Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why does the Discovery Channel do such lousy DVD packaging?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's no secret that television shows on DVD is one of, if not the hottest thing about DVDs, right now. Discovery Channel offers many of their programs on DVD, some only available through their website and their Discovery stores. But why do they produce and price them in such a manner so that the casual consumer or the DVD collector would decide against buying them?

Case in point: I watched the three episodes of "We Built This City", explaining the evolutions and histories of Paris, Manhattan and London. It was a very interesting series and it was the reason I looked at the Discovery website. It was there, as most of their recent shows are available on DVD. But, with a single 50 minute episode on each DVD, no extras and a price tag of $21.95 per disc or $44.95 for the set, there's no way I or most other people would buy this.

They could have easily put all three episodes on one disc, put a $25 price tag on it and have a lot better chance at making sales. I realize their more popular series like Blue Planet get to mainstream stores and e-tailers with lower price tags. But even if they were to sell their present set for $25, I'd think about it, considering the amount of space a three-disc set takes with so little content.

All of their DVD offerings are like this. Low running times on each disc (50-100 minutes on each disc), little or no extras and high price tags. They could easily do better just by putting more episodes on one disc. So why don't they?

What say you? Would you be willing to buy these as they are? To give an e-tailer comparison: Blue Planet: 4 disc set, 100 minutes per disc, $40. Not too bad. Life of Mammals: 4 disc set, 50 minutes per disc, $60. Not so good. Or have more of an interest if they were packaged and priced better?

Last edited by RKillgore; 10-17-03 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 02:18 AM

I agree with you 100%. I have wanted lots of episodes from the Discovery Channel, but the high price tag throws me off every single time. Its rediculous how high it is. Until they lower the price, put more episodes per disk, or even enclude some extras, I will not buy any of them.
Old 10-18-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would imagen that the buy rate isn't as high as say the typical blockbuster. so the cost of production is a bit more for each dvd. were as you can order a million copies of matrix reloaded no problem, but you can't over stock with Discovery channel since they are looking at teachers as their main buyers.
Old 10-18-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I fired off the same questions to Discovery Channel themselves through their website and got a reply in a few hours. Surprising, considering it was a Saturday afternoon.

Here's their reply:
Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us in regard to our DVD pricing. They will be passed on to our program management and executives and will be taken into consideration. Comments such as yours are very important to us, as viewer opinions tell us what we can improve on and what our audience enjoys. It is these types of comments that create change and improve programming.
Pretty much a standard reply and it didn't directly answer my questions. However, if we let them know what sort of potential market they have and that they're holding themselves back from it, we may actually make some positive change. So if anyone is slightly interested in what Discovery has to offer, but you'd like a more consumer friendly package, take a few minutes to send them a message. The address for their contact page is http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations. So, c'mon everybody! Don't be afraid to pitch in your two cents.

And if you go there, you'll see they request some demographic information, which may be a clue to their unrealized markets. They ask for an age group and their choices are
Under 13
13-18
Over 18
So, maybe they do think their main buyers are schools and teachers to show to high school students.
Old 10-18-03, 09:47 PM

Didn't realize the Discovery Channel offered exclusive DVDs. This looks similar to what A&E has been doing for their product line. All are over priced, no menus, plain packaging, and each is recorded to a DVD+R by an individual. A&E offers this type of service for the A&E, History, & Biography channel lineups. Here's more info on their setup (http://store.aetv.com/html/dvdlibrary_popup.jhtml). Wouldn't be surprise if the Discovery Channel started this to compete with the A&E exclusives.
Old 10-19-03, 01:35 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rdodolak
All are over priced, no menus, plain packaging, and each is recorded to a DVD+R by an individual.
Wow, I want the job of mastering those DVDs, talk about a cake walk.