Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Who's Played the "Scene It?" DVD Board Game?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 11:55 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has it? Who's played it? Is it any good? too easy? replayability? etc...???

A blast for hardcore film buffs and casual moviegoers alike, Scene It, the DVD board game combines a cool social interactive board game with Hollywood trivia and the visual excitement of the fast growing DVD technology. It turns a flat board game into a 3-D multimedia match of memory, logic and pop culture knowledge.

Scene It is all about movie magic: Unsurpassed stars. Unforgettable moments. Great lines and wonderful laughs. It's the only game that comes with real movie clips, on-screen challenges and popular trivia. It's not just for film buffs. Everyone remembers who won the fight between Rocky and Apollo Creed, but what color were Rocky's trunks? Don't know? Don't worry - you'll see for yourself in the film clip. Scene It is not just a game of movie trivia. Players rely on observation, memory, word play and puzzle solving - all centered around Hollywood movies. And the DVD is so easy to operate, you won't even spill your popcorn.

Features:
Action! Enjoy scenes from your favorite movies as you race your friends around the game board. They players next to you think they are the biggest cinemaniacs this side of Hollywood? Knock 'em back with a Buzz card! From the opening challenge to the last Final Cut question, Scene It? draws everyone together around the TV for action-packed fun.

All Play Challenges: The first player to shout out the correct answer to the on-screen challenge scores! Jam-packed with hundreds of reel puzzlers in eleven unique categories, including Distorted Reality, Spellbinders, Invisibles, Rising Stars and Sound Clips.

My Play Challenges: Movie clips galore in this section. Pay attention! You never know what you will be asked.
Trivia Trio: Success is in the cards with three cool categories: Take Three, Songs and Slogans, and Pop Culture.

Final Cut: In to win - it all comes down to the Final Cut. Can you answer three on-screen challenges in a row?

Requires a DVD player
Game includes a DVD
Players 2-4 individuals or teams

Last edited by dgc; 10-16-03 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've thought about buying this but I know nobody as into movies as I am and it would be boring and lame to have 3 other people who are clueless.

I too am curious if it's any fun.
Old 10-16-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have it. It's a pretty good game and not all of the questions are film buff oriented. Some of the questions rely on attention to detail, word puzzles etc...

There are some pretty good scenes it plays and I played it about 5 times and the dvd never repeated a question to a particular scene. It's pretty random. Highly recommended if you are a film buff and have friends that are into films or interested in film in general.
Old 10-16-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[SPAMMER]

Old 10-16-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Scene It is all about movie magic: Unsurpassed stars. Unforgettable moments. Great lines and wonderful laughs. It's the only game that comes with real movie clips, on-screen challenges and popular trivia. It's not just for film buffs. Everyone remembers who won the fight between Rocky and Apollo Creed, but what color were Rocky's trunks?
This guy might not be a shill, but he talks like a shill.
Old 10-16-03, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I also saw yesterday a Trivial Pursuit movie/dvd game, along the same lines as this one. FYI.
Old 10-16-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it for a cousin last Christmas and we played a couple of rounds. I absolutely loved it, but as a movie fan/film buff - I found it too easy whereas my family thought it was challenging. It's good for a laugh at how much you didn't think you knew, but be warned that if you are into movies - you'll roll through the questions....I still liked it for the shear fact that it's about movies.

Great family game, but those in the know will have to hold back if you want everyone else to have fun.
Old 10-16-03, 07:29 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I have this game too, and everyone who played it has had a lot of fun. Even my wife, who is notorious for not being able to remember things about movies, can do well in this game. There's plenty of more difficult questions to challenge the resident movie buff as well.

We had about 10 people over and played 3 games in a row, and never had a repeat question.
Old 10-16-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Pillowhead
There are some pretty good scenes it plays and I played it about 5 times and the dvd never repeated a question to a particular scene. It's pretty random.
I had the exact opposite experience. it KEPT repeating the same questions over and over again, on 2 different DVD players (an early Apex and an Xbox).

Rebooting the players, following the "randomizing" instructions, nothing worked. The only way that seemed to be random was to start a game, see the repeated questions, then quit the game, start again, repeat till you got a random question. Unfortunately, quitting and restarting took as long as 5 minutes- really a frustrating experience...

however, once it did get randomized, the game really was fun.

-jason
Old 10-16-03, 08:01 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
I'm hoping he just copied it from Amazon or wherever you can find a description of this game, instead of taking the time to try and describe it himself. His registration date is quite un-shill-like, as well.
Old 10-16-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I've thought about buying this but I know nobody as into movies as I am and it would be boring and lame to have 3 other people who are clueless.

same here.
Old 10-16-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what type of questions should I expect?
Old 10-16-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
what type of questions should I expect?
There are questions where they mix up an actors name and you need to unscramble it, ones where they slowly add parts of a picture to a blank screen and you have to identify the actor, ones where they show a still from a movie and you have to identify the movie, oneswhere you have to identify a movie from a quote, and ones where they show a film clip and you have to answer questions like who was the actor/director, or questions about things happening in the scene.

I think that's most of them...

-jason
Old 10-16-03, 10:50 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by fuzzbox
There are questions where they mix up an actors name and you need to unscramble it, ones where they slowly add parts of a picture to a blank screen and you have to identify the actor, ones where they show a still from a movie and you have to identify the movie, oneswhere you have to identify a movie from a quote, and ones where they show a film clip and you have to answer questions like who was the actor/director, or questions about things happening in the scene.

I think that's most of them...

-jason
Also there are the ones where they show a bunch of character names an actor has played (one by one), and you have to identify the actor. Those can be pretty hard...
Old 10-16-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were supposed to release a more up-to-date one. Any news on that?
Old 10-16-03, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fuzzbox
There are questions where they mix up an actors name and you need to unscramble it.
Ooh, that sounds fun, let's try:

OMT SHKNA
Old 10-16-03, 12:06 PM

Tom Hanks!

Cool, what do i win?
Old 10-16-03, 12:23 PM
Banned

No!!!

OTM SHANK

He's India's biggest star don't you know
Old 10-16-03, 12:37 PM
dgc

Originally posted by Static Cling
I'm hoping he just copied it from Amazon or wherever you can find a description of this game, instead of taking the time to try and describe it himself. His registration date is quite un-shill-like, as well.
Yes, I'm a shill for this game. I own the company that sold it to Mattel. I also own Mattel.

It's called copy & paste. I'll use quotes next time for the suspicious folks.
Old 10-16-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine got this as a gift and we broke it out one night, expecting to make fun of it for a few minutes and then stuff it on the top most shelf of the closet, never to be thought of again. Well, about four hours later, we were still playing, as my friend keep saying over and over again, "all right this is the last game. I have to get up for work tomorrow....oh, maybe one more game!"

What's interesting about it is that you'll find certain people do really well with one catagory, while others do well with another catagory. We played once with a girl we knew and she nailed the celebrity high school yearbook photos within a nano-second each time. Unbelievable.
Old 10-17-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by dgc
Yes, I'm a shill for this game. I own the company that sold it to Mattel. I also own Mattel.

It's called copy & paste. I'll use quotes next time for the suspicious folks.
Well, you didn't give any of your own opinions, nor did you say if you had tried it or not, just a general PR paste. That's all.
Old 10-17-03, 10:47 AM
dgc

Well, you didn't give any of your own opinions, nor did you say if you had tried it or not, just a general PR paste. That's all.
Bus,

I thought my 1st paragraph clearly showed I was soliciting feedback on this game:

Who has it? Who's played it? Is it any good? too easy? replayability? etc...???
Old 10-17-03, 10:51 AM

Is there a difference between the above and the Mattel game? They look the same, but they are sold seperately on Amazon and the one I posted here is $10 more than the Mattel version.

Anyone know?

Also there's a pop culture Trivial Pursuit game that features a DVD.
Old 10-17-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Game sounds fun, lots of my friends like movies.
I'll have to put this on my amazon wish list along with Lord of the Rings Twister.
Old 10-17-03, 12:52 PM
dgc

The mattel version is the latest version:

Mattel on board with DVD-based game
7/3/2003 Toymaker gets behind Scene It?, with more products on the way.

The makers of DVD-based board game Scene It? have struck a deal with toy giant Mattel Inc. to mass-produce and market the product (VB, 10-7).

Last fall, Seattle-based entrepreneurial group Screenlife launched Scene It?, a game requiring players to watch scenes of such popular movies as Rocky, Airplane! and Field of Dreams, then answer questions about them. A proprietary software technology on the game's discs called Optreve is used to "shuffle" the order in which the scenes are played, so that no two games are the same.

Retailing at $49.99 and available through retail outlets including Nordstrom, the initial shipment of 30,000 Scene It? games warranted a look from Mattel, according to Screenlife founder and CEO Dave Long. Sales last year exceeded the rookie numbers for such successful brands as Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit and Cranium, he said.

"We really struck a nerve with consumers," Long said. "And we were able to cling onto the DVD trend."

Mattel will launch its branded version of the original Scene It? next year, with Screenlife developing a sequel and another version for kids 8-12, also for next year, according to Long. The deal calls for Screenlife to develop 16 additional products during the next five years.

"After researching the possibilities of what Optreve can do for the game industry, we knew a partnership with Screenlife would have a major impact on our business," Phil Jackson, VP of marketing games and puzzles for Mattel, said in a statement. "Mattel wants to be at the forefront of interactive DVDs, and working with the management team at Screenlife will solidify that position."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.