Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba SD-120EE: Disc playback unauthorized! HELP!!!!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-11-03, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a huge problem! I have just bought a lot of US Region 1 DVD sets and cannot play some of them.
When I insert the disc and close the tray, the display says "Error" while the tv screen says "Disc playback unauthorized, please see owners manual". Now, I cannot find the manual, but this is strange, this is a code-free dvd player so what's up?
After some time, I thought this was the infamous RCE, but after reading the tips on how to work around it, beside there being no tip for this model, I don't see a world map appearing on screen, just the warning described here.
This happens when I try to play the DVDs from the sets
"All In The Family" tv series one, "Good Times" tv series one. It's strange that I CAN play the series one of the tv series "The Jeffersons" and yet all three are manufactured by the same company (Columbia/Tri-Star).
Can some please help me?

PS: thanks for the help, I'm new and hope to like it here
Old 10-11-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you changing the region of the player to the DVD's region?

That has worked with Cyberhomes when Region ALL has not worked.

According to VCDHELP.com, there are no known hacks for this player. Was it modded?

Last edited by speedy1961; 10-11-03 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-12-03, 03:12 AM

HI, no I haven't done anything on this player, it's still the way I bought it.
Meanwhile, I have ordered the region x dvd so I can play them on my PS2, and maybe it will work on the toshiba as well.
Still, do you know what's the problem with this" Disc playback unauthorized?).
I had bought this player because it was the only remaining code-free player I could find here in Europe.
Old 10-12-03, 05:38 AM

I had bought this player because it was the only remaining code-free player I could find here in Europe.

Where in 'Europe' are you and where did you buy the player?

Assuming (since you don't want us to know which makes it a bit difficult to help) you live in the UK Amazon.co.uk do a multiregion player here

There are plenty other places that do them too and cheaper, although I'd not buy too cheaply.
Old 10-12-03, 12:03 PM

I live in Switzerland. I came into the dvd thing a little late, and this was like the only kind left. I was trying to go for a better brand, and have it modified to play all regions, but then they told me there would be no guarantee left because non-manufacturer people would open it, besides, there were very few stores who did that, most of them said "it's illegal" (I tried not to laugh in their face).
Buying the dvd region x for the PS2 is my last attempt to work around this crappy player (I had to bring it in after onle 10 times I had played it because the tray wouldn't open...), after which I would get a better one, I will browse from the link you provided (thank you btw). Still, I'd love to know what the message my player displays means.
Old 10-12-03, 12:14 PM

I browsed amazon.co.uk, and although the reviews are superb, I want to try another brand, and looked at the alternatives to the Toshiba, I hope I can put the model on the board (can I?), is the Pioneer DV-360S as good? From the reviews it seems so.