Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Matrix Reloaded Widescreen hard to find at Wal-Mart?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Wal-Mart in Missouri had a big display at the entrance to the store. I had to dig literally five minutes to find a Widescreen copy. Is everyone else having this problem?

Also Wal-Mart has a ton of dvd's I'd like to buy in the 8-10 dollars range,but they are all full screen. Why do they do this? Think they would order more widescreen if I complained?
Old 10-15-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new Wal-Mart that just opened up close my place is very bad about getting Widescreen so I made a point to drive to the older store I know better. They never let me down.

Normally the 8-10 dollar bin is filled with DVDs that were poorly made, lacked extras and were never made with a Widescreen version. I gave up looking in the cheapo section long ago.
Old 10-15-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I almost picked up the Fullscreen at BB. What a close call.
Old 10-15-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yup...my Walmart had about 95% FS and 5% WS. Ridiculous.
Old 10-15-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which begs the question... why buy from Wal Mart?
Old 10-15-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
New . . . cheap . . . instant gratification . . . But only if you can find it in WS, of course . . .
Old 10-15-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love my DVDs but I can't stand getting up early to be at Best Buy or CC when they open.
Old 10-15-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
The main customer base in Wal-Mart is Joe SP. No offense that's just the way it is and that's why the majority of DVD's are FS.
It's really very simple. But it still sucks.
Old 10-15-03, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's on the way home from work, and it's a dime cheaper than the Best Buy in town. Also you can't pick up groceries at Best Buy. But it's still frustrating that people just don't care to get FS or WS. I wonder just how much of the public has no clue to what they are getting?
Old 10-15-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the guys I waited with (I was there first as always) knew enough to get widescreen.

As I walked away I heard someone ask for the Fullscreen version and man did that bunch give him hell. If I hadn't been racing home to watch my movie I think I would of stuck around to join in the heckling.
Old 10-15-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked my widescreen up from WM today. They only had 4 WS on the shelf vs. 100s of FS next to them, on the display and the end of isles. Oh well, I got MY good version for cheap.
Old 10-15-03, 05:47 AM
Cool New Member

I am happy to say that at the CC on the north side of Indy, WS was clearly depleted in comparison to FS.
Old 10-15-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Johnstown the huge display when you came in the door- I couldn't find any widescreen so I went back into the electronics department where they had a small section near the counter- 3 or 4 rows of fullscreen and 1 row widescreen....bummer!
Old 10-15-03, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
I love my DVDs but I can't stand getting up early to be at Best Buy or CC when they open.
The Best Buy and Circuit City stores in my area don't open until 10am, even on Saturday. What time do they open there?
Old 10-15-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Walmart near almost never gets widescreen and when they do they only have a few.
Old 10-15-03, 08:47 AM

I had to dig for a WS one too.

As I was walking away I heard a husband yell at his wife from about three asiles away, "Make sure you get a Fullscreen one!"
Old 10-15-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I walked away I heard someone ask for the Fullscreen version and man did that bunch give him hell. If I hadn't been racing home to watch my movie I think I would of stuck around to join in the heckling.
"Few men dared enter the once-safe bastion of Wal-Mart, where now the the Widescreen Warriors dwelled... those who entered the cursed land searching for the mind-corrupting fullscreen were quickly smote by the band of panavision-loving knaves..."
Old 10-15-03, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Seeing how the avg. American family know little about HT and OAR, it's no surprise they'll assume FS = more bang for the bug. I mean, what's up w/ taking away the precious top and bottom of the movie and filling it w/ big black blocks on the WS.

Wal-Mart knows best for its customers, FS all the way.
Old 10-15-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'll buy from Wal*Mart because they are always cheaper for the big new releases. But, I also like the little extras that Best Buy will sometimes include. So, in this case, I got Matrix Reloaded at Best Buy.

When I was getting pictures done at Wal*Mart I poked around at the displays of Matrix Reloaded and noticed there were many more fulls than wides.
Old 10-15-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... weren't the Best Buy extras regurgitated extras from the Animatrix and first Matrix DVDs?
Old 10-15-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This makes me think of the CKY scetch where some guy doesn't use 1-800-COLLECT to make a call. The other guy punches him in the head and informs everyone around how stupid the guy is. Funny stuff.
Old 10-15-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't understand. This thread is like all other Wal-Mart threads. WHY do you shop there? For TEN CENTS more, you could have ordered it on BB.com and had it shipped to you for free. I dunno about you folks, but I no longer need a movie the MINUTE it comes out on a Tuesday... especially if Wal-Mart was my best option.
Old 10-15-03, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
I just don't understand. This thread is like all other Wal-Mart threads. WHY do you shop there? For TEN CENTS more, you could have ordered it on BB.com and had it shipped to you for free. I dunno about you folks, but I no longer need a movie the MINUTE it comes out on a Tuesday... especially if Wal-Mart was my best option.
Some people are just more compulsive than others. I can honestly say that in all the years I've purchased items online, I've never once chosen anything more expensive than the cheapest shipping option. If a movie gets released that I really want, I still order it if it's the cheapest option, because the way I look at it, I've already had to wait for the DVD release - what's another week?

However, I've got a brother-in-law who insists on going to the stores to pick up titles, because he's got to have it 'right now'. If an obscure release comes out that he wants, he'll drive all over town, even to Suncoast, looking for the movie, when he could have just ordered it from any number of websites and probably had it on or soon after the release day.
Old 10-15-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rarely go to the store to pick up new releases but this is one of the few exceptions. All of the other releases I want are ordered online. If you saw all my Matrix statues and toys you would have a better grasp on my need to have this DVD right away.
Old 10-15-03, 12:35 PM
Suspended

I like to occasionally walk through Wal-mart and experience the different life forms and unevolved species that exist on this planet.

My favorite is the screaming, shoeless child. You can usually find them in the toy section of the store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.