Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn Of The Dead (Remake) TRAILER RELEASED

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/dawnofthedead/

I dunno what to think... Looks intresting.
Old 10-17-03, 07:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH NO! MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!

A big slick remake of Dawn Of The Dead? Did ANYONE think to ask WHY?

What's Romero's take on this?

(BTW, if you freeze the image in the right place you can see Tom Savini in one of the 'news reports', with the words 'Tom Savini - Los Angeles County Sheriff' below. His finger is pointed at his head - Yeah, we know, shoot 'em in the head.)
Old 10-17-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, zombies these days are a lot faster than they used to be.
Old 10-17-03, 08:08 AM

Ving Rhames is going to kick some zombie ass!!!
Looks like a silly, good time. I'll see it for Rhames and Phifer.
Old 10-17-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its looks pretty good.
Old 10-17-03, 09:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Not sure what to think of this one - could turn out to be good.

The trailer kicks some serious ass though!!!

Last edited by Geofferson; 10-17-03 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-17-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
woot... well, zombies look strange and fast.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-17-03 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-17-03, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mixed feelings; Romero's DotD is absolutely one of my favorite movies, of all time, in any genre, period. So much more than just a gorefest, it's a perfect combination of escapist fantasy and dark comedy. I love love love love love it.

So the idea of a remake is pretty much blasphemous.

And yet...I'm kinda looking forward to this. It has a good cast, and I liked the look of the trailer. All in all I hope for a solid zombie flick.

But, I really wish they'd drop the title and call it something else, and let it exist as its own thing. I can't imagine "Dawn of the Dead" will have enough name recognition with the wide audience they're trying to reach to make a big difference in sales. In fact, I'd think that the people who DO recognize "Dawn of the Dead" are going to mostly be the geeks (like myself) who will just bitch about "messing with a classic" anyway.

So, I'm torn about how I should feel...but I'll still definitely see it anyway.
Old 10-17-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
woot... well, zombies look strange and fast.
Yeah, they're all boxy, shiny and about 3000mhz faster...

(link didn't work the first time, took me to the Apple computer page)
Old 10-17-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
"Crouching Human, Hidden Zombie".... great, just great.

This is more of a remake of "Nightmare City / City of the Walking Dead" than it is of "Dawn of the Dead".
Old 10-17-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Notice the preggo looks like she's carrying a zombie baby?
Old 10-17-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This makes me about as sick as a movie can make a person. First off, Dawn of the Dead is my all-time favorite horror movie. Second, it's horror perfection which is a very rare thing to accomplish, so there is no need for a remake. Third, it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to make a decent movie with Mikai Pfeifer (sp?) in it, he is the death toll for movies IMO. And finally & MOST IMPORTANLY. . . ZOMBIES DO NOT MOVE FAST!!!! There is nothing scary about a zombie that is fast. Part of the allure & terror of them is the menacing plodding along. I would be really curious as to the age of the people that think this movie looks good. Many will lie anyway, but I am positive that it's most 20 & under that thinks this looks good. I don't mean that as an insult, just an observation.
Old 10-17-03, 02:27 PM

unfortunately I don't think we'll see zombies walk and drag along as they use to ever again

people today just do not have the capability to believe that zombies could take over if they arent running around.

ah well,cant wait for some newbie to say it's looks like a 28 Days Later rip-off
Old 10-17-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks pretty cool. As long as the original exists it doesn't matter how good or bad this turns out.

I'm glad Tom Savini is in it though.
Old 10-17-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I liked it for the first half of the trailer. I was thinking, okay, it looks like they might have the right tone for this. And then BANG, suddenly it starts looking the way I feared it would. Ugh.

I'm not against running zombies in principal. I thought it was great in Return of the Living Dead, but the slow stumbeling zombis rae miles more frightening.

One thing I am pleased to glean from the trailer, is that it isn't using the same characters. There's far too many and Ving Rhames looks more like a cop/security guard than a SWAT guy.

I'll go see it when it comes up, but I am in now way anticipating it.
Old 10-17-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whether accidental or on purpose, part of the appeal of DotD for me was the scenes of the zombies in the mall resembling your typical shoppers. I always laughed at the zombies on the escalators etc, because it reminds me of what I see at the mall, especially during Christmas season.

Fast zombies ruin this.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 10-17-03 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-17-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I'm in agreement with many who've posted. All these remakes of great horror movies.... No one has any new ideas anymore?
Old 10-17-03, 05:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I loved the original, but I have to admit that this looks interesting. I'm intrigued by the zombie baby.

Sarah Polley's presence does give one hope. She is notoriously picky about the scripts she chooses.
Old 10-17-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Add me to the list of people who prefer the shuffling, mindless zombies over the new running types. As for the trailer, I can't say whether it looks good or bad, too much MTV-style editing. However, I will likely see it. Heck, I even saw the woeful remake of Night of the Living Dead.

By the way, Tom Savini ROCKS.

Honk!
Old 10-17-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Up until the "Flying Squirrel" zombie appeared, I actually thought that I might be mistaken and that this remake was going to be good.

But sprinting zombies and a cast that looks like the rejects from the Scooby Doo movie try-outs snapped me back to reality.

The Night of the Living Dead remake was very well done IMO. It was an admirable re-telling of a well known story. Different enough to be interesting but true enough to the original to be respectful.
Old 10-17-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'm in agreement with many who've posted. All these remakes of great horror movies.... No one has any new ideas anymore?
well they do, just no one wants to back them up. Isn't Romero still looking for funding and a studio to work with to get the fourth zombie flick out?
Old 10-17-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It's like Hollywood's version of 28 Days Later or something. I think it'll be good. I've always felt that Romero was a no-talent hack, so maybe this film will be good in capable hands. I did like the original of this film though. I don't mind a remake. I also don't really mind that the zombies are fast now... I mean, I don't think today's audience would buy the idea that a person with a gun could get nabbed by some zombie that moved all slow. These are zombies 2.0.
Old 10-17-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

thing is, it's not just one person vs. one zombie. the numbers of zombies is what freaks people out. it's a All against 1 type of scenerio. no matter how much ammo you have, you can't take them all out. they are relentless.

I wouldn't mind the zombies being a little faster if say, they were newly turned zombies. since you figure the main reason the dead are slow is because rigamortis(sp) but to have them do a mad dash in the middle of the street seems waay to much.
Old 10-17-03, 07:46 PM

Yeah, I hate running zombies. All the zombies I've encountered in real life only stumble around and moan a lot. Christ, people. . It's a friggin' movie about people coming back from the dead and walking around. Let's try not to look like complete dweebs here. Walking very slow and moaning is NOT scary anyway. You can just casually walk around the zombies and push them out of your way. Don Zimmer could dominate those zombies, even. The only times the zombies were even remotely frightening in the original films were when they ganged up, and surprised some poor person ( Ex: Barbara being pulled out of the house by the zombies, The white cop in Dawn Of The Dead being bitten on the leg ). Now, the running zombies that came out of nowhere in a group and tackled people in Return Of The Living Dead. Those guys WERE scary. Not as scary as Ving Rhames' biceps, but still scary.

As for Sessa17's comment. Clockers, Paid In Full, 8 Mile, and O are all DECENT movies with M-e-k-h-i P-h-i-f-e-r. Oh, and I'm 22, I think this looks entertaining, and have seen the original Romero trilogy. Enjoyable stuff. Nothing to get worked up over.
Old 10-17-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Whether accidental or on purpose, part of the appeal of DotD for me was the scenes of the zombies in the mall resembling your typical shoppers. I always laughed at the zombies on the escalators etc, because it reminds me of what I see at the mall, especially during Christmas season.

Fast zombies ruin this.
Come down to South Florida, where any day of the year you can head out to a mall and watch the retirees shuffling along. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.