Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heaven And Earth dvd? (NOT Oliver Stones)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-07-03, 10:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Can anyone please help me with who made Heaven and Earth? It was a samurai movie released about 10 years ago or so. I recently found a copy of the movie I taped off of TNT (of all places) and was wondering if anyone knew of this and if it's on dvd ANYWHERE. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-03, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original title called 'THE WARRIORS OF HEAVEN AND EARTH'. It's sorta like the martial art movie 'THE HERO'. You can check or buy the dvd through www.monkeypeaches.com.
Old 10-08-03, 12:26 PM

Heaven & Earth (1990)

Warriors of Heaven and Earth was made this year, directed by He Ping, only premiered last month.

This is probably what trespoochies is looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

RottenTomatoes lists Haruki Kadokawa as the director
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Heav...82/preview.php

Last edited by dleedlee; 10-08-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 08:49 PM

dleedlee cites the correct film indicated by trespoochies. there is no DVD version available in any market at this time. be VERY careful if/when one appears first outside Japan though. the American broadcast and VHS versions (they're the same) are NOT the original length of the film. I have the Japanese laserdisc and there's at least another 30 mins - granted it seems to be a lot of exposition rather than "meat."
Old 10-08-03, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Thank you dleedlee! That is the one I was looking for! Sucks they don't have it on dvd. That movie did look like a painting come to life like the write-up on Amazon. I remember seeing that poster of it at a theater. The poster was incredible - those 2 samurai warriors on horseback with swords drawn at each other with the sun behind them. It never come out in my area and it wasn't until a few years that I happen to see it on the TNT station at about 2 in the morning. But never again. I've never even seen it on video anywhere. This NEEDS a dvd release.
Old 10-09-03, 01:29 PM

well, it needs a WIDESCREEN ANAMORPHIC release. The P&S versions released here just simply do not do the film justice (cinematographically).
Old 10-09-03, 01:31 PM

BTW, interesting bit - almost all of the panoramic / battle scenes were shot in Canada. all those legions of soldiers (well, basically everyone else who isn't obviously/visually Japanese, like 90% of the on-screen bodies)? Canadian extras under (plastic) costume pieces. pretty funny watching the 'making of' stuff on the laserdisc - too bad it's all in Japanese.
Old 10-09-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Haven't seen this in about a decade. Have to break out the US laser disc version next time I get back to the States. Would be nice to see a DVD release someplace, especially since I wasn't aware the Japanese version was longer.