Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

What happened to the "Rush Limbaugh may be on drugs" thread?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it got closed. What happened?
Old 10-11-03, 08:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As usual with most good threads, someone started a personal attack and the thread got closed. I must say, I am not in favor of this policy as it seems to me that several personal attacks/comments go 'unpunished' while others have the post closed. I guess the next time you have a thread you do not like at all, you may as well trash it so they close it.

Then again, the forum is a private owned enterprise and the owners are the ones that decide so who cares about what I think....
Old 10-11-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What makes the DVDTalk forums so successful is that they don't tolerate a lot of the juvenile behavior that is so common is so many other forums. The flame wars, the profanity, the lewdness, the incoherent rants and the blatant padding and threadcrapping... all of the things that make so many other forums intolerable make DVDTalk one of the best sites on the Web.

What makes the forums so successful is that the mods and admins usually strike a delicate balance between letting people having fun and feel free to express themselves, while still maintaining a high level of quality overall. The mods and admins are what makes this place so great.

As has been discussed in another thread... sometimes, when one member crosses the line and ruins it for everyone else... it is oftentimes better and more expedient to just shut down the thread rather than allow things to escalate to the level where suspensions are needed. In addition, some threads that have degenrated to the level of name-calling and personal attacks have probably run their course anyway, and are ready to be closed. (The Rush Limbaugh thread was a good case in point.)

As for "who cares about what I think" -- actually, virtually everyone here is willing to listen to what other people have to think, and the mods and admins do a good job in encouraging people to speak freely, even though, yes, this is a privately-owned forum with specific rules of membership. As a good rule of thumb -- people listen to people that listen. You will do a lot more to further your arguments by toning down the rhetoric and the vitrolic comments -- a forceful objection can still be respectful of other people's opinions and beliefs.

(And I speak from personal experience, believe me...)
Old 10-11-03, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NCMojo
What makes the DVDTalk forums so successful is that they don't tolerate a lot of the juvenile behavior that is so common is so many other forums. The flame wars, the profanity, the lewdness, the incoherent rants and the blatant padding and threadcrapping... all of the things that make so many other forums intolerable make DVDTalk one of the best sites on the Web.

What makes the forums so successful is that the mods and admins usually strike a delicate balance between letting people having fun and feel free to express themselves, while still maintaining a high level of quality overall. The mods and admins are what makes this place so great.

As has been discussed in another thread... sometimes, when one member crosses the line and ruins it for everyone else... it is oftentimes better and more expedient to just shut down the thread rather than allow things to escalate to the level where suspensions are needed. In addition, some threads that have degenrated to the level of name-calling and personal attacks have probably run their course anyway, and are ready to be closed. (The Rush Limbaugh thread was a good case in point.)

As for "who cares about what I think" -- actually, virtually everyone here is willing to listen to what other people have to think, and the mods and admins do a good job in encouraging people to speak freely, even though, yes, this is a privately-owned forum with specific rules of membership. As a good rule of thumb -- people listen to people that listen. You will do a lot more to further your arguments by toning down the rhetoric and the vitrolic comments -- a forceful objection can still be respectful of other people's opinions and beliefs.

(And I speak from personal experience, believe me...)
Em, ok. But what did this have to do with the Rush Limbaugh thread? I don't get it
Old 10-11-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by FranksAndBeans
Em, ok. But what did this have to do with the Rush Limbaugh thread? I don't get it
He's doing some butt kissing so he'll have more leniency in the future.

BTW, I totally agree with all of the great effort our mods and admins provide.
Old 10-12-03, 08:07 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
I know it's not worth much, but I thought that Limbaugh thread should have remained open. There was only one post, and a response to said post, that I believe was the cause of the closing. Neither of those posts were of any importance or relevance to the thread. Removing them would not have altered the flow of the thread in any way. I realise it is sometimes more difficult to read through and delete all affiliated posts, I just think that this was not one of those cases. The remainder of the thread was useful and could have, should have, remained open.

And NCMojo, nobody cares what you think!

Old 10-12-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FranksAndBeans
The Rush thread got closed because there were some perceived personal attacks, and also because it had run it's course, IMO.

If you have some new insight, you could probably start a new thread about it.

EDIT TO ADD: let's see... User CP... Edit Ignore List... Pharoh... Bradford T Pusser. Got it.
Old 10-12-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like that on this forum also, can't go on imdb's message boards with out hearing "shut the f up, you don't know what your fing talking about. ect
Old 10-12-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by NCMojo

EDIT TO ADD: let's see... User CP... Edit Ignore List... Pharoh... Bradford T Pusser. Got it.

can't take a little joke?
Old 10-13-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Closing Thread.....

j/k