Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Greenaway 'Special Editions' from BFI

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-17-03, 10:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the chance to hear Mr. Greenawa speak last night at the DC screening of "The Tulse Luper Suitcases: Part 1 The Moab Story" and the the 'special expanded event' film version of "Episode 3, Antwerp. Not only did he mention that the Tulse Luper movies would be spread across some 92 DVD's (!). He mentioned that the BFI would shortly be releasing some of his video work and early films on DVD's, well to suffice to say I was very excited so I researched this tidbit this morning and here's what I found in regards to his comment:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/stories/2003-07-28-green

Peter Greenaway films on DVD
In newly remastered digitally restored editions, available from bfi Video in late Autumn 2003. Details on exact release dates, and when they can be purchased will appear closer to the release time.

The Draughtsman's Contract
DVD extras include, Commentary by Peter Greenaway, Introduction by Peter Greenaway, trailers, Behind the scenes footage, Deleted Scenes, Interview with Michael Nyman.

A Zed and Two Noughts
DVD extras include, Commentary by Peter Greenaway, Introduction by Peter Greenaway and behind the scenes footage.

Peter Greenaway: The Early Films Part 1.
Contains the short films, Dear Phone, Intervals, H is for House, Water Wrackets, Windows and the featurette A Walk Through H. bonus items include Introduction by Peter Greenaway, Peter Greenaway artworks and archives.

Peter Greenaway: The Early Films Part 2
Contains the feature film The Falls and featurette Vertical Features Remake. Bonus items include Introduction by Peter Greenaway, Peter Greenaway artworks and archives, and alternative thematic menus.
Old 10-17-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
commentary tracks

This is fantastic news, but I want to know where his other films are. Prospero's Books is just begging for a release. Draughtsman's Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts have both been available R1 for a long time. There are plenty of his other films that have never been released on DVD or are long OOP, like the R2 Japan releases.

Hopefully this will bring more of his films out on DVD. Thanks for the news Giles.
Old 10-17-03, 10:55 AM

Hmm, amazon.co.uk lists (and this is odd) that Early Films vol 1 will be out on October 20th, but Vol 2 has been out since the 10th

No mention of the the other films yet.
Old 10-17-03, 11:17 AM

I'm eagerly awaiting these discs as well, particularly to see the footage cut from Draughtsman's Contract; I believe the film was almost four hours long originally? Anyhow, here's a link to an excerpt from Greenaway's commentary published in The Guardian. And where is a decent release of The Baby of Macon??
Old 10-17-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh man, thank you for the news Giles, this is excellent.
how was the first part of the 'Suitcase?
Old 10-17-03, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
commentary tracks

This is fantastic news, but I want to know where his other films are. Prospero's Books is just begging for a release. Draughtsman's Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts have both been available R1 for a long time. There are plenty of his other films that have never been released on DVD or are long OOP, like the R2 Japan releases.

Hopefully this will bring more of his films out on DVD. Thanks for the news Giles.

Well, when I asked him rather bluntly why since he loves to merge technology and film together, since he used High Def cameras for 'Prospero's Book's' and the (non)availability of some of his more current films on DVD, his response was that all of his feature length films are availabe on DVD. I didn't want to get snotty and say well, yeah but the R4 Aussie edition fo 'Baby of Macon' I heard was a rather shoddy transfer and "Prospero on DVD, really, where?!" I am hoping and anxousily awaiting to see if the BFI can release deluxed edition of 'Baby' and 'Prospero', now that would icing on the cake.

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
oh man, thank you for the news Giles, this is excellent.
how was the first part of the 'Suitcase?
Part 1: The Moab Story is really quite amazing, it's my third favourite Greenaway film at the moment. Again, he intersperses multi layering, calligraphy, and SFX to great effect. The evening also had a screening of 'Episode 3, Antwerp' created for the Venice and Toronot Festival, which essentially is a pseudo teaser for the second part of the Trilogy with footage from Episode 4 and runs at 105 min. The imagry is even more stunning and the tone is more dramatic. Very impressive.
Old 10-17-03, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Shiv Shankly
I'm eagerly awaiting these discs as well, particularly to see the footage cut from Draughtsman's Contract; I believe the film was almost four hours long originally? Anyhow, here's a link to an excerpt from Greenaway's commentary published in The Guardian. And where is a decent release of The Baby of Macon??
Great link, thanks for that, interesting read. Of course, for those who haven't seen the film there are plenty of spoilers in it so be aware of that before you read it.
Old 10-17-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't come across it already there is also a discussion going on here :-

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=233985
Old 10-20-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Anyone who has read some of Greenaways' "Making of" books knows that he obsessively documents every detail about his movies' productions. There should be plenty of material available for fascinating DVD supplements.
Old 10-20-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
That is an odd comment regarding the availability of his films on DVD. Makes you wonder how aware or concerned he is regarding the presentation of his works for home video. I'm sure he's probably just way too busy to hand check DVD releases and I doubt he has much say in the quality anyway. Excellent that you got to talk with him. I'd love to meet the man and I'm really looking forward to these BFI discs.

A little while back I read that TARTAN would be releasing the TULSE films in the UK. I sure hope they are given a quality release.
Old 10-21-03, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Anyone who has read some of Greenaways' "Making of" books knows that he obsessively documents every detail about his movies' productions. There should be plenty of material available for fascinating DVD supplements.
I own the "Prospero's Books' film book and I can atest to the fact that there is a treasure trove of supplementary material (sketches, production stills, makeup tests, etc) that could easily be transferred (and welcomed) to DVD.
Old 10-21-03, 09:22 AM

My order of Early Films vol 1 & vol 2 has shipped from Play.com. Now I have to wait for my sister to bring them over to the US for me. I will see them around Nov 10. I can not wait
Old 10-22-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giles, I'm curious to know what you thought of the music for TULSE. I heard an excerpt of some music by the same composer and quite liked it. I'm hoping Greenaway has found someone as talented as Nyman.
Old 10-22-03, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by philo
Giles, I'm curious to know what you thought of the music for TULSE. I heard an excerpt of some music by the same composer and quite liked it. I'm hoping Greenaway has found someone as talented as Nyman.
well to be perfectly honest, I was so wrapped into the visual aspect of the film, that I kind of wasn't paying all that attention to the music, which might be a flawed aspect of the film. The music isn't as prominent, or recognizable as Nyman's scores. As Greenaway indicated in his dialogue between the movies, he was saying how on repeat viewings more information is relayed, I guess I should have payed more attention to the music in the second film.

What music from composer Borut Krzisnik were you listening to?
Old 10-22-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by philo
That is an odd comment regarding the availability of his films on DVD. Makes you wonder how aware or concerned he is regarding the presentation of his works for home video.
I think for the most part he doesn't give home video much of any thought. He is focused on presenting his movies theatrically, and in the past hasn't given a damn one way or the other about video.

Excellent that you got to talk with him. I'd love to meet the man

I'm a fan of most of his films, but in person the man comes across as quite a pompous boob. He boasts endlessly about how "cinemaaaaa" is dead and that the burden of narrative storytelling has killed it. Yet he's a hypocrite because his best films all have strong narratives.

I recommend just enjoying his works and not paying any attention to the personality of the artist behind them.

Originally posted by Giles
I own the "Prospero's Books' film book and I can atest to the fact that there is a treasure trove of supplementary material (sketches, production stills, makeup tests, etc) that could easily be transferred (and welcomed) to DVD.
The "Pillow Book" making-of is also excellent. (Another Greenaway movie that's gotten the shaft with a crappy pan & scan DVD!)
Old 10-22-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
What music from composer Borut Krzisnik were you listening to?
It's called Fire, a piece that I believe is from his "Stories from Magatrea."
Old 10-23-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any news on a new edition of "Drowning by Numbers?"

As I just got my Region 0 PAL edition last night and noticed that the transfer isn't - um - "all that."
Old 10-23-03, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by grunter
Any news on a new edition of "Drowning by Numbers?"

As I just got my Region 0 PAL edition last night and noticed that the transfer isn't - um - "all that."
That is what I am waiting for. I really want a good release of this movie, and the only good one I know about was the R2 Japan release that has been OOP (afaik) for a while now.
Old 03-04-04, 10:39 AM

this pisses me off, since I didn't realize this was available, read about it over on the Home Theatre forum site (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=186609):

Greenaway Box Set (French Edition)

(I have an opened, unplayed copy of Zed for trade if anyone is interested)

Last edited by Giles; 03-04-04 at 10:50 AM.