Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Direct TV/Tivo/3LNB setup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct TV/Tivo/3LNB setup question

Hi All-
I just bought and installed a 3 LNB oval satellite dish in anticipation for locals "coming soon to my area." Living in Upstate, NY- I didn't want to do the upgrade in the middle of winter....

Here's my setup: 3 LNB oval satellite dish; 2 cables coming out (I'm not using the internal multi-switch); multiswitch in the basement, split 3 ways: 2 to the Tivo, 1 to another reciever (that is not capable of recieving from multiple sats).

When running the signal strength tests and setup on the tivo, all 3 satellites and all 32 transponders are showing excellent strengths. But when I go to the next screen, which confirms everything, I'm told there is a problem, and that on both inputs, satellites B and C are not detected! The screen before showed signal strengths in the high 90's!

I talked to a D-TV CSR about it, and they told me that I need to have a technician come out to "confirm my connections and that the satellite is pointed in the right direction." With signal strengths of 90+, I assume I have it pointed correctly; this isn't the first time I've installed a dish..... but it is the first multi-sat dish.

So my question is: does anyone else have a similar setup (who is not receiving locals) that could confirm I'm not losing my mind? Are the other satellites being blocked because I don't receive anything from them yet?

If this is in the wrong forum, I appologize, moderators....

Thanks for any info-
Kramdenfan
Old 10-10-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not hop over to

TivoCommunity

What kind of multiswitch do you have? It needs to be a pass the 22khz tone or you will only get signal from satellite a at 101. It will show signal across all three slots but will be satellite a.

I have integrated 3 lnb oval dish with a cascading multiswitch. So I'm not much help when bypassing the internal multiswitch.
Old 10-11-03, 08:02 AM

thanks- I'll post over there, too...

My switch is labeled 40-2150 MHz- think that might be the problem?
Old 10-14-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by kramdenfan
thanks- I'll post over there, too...

My switch is labeled 40-2150 MHz- think that might be the problem?
Most likely. The multiswitch specs are pretty specific when using with the oval 3-LNB sat. Basically you need a powered, cascading multiswitch. Here's the multiswitch FAQ from TivoCommunity:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=55509

Looks like you need somthing like this:

http://www.hometech.com/video/dssmulti.html#CV-HD58
and
http://www.hometech.com/video/dssacc.html#CV-22T

Last edited by bralph; 10-14-03 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-14-03, 09:28 AM

Yup- it was the multiswitch giving me problems. I ran another cable, and that solved the problem!

Thanks again!
Rob