Community
Search

Stone Reader

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stone Reader

Don't know if anyone else has been anxiously awaiting this film on DVD, but I was. However, I hadn't heard any release date information on it. Then, today, I was in Barnes & Noble, and, lo and behold, there it was. It's being released by Barnes & Noble Video and is exclusive to their stores. Not sure of the picture or sound quality yet (though it's a low budget documentary, so I'm guessing they're both average-to-poor).

Anyone else that wants a copy of this wonderful film...it's onsale for $19.99 at B&N's all through the country.
Old 10-17-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just looked it up on B & N's site and there is apparently a 3 disc special edition coming on November 18th.

Features: Disc 1: Feature-length commentary. Book lists and web-links for readers.
Disc 2: Director Mark Moskowitz talks to Betty Kelly, Dow Mossman's original editor; Janet Maslin on-stage interview with Moskowitz; Roger Ebert leads Q&A on Stone Reader; William F. Buckley interviews Leslie Fiedler (1974 Firing Line); "A Look at Henry Roth: Connections Across Time;" further conversations with Frank Conroy, Robert Gottlieb, and others, including the full Leslie Fiedler interview; five deleted scenes; A.S. Byatt talks with Toni Morrison in 1984; five writers including Matt Klam, and Tom Carson discuss the book and movie after a screening; 30-minute featurette with interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and more lost books from the movie's theatrical tour; theatrical trailer.
Disc 3: Exclusive Footage: More than 1 hour of Dow Mossman, then, now, and elsewhere in time; outtakes including film from Moskowitz's first visit with Mossman, a re-union after 30 years with Mossman' professor, Bill Murray, plus Mossman and New York Times reviewer John Seelye; old photos of Mossman; Mossman's letters, and more.
Time: 4 Hours

This one's a bit too complete for me (even though it's my favorite movie this year), so I'll stick to the single disc...and perhaps a copy of Stones of Summer.
Old 10-17-03, 10:51 AM

I didn't know about the 3 disc when I bought it, but I don't regret getting the one disc. I would like to see Disc 3 though, particularly the reunion between Mossman and Murray.

I watched the film last night and had forgotten how much I loved it. I'm going to pick up a copy of the Stones of Summer this weekend. Video and audio quality of the film are perfectly respectable...though the audio (DD 2.0) is better than the video. The only special feature is a commentary with Moskowitz and Mossman. However, if there's only gonna be one special feature, that's a damned good one. Can't wait to listen to it.
Old 10-17-03, 10:54 AM

Forgot one thing I didn't like, and I don't remember this when I saw the film in the theater. Right before the final credits, there's a short ad for Barnes & Noble..."Stones of Summer has been out of print for 30 years. However, shortly after the release of this film, Barnes & Noble announced it would be placing the book back in print." Seemed a bit unnecessary, particularly since the back of the DVD case also provides this information with a picture of the book.
Old 10-18-03, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

After reading it was available here yesterday, I stopped by on the way home from work and picked it up. I had wanted to see it but it only played a couple days in my area.

I LOVED it. One of the best films of the year. And, I am planning on getting the special edition, as well as THE STONES OF SUMMER.

So thanks again and anyone else on the fence about getting it, it is a must buy.