Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats wrong with this pictures (theaters not getting movies here...)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I live in a college town/state capitol (of Florida.. yeehaw) and while the city has it's problems, it's usually pretty decent about movies. Two main theaters (AMC20 and a local run), a dollar one, and an art house.

So.. why the **** is only one main theater getting Kill Bill, and not a single one is showing Intolerable Cruelty this weekend.

I mean seriously.. They both have "Good Boy!" and "House of the Dead", hell even one picked up the critically slammed and underadvertised Luther (and no it isn't the arthouse).

I'm just a wee bit pissed, the main theater that's getting Kill Bill is relatively shitty on top of that... Man first I lose out on Noles/Canes tickets and now theaters are pissing on what is my most anticipated movie of the year.

Sorry bout that - end rant.

Come to think of it, maybe it's the Noles/Canes game that is causing them to not pick up the movies, though I doubt it. And at least one is showing Kill Bill, though with far less show times than either of the other new releases. Perhaps somebody got scared by the titles "Kill" and "Cruelty" aren't too terribly happy

Last edited by RichC2; 10-09-03 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 02:55 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Move up North. The South/Bible Belt is crazy like that.
Old 10-09-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
Move up North. The South/Bible Belt is crazy like that.
Hmmmmm. I live in Nashville, TN. "Kill Bill" is starting Friday in at least three theaters.....so is "Intolerable Cruelty". We have an art house as well. That is were I saw "Irreversible" and "Intimacy".

We also have one of the largest independent film festivals in the country, a Gay/Lesbian film festival, a Latino film festival, and an African American film festival.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 10-09-03 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pissed also since I have to go to hunt valley to see kill bill since the lowes theater out here sucks donkey balls.
Old 10-20-03, 01:46 PM
Banned

Rather than blindly and ignorantly slandering people, I'll give you an answer with some thought to it, since as humans it's the least we can do.

The box office cut that studios get is absurdly high, and that's why the concessions at theaters cost so much -- that's how theaters make their money. But the % cut does go down week by week, so if the theater has movies they don't think will have a big opening week there, they might hold them off for a week or two (or more) until the % cut is smaller. Now this won't work in cities with multiple theaters all competing with one another where the same movie is at a dozen multiplexes, but in smaller towns with less theaters this is common.

In the city I used to live in, we had one owner for every theater, so lots of movies never played on opening week, everything from Kuffs and Posse to New Jack City and The Usual Suspects. I'm not even sure if The Usual Suspects played there. Hell, New Jack City didn't come to screens until AFTER it had been released onto VHS.
Old 10-20-03, 05:44 PM

RichC2, I live in Tallahassee as well. It has always been that way since I can remeber. If EFC gets a movie and knows that people will go see it and AMC doesnt get it then they will stick it in the crappy theater to make peopel go there so that theater can make some money.