Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Prime Suspect on DVD (confusion abounds)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few people mentioned this series in this thread http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=323131 so I started looking around for it. It seems there was a version out before but now that's OOP. There is a new one being released tomorrow but there is some confusion about it. Amazon lists it as 2 DVDs other places list it as 1. Additionally some places list a PS2 (big red two w/ a circle around it on the cover) and others don't. Does anyone know more about this series? Is PS a two DVD set? Is PS2 the 2nd of the two DVDs from the first set or is that the actual second set?

Just to add to the confusion it seems to OOP one (from Anchor Bay) is longer than the new one coming out tomorrow (from HBO). I did find a R2/PAL set that has all 7 but as I don't have a regionless console player yet that's not really an option right now...

TIA

Last edited by nemein; 10-13-03 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prime Suspect is basically a crime series with 5 main storylines...as to which ones have 1 or 2 discs in relation to the DVD releases i don't know...but where you have referred to PS2 etc...that will in essence be the second storyline.
Old 10-13-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the entire series is as follows:

Prime Suspect (1991)
Prime Suspect 2 (1992)
Prime Suspect 3 (1993)
Prime Suspect 4: The Lost Child (1995)
Prime Suspect 4: Inner Circles (1995)
Prime Suspect 4: Scent of Darkness (1995)
Prime Suspect 5: Errors of Judgment (1996).

The Amazon listing that shows Helen Mirren in the upper left hand corner with the supporting cast beneath her is the initial Prime Suspect entry from 1991. The two other listings they have are the OOP Anchor Bay releases for this same title and Prime Suspect 2-1992. I had both of these anchor bay releases and upgraded to the R2 Prime Suspect boxset that includes all of the above titles. (which you already knew )

The video quality of the R2 versions is only slightly better than the R1. Neither one will blow your socks off. there is a fair amount of grain and vibrant is not a word I would use to describe the color schemes employed throughout the series. But that could be in line with the storylines as well. The R1 Prime Suspect series was edited during it's initial broadcast after the first entry. I guess the censors found some of the language too blue for PBS (Channel 12 here in Philly) and just "muted" the "foul" language from Episode three on. The R2 versions are not edited.

None of these to my knowledge are on any more than one disc each.

What's the PS2 disc?

Last edited by buckee1; 10-13-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the OOP's were flippers (203 minutes)... current re-release is listed at 208 minutes. I would assume at this length, 2 discs are needed (unless they fall back to flipper). Also the current re-release is only the first Prime Suspect (1991).
Old 10-13-03, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Amazon the OOP one (from AB) is 230 min[1] and on 1 DVD (possibly a flipper), the new one (from HBO) is 208 min and on 2 DVDs (although 208 should fit on a single DVD shouldn't it?). According to DVDplanet/DVDpricesearch the disk count on the release tomorrow is 1... Oh well I think I'm going to Netflix them for now (which has a disk count of 2) and maybe eventually buy the R2 pack (comes in a nice set w/ all 7). Thanks all

[1] Although looking at it now maybe that's just a typo...

One more question though A lot of the write ups refer to part 6 coming to PBS sometime next year. Do they mean 6 out of the series of 7 (Scent of Darkness it looks like) or are they making a new part 6 (since the old series of 7 actually finishes at 5)? It's been several years since they have made one ('96), it is usual to have that large of a gap in between shows in Britian?

Last edited by nemein; 10-13-03 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I remember seeing a commercial for another episode some years back but never heard anything more. I'd be anxious to check it out should one ever materialize. All of the episodes included in the boxset have already aired on US and UK television.
Old 10-13-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's my understanding that a new Prime Suspect is to be aired here in the UK fairly soon..so this will more than likely be the PBS transmission to which you refer.