Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Foundation movie

Old 10-09-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Foundation movie

from aintitcool.com

A writer is brought aboard to pen the FOUNDATION films for Fox!!!

Hey folks, Harry here with truly monumental geek news... The beginning of the process for THE FOUNDATION films... these could be brilliant... I'm so scared of this project though. Jeff Vintar's I, ROBOT has me scared to death, and just hoping that Proyas can find the film and make something brilliant happen. I, ROBOT was never an easy project to adapt, but it is child's play next to this series, which is one of the holy grails of serious science fiction! Here's the news...

----------

Twentieth Century Fox has just hired a writer to script two movies at the same time, ala "Lord of the Rings," these being the scripts to FOUNDATION and SECOND FOUNDATION. They tell the story of Hari Seldon and his science of psycho-history, which predicts the next thousand years of the human race. The future is put in jeopardy by the appearance of the Mule, a mutant who takes over the galaxy, and who can't have been part of Seldon's Plan. Fox obviously sees this as a sci-fi Lord of the Rings. The writer is Jeff Vintar, who penned next summer's Will Smith starrer "I, ROBOT" based on his original screenplay "Hardwired," with characters and concepts from Asimov, a sort of "early days at U.S. Robotics" prequel that Alex Proyas [DARK CITY] is directing.

The plan for the FOUNDATION movies is for a very faithful adaptation of the sci-fi classic, turning the trilogy of loosely-connected stories into at least two films. The director is Shekhar Kapur [BANDIT QUEEN, ELIZABETH], and the producer is Vince Gerardis [the upcoming FORGE OF GOD from Warner Bros.]. Vintar will begin work on the scripts when he completes his adaptation of the Vertigo comic book Y: THE LAST MAN for New Line Cinema, which David S. Goyer [BLADE] is producing....

You heard it first from....

...THE CRIMSON BRAIN.
Old 10-09-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I'll look forward to it.

I'm assuming that the two names, Foundation and Second Foundation cover more than just those two books. For example, I assume that the contents of Foundation and Empire, the middle book of the trilogy, will be covered.
Old 10-09-03, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one hold your breath. They've been trying to get this going for 10 years, at least.
I mean, a science fiction film that doesn't have cute robots or gun fights?
What are you people? On dope?
Old 10-09-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
I remember when the team behind SPECIES were planning to adapt Foundation... seven years ago.

This first novel is UNFILMABLE; Asimov was short on characterization and action, but brimming with great plotting, ideas, and concepts. Plus the book is fairly episodic as well.

What they'll end up doing (IMO) is inventing new characters, storylines, and "action scenes" that tie into the overall plot of Foundation. It might work; it most likely won't. But I'll keep an open mind.
Old 10-10-03, 04:18 PM

Although I would love to see a loyal adaptation to the first novel, If I were in the producer's chair I would start with the prequel novels. I think they would have more appeal to movie audiences not familiar with the novels.

Actually what I personally would rather see is all the novels done in a mini-series format, that would do the Foundation stories more justice.
Old 10-10-03, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Alternative3
Although I would love to see a loyal adaptation to the first novel, If I were in the producer's chair I would start with the prequel novels. I think they would have more appeal to movie audiences not familiar with the novels.

Actually what I personally would rather see is all the novels done in a mini-series format, that would do the Foundation stories more justice.
I agree. Do the Foundation books as a mini-series instead of a film. While I am a big fan of Lynch's Dune movie I think the mini-series', which I am also a fan of, did a better job of translating the novels and kept the spirit of the books. I think It did the series more justice. I think the Foundation books would also benefit more from the mini-series format than a movie trilogy format.
Old 10-10-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
I agree. Do the Foundation books as a mini-series instead of a film. While I am a big fan of Lynch's Dune movie I think the mini-series', which I am also a fan of, did a better job of translating the novels and kept the spirit of the books. I think It did the series more justice. I think the Foundation books would also benefit more from the mini-series format than a movie trilogy format.
I agree completely. A miniseries would better serve the scope and story of the novels.

What happened to the first 1,115 DVDGuys?
Old 10-10-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
The Foundation trilogy was the most boring story I could not put down. I just don't see it surviving a film adaptation.
Old 10-10-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

well Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation could be adapted to film relatively easily. The first one, that sets the stage for all of them, is VERY episodic, and jumps from era to era quickly. I'm not sure how they'd adapt that.,

birrman54
Old 10-11-03, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
What happened to the first 1,115 DVDGuys?
Ha Ha! I have no idea. I wanted just DVDGUY originally but it was taken so I just added the month and day of my birthday to the end of it.

Getting back to Foundation...I think they should really approach the story chronologically instead of when the books were written.
The book were written in the following order:

Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth(I remember reading about this but never read it. I can't even find it...I wonder if it even exists?)
Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation

The chronology of the stories is as follows:

Prelude to Foundation
Forward the Foundation
Foundation
Foundationand Empire
Second Foundation
Foundation's Edge
Foundation and Earth(once again, I never read it but it supposedly follows Edge.)

That is the order that I think they should approach the Foundation story. I remember reading Prelude and thinking that they could make a decent movie out of it.