Old Indy? How about Young Indy! Coming to disc "Soon"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 03:18 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Indy? How about Young Indy! Coming to disc "Soon"

The TV show that got no respect is finaly coming to disc:

From IGN:

On Saturday, October 11, Paramount Pictures held a press party at the American Film Institute (AFI) offices in Hollywood to celebrate the release of The Adventures of Indiana Jones box set.

One of the things we learned at the event is that the Young Indiana Jones series is being worked on for eventual DVD release, but they had no specific info on its release. But at least you know it's on the way.
And it's about damn time. I've always thought the show rocked and with all the TV shows coming out, I held hope that this woud see the light of day.

Thank you cross promotion!
Old 10-14-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not holding my breath. They had a VHS release of 10 volumes of this show that said the others were 'coming soon'. Five years later and I'm still waiting...
Old 10-14-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd get this, I enjoyed this, but I have no idea when or if I ever will see it.
Old 10-14-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Ummmmmmm a little thing happened in the last five years called the explosion of DVD. I'm sure that put a bit of a monkey wrench into the Young Indy VHS plans.

Why would you continue to release something like that on VHS when everyone is moving to DVD? The quick explosion of DVD surprised just about everyone, so I don't think you can really compare the two...
Old 10-14-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheKing
Ummmmmmm a little thing happened in the last five years called the explosion of DVD. I'm sure that put a bit of a monkey wrench into the Young Indy VHS plans.

Why would you continue to release something like that on VHS when everyone is moving to DVD? The quick explosion of DVD surprised just about everyone, so I don't think you can really compare the two...
DVD definitely took off quickly, but not *that* quickly. They had planned to release the remaining volumes in early 1999. At that point, there were only about 1.5 million DVD players out there. The format wasn't even beginning to make a dent in VHS sales. I don't see anything amazing that happened in the marketplace between fall of '98 and spring of '99 that would have caused them to rethink their VHS release plans. Hell, they've just *now* begun to think about a DVD release for it.

1999 is the year that Star Wars: Episode I had a VHS-only debut. Video tape wasn't even coughing up blood yet, let alone on its death bed.
Old 10-14-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for this. I have 5 or 6 of the VHS tapes, and was planning on getting them all at one point, because they did claim to be coming "soon". The web-site was unchanged on this information forever until they re-did it to coincide with the new boxset. Now there is no mention of the rest of the VHS tapes coming out (yet they are still trying to sell the other ones-No thanks now jerks!).

The only thing in relation to new releases I saw on the site was this:
"Be sure to stay tuned to indianajones.com for any future Young Indiana Jones video and DVD release announcements."

That doesn't mean squat
Old 10-14-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Amazing isn't it!!! At the end of the first quarter of 1999 there had only been 1,762,798 DVD players sold in the USA. Now, as of the end of August, 2003 the number has sky-rocketed to 54,014,985 DVD players sold in the USA. And I just read somewhere yesterday that the penetration rate is approximately 50% of households.

Anyway, back to the thread topic, I too would like to see Young Indy released on DVD, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon. We can only hope!
Old 10-14-03, 08:44 PM
Cool New Member

YES!! I was wondering when this was going to be announced. Now I can prepare my old tapes of the ABC broadcasts (and Fam channel...) for the circular file.

Then again, it may be a few more years....
Old 10-14-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, Young Indy on DVD I guess would be nice. My mindset right now is that I would buy it for collection reasons, but I don't recall the series one tiny bit. I remember watching some of it... but I do not remember anything about it in the slightest. But I would like this to come and add to the Indy collection. If we see this at all, I bet it would be not too long before Indy 4 comes out.
Old 10-15-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarthMustapha
YES!! I was wondering when this was going to be announced. Now I can prepare my old tapes of the ABC broadcasts (and Fam channel...) for the circular file.

Then again, it may be a few more years....
You may want to hang onto them anyway... the VHS tapes differed from the original broadcasts (slightly). They combined episodes together into 2-hour 'movies'. And they dropped all of the scenes with 'old Indy'. Personally, I hope that any eventual DVD release includes the old Indy scenes (even as just a supplement)... but just be aware that those may not be included.
Old 10-19-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah - old indy was interesting...

so here we go again with people "improving" the dvds (maybe) by changing things.

People usually want to see what they saw.