Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions on building a four player arcade/mame controller?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to build something similar to the controller in the link below. I don't want to buy it from them because $700 is more than I'd like to spend. And I don't need a spinner or a track ball, but I might add one in the future. Any suggestions or maybe a point in the direction to some plans online would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

http://www.slikstik.com/quadfeatures.htm

Last edited by Absolute Zero; 10-15-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start here: Build Your Own Arcade Controls and follow the Step by Step newbie guide.

There are a TON of examples linked from the site and many/most of the people show the steps used in designing their controls and provide links to templates you can download.
Old 10-15-03, 03:44 PM

I built something similar to the Quad but without the spinner.

For all those parts, you will spend $400 to $500 with the spinner. You will need an I-pac from Ultimarc for the interface. I also got the J-stik for the dedicated 4-way from Ultimarc. The joysticks, trackball and pushbuttons were all from Happ Controls. The parts may be cheaper at Bob Roberts. I got the trackball interface from Oscar Controls or you could get an Opti-pac from Ultimarc. I plan on getting the Tempest spinner from Oscar someday.

I don't have any plans, I just used graph paper and figured where I wanted to put everything. Some tips, leave 4-5 inches behind the joysticks and buttons to rest your wrists. Don't put a joystick or spinner directly above the trackball or you'll smack into it.

My controller looks cluttered but I wanted dual joysticks to play Robotron and SmashTV. Then I also wanted a Defender/Stargate layout too.
Old 10-15-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fanboy: Thanks for the link. I had seen that site before when I started researching mame, but forgot what the address was. This will help out alot.

D300: I REALLY like your layout with the dual controllers for Robotron and Smash TV. What kind of joysticks are you using by the way? I've been making a parts list from Happ Controls, but I'm clueless about which joystick to buy. I'd love the 360 optical, but its a bit pricey at $46.
Old 10-15-03, 04:20 PM

I bought the Super joysticks many months ago when Happs had them on sale for $7 each. Here's a good review on the joysticks from Happs.