD727, which seems pretty popular on this forum.

Old 10-27-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that answered no, I'd be interested to know what their Region 1 player is. (I'd been thinking about doing likewise - getting a separate R1 dedicated player and was wondering what to get).
Old 10-27-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by TaeKwon
I am looking into the Toshiba 3950. is there a hack for that product?
According to this site, the answer is NO.

http://www.vcdhelp.com
Old 10-28-03, 12:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

See also: Anyone use a Malata as their primary (or only player)??
Old 10-28-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn benedict, you're always able to find an old thread.

Instead of the Philips 727, I ordered the Cyber Home 500 from Amazon in case I ever need to disable Macrovision (I'm still not too sure what the hell it is after reading about it). If I don't like it, I may just give it to my mom so she can watch Korean movies and I'll buy a different player.

Old 10-28-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am looking to unload my Cyberhome due to the very heavy red pish for the Malata But I am in no rush. I have 3 players....really only need 1.
Old 10-29-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been using mine as a primary for months with no complaints.
Old 10-29-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Damn benedict, you're always able to find an old thread.

Instead of the Philips 727, I ordered the Cyber Home 500 from Amazon in case I ever need to disable Macrovision (I'm still not too sure what the hell it is after reading about it). If I don't like it, I may just give it to my mom so she can watch Korean movies and I'll buy a different player.

I am having great results with the Cyberhome 500. It has a few annoyances, but it works well for me.

I have two primaries (Region 1) as other DVD players.
Old 11-01-03, 07:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My Primary is the Panasonic RP91, all region hacked. My secondary is the Malata 520. I used to own a N996. I really like the 520. It has improved subtitle playback over the N996, but still cannot display "Fade" subtitles (ala Phantom Menace). I usew the RP91 for most of my viewing simply to protect my investment in the 520. I want it to last as long as possible.

The CYberhome is a very cheap player and gives many HDTV's serious problems. I tried two, one which I even sent to Cyberhome for an upgrade and both sucked the big one. They simply were not compatible with my Panasonic HDTV.
Old 11-01-03, 09:22 PM

Once I figured out the correct settings for the malata, I haven't had any problems. I don't use it for my primary player (I've got a JVC 7 disc changer), but I would be comfortable using it as my primary. One thing, though. Use a universal remote. The malata remote is the worst dvd remote I've ever used.