Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So...the WB Presents "the Texas Chainsaw Massacre" made 29mil...?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Chainsaw' Massacres Box Office Rivals

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Bloodshed continues to rule at theaters.

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,'' the remake of the 1974 horror tale that helped launch the modern slasher genre, debuted as the top weekend movie with $29.1 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Playing in 3,016 theaters, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'' averaged a strong $9,649 a cinema, compared to a $4,298 average in 2,815 theaters for "Runaway Jury'' and a $7,059 average in 1,467 cinemas for "Mystic River.''

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'' stars Jessica Biel as one of a group of friends stranded in a Texas town, where they are preyed on by a clan of cannibals, including chainsaw killer Leatherface.

In its first weekend, the movie took in three times its $9.5 million production budget. Three-fourths of the audience was younger than 25, while the crowds were evenly split between men and women.

Biel's presence helped draw women into a gory genre flick that more typically appeals to men, said Russell Schwartz, head of domestic marketing for New Line, which released "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.''

"But also, women love to be scared, perhaps more than men,'' Schwartz said. "It's only the gory part that helps turn off the female audience, not so much the scary part."
It's sad that this will be the first exposure to this story for many moviegoers [instead of the original].

Now that it made $29mil, does that mean that there will be more..?

LINK to what fellow DVD Talkers thought about it.

LINK to G. Noel Gross' Texas trip.

edited for clarity.

Last edited by Rogue588; 10-19-03 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: So...the WB Presents "the Texas Chainsaw Massacre" made 29mil...?

Originally posted by Rogue588
It's sad that this will be the first exposure to this story instead of the original.

Now that it made $29mil, does that mean that there will be more..?

Considering it grossed 3 times its budget in one weekend, you can count on more. Sad yes, but hey, thats Hollywood, and thats business. When they find a way to make a profit, they will milk it until its dead. Making money is #1.
Old 10-19-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
So does this mean that there will be a remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?
Old 10-19-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

leatherface will return.

but...

Spoiler:
with only one arm.

that should be funny.
Old 10-19-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Biel's presence helped draw women into a gory genre flick that more typically appeals to men, said Russell Schwartz, head of domestic marketing for New Line, which released "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.''

i'd honestly think her presence would help bring men in (since its a horror movie, they might have been expecting t&a but were disapointed)
Old 10-19-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt Biel's presense helped draw any more women. She might be some nice eye candy for the guys, but I doubt any long time 7th Heaven viewer would be watching TCM. The main reason why women might be drawn to it is it's simply a date movie. Go with your boyfriend. simple as that
Old 10-19-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I doubt Biel's presense helped draw any more women. She might be some nice eye candy for the guys, but I doubt any long time 7th Heaven viewer would be watching TCM. The main reason why women might be drawn to it is it's simply a date movie. Go with your boyfriend. simple as that
Agreed, besides Jessica isn't even that hot.
Old 10-19-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by the aftermath
Agreed, besides Jessica isn't even that hot.
Old 10-19-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
she doesn't have any nipples either...
Old 10-19-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read an interview with Michael Bay where he mentioned if TCM was a success they would consider doing a prequel.