Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Queer Eye 10/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Queer Eye 10/10

Let me say this is the first episode I've ever seen and haven't read any other of the thread about this show here but if this has been said before I'm saying it again. They way the "fab 5" act is just too over the top. I've known several gay people and not one of them act that way. The show itself to me was a very watered down version of trading spaces. They change guy's entire house and I have no idea how much they spent, how long it took, or anything else. Not to mention I thought "fabio" guy was gay himself although he's protrayed as straight.

Anyone else catch last nights episode?
Old 10-11-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not meant to represent the entire gay population. It's a very entertaining show. Much, much better than Trading Spaces. Pacing is faster than that show and the show is comedic without being forced like many sitcoms these days.
Old 10-11-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea I did like the way they ran around everywhere. Do they do that every episode?
Old 10-11-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. It's standard at the beginning and they slow down when the Fab 5 sit and watch the results of their makeover.
Old 10-12-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Queer Eye 10/10

Originally posted by kantonburg
They way the "fab 5" act is just too over the top. The show itself to me was a very watered down version of trading spaces.
And when I help my interior designer empty a room, we always spend a few minutes dancing with the furnishings. Once we're done and the room is empty, we go back to twirl around in it a few times.
Old 10-13-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you be more specific about which episode you watched? Bravo ran a Marathon on the 10th, and I think 6 or 7 episodes were shown...

I think by "fabio" you mean George Konstanisomethingorother, the Personal trainer, who had been shot protecting his mother, right?

for what it's worth, I'm bored by Trading Spaces, but love QE. I think Carson is really the only one who would be considered "over the top", but I don't have a problem with it at all. I think you just don't know the RIGHT gay guys.

-jason
Old 10-13-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fuzzbox
for what it's worth, I'm bored by Trading Spaces, but love QE. I think Carson is really the only one who would be considered "over the top", but I don't have a problem with it at all. I think you just don't know the RIGHT gay guys.

-jason
I agree. Trading Spaces has been getting dull (or maybe I'm just bored with the format). QE is really funny. TV is almost always over the top, but it's fun that way.
I don't really care how much money they spend- I'd rather what the Fab 5 make fun of everything and then sit down at the end and hope for the best.
Old 10-13-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hotaru_san
I don't really care how much money they spend- I'd rather what the Fab 5 make fun of everything and then sit down at the end and hope for the best.
Of course, I just realized something- I have no problem with the amount of money they spend making over their straight guy (I think I've heard somewhere they have a $100,000 budget, which they probably don't need anymore because I'm sure the furniture stores are crawling hand over fist to donate stuff to the show in order to get their names mentioned on the air) but I'm the same person who stopped watching Monster Garage when the concept of "$5,000 budget" went out the window because sponsors were throwing tens of thousands of dollars in merchandise at Jesse and his crew. *shrug*

-jason
Old 10-13-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by hotaru_san
I agree. Trading Spaces has been getting dull (or maybe I'm just bored with the format). QE is really funny. TV is almost always over the top, but it's fun that way.
ITA, Trading Spaces is MUCH drier, IMO... more about the decorating. QE is hilarious, almost a comedy with the makeover secondary, when it's on I tape it so I can replay the best bits a couple of times, they're so funny!

Carson: You know why they call them "mock-necks"?
Other guy: No, why?
Carson: Because when you wear them, everyone makes fun of you behind your back...

Yeah, I know, not funny to read here, but his delivery was PERFECT, it was just great!

Last edited by shoppingbear; 10-13-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by fuzzbox
but I'm the same person who stopped watching Monster Garage when the concept of "$5,000 budget" went out the window because sponsors were throwing tens of thousands of dollars in merchandise at Jesse and his crew. *shrug*
Just an FYI, it used to be a $3000 budget and freebies. Since they moved to the new garage, it's now $5000 and only 1 freebie.

Back on topic, I could care less how much something costs. The $1000 is a joke on TS anyway, since a lot of what they do is decidedly LESS than what $1000 should get you. So the "unlimited" amount of money on QE is fine with me.

Also, one of the gay men at my old office was EXACTLY like Carson, except he dressed more conservatively. But man was he hilarious, and could insult people better than anyone I've ever known.
Old 10-14-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Draven
Just an FYI, it used to be a $3000 budget and freebies. Since they moved to the new garage, it's now $5000 and only 1 freebie.
wow- I didn't realize that. The last one I watched was (I think) the mobile skatepark where they calculated over $75,000 in freebies. In fact, I don't even think I knew anything about a new garage or even a new season starting...

I guess I wasn't the only one with that critique. I guess I have to add MG back to my ReplayTV...

-jason
Old 10-14-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Draven
Back on topic, I could care less how much something costs. The $1000 is a joke on TS anyway, since a lot of what they do is decidedly LESS than what $1000 should get you. So the "unlimited" amount of money on QE is fine with me.
Yeah, I feel badly when the designers force the other home owners to make crappy crafts for their friends. Half those rooms look like they would fall apart and even the $50,000 a piece rooms didn't look that great.
If not having a budget at all is what keeps them from not filling the space up with junk then so be it.
It's a day of change and pampering (to some extent) for the guys. They'll probably never be able to afford to do all that again, but at least they got it once.

And I think that the mock-necks comment is still funny, even when it's read.
Old 10-14-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the fact that they don't have a budget. I think it adds to the "queen for a day" (haw) element of the show and makes it more of an exciting thing for these guys to be chosen for the show and made-over.

They don't have a "budget" on "Extreme Make-over", do they? Nope, if those people have messed-up teeth, they fix them, no matter what it costs.

Last edited by Jadzia; 10-14-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to catch the show again this friday. At least TiVo it. The blond guy was at our local pub 2 weeks ago for a horse show. A girl recognized him and good lord you would have thought George Cloney was in the bar People ran up the street to buy disposable cameras. Interesting fellow. BTW he had a woman with him
Old 10-14-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about TS. I knew they would waste all that money. Neither designer really maximized that money. Dumb Laura spends megabucks on some trashy-looking Italian curtains. The TS designers just don't have a clue.