Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Another victim in the war against "ravers"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

):
http://www.cooljunkie.com/clubs/space/closing.html

---------
NO MORE SPACE AVAILABLE
“SPACE34 SHUTS ITS DOORS”

Lately, only negative press regarding Space34 has been gracing the pages of our home town newspapers.

Space34 pioneered the revitalization of Downtown Miami, tripled the area’s real estate value, brought over 5 million dollars in tax revenue and chased away the homeless and crack dealers from what was once a completely dilapidated area.

We won an award for “Best Night Club” and presented more world class DJs than any club in the US and not a word was printed. We sell more liquor than any other club in South Florida but all they can write about is water and ecstasy.

Over 3000 music loving, liquor drinking customers walk through the doors of Space34 every weekend but the media chooses only to focus on a hand full of partiers that choose drugs as their recreational vehicle.

Could this really be the only place in town where drugs are used? Who will be the target of their next “investigation”? What local business will they help shut down next?

I guess it is true, “nothing sells like negative press.” We refuse to be the topic of any more negative publicity and continue doing business in such a hostile environment.

We would rather shut down our doors than do business where we are not welcomed. The media will have to find a new scapegoat.

We are tired of being singled out and made an example of simply because we are the largest and most popular club in the Nation. We will no longer be the scapegoat for the drug problems plaguing our City, State and society at large.

No longer will Space34 be the target of misdirected and unwanted blame for the drug problems of our community. In schools, at work, on the streets and even in government offices, illegal drug use is rampant and abundant. It affects every part of our society.

The notion that Space34 and this nation’s night clubs are the source of drug abuse in our society is a blanket statement that is nothing short of ludicrous.

Listening to music and dancing is not a crime. Our government is using the unconstitutional Amber Bill / Rave Act / Crack House Law to try and shut down night clubs, concerts and public gatherings.

These establishments should not be blamed for the inefficiency of our nation to control the importation, distribution, sales and use of illegal drugs. Shutting down night clubs will not stop people from doing drugs.

Space34 will be closing its doors as of Saturday October 11 2003. Join us this week for our pre closing and the MURK CD Release Party.

There will be an official “Closing Party” next week starring Subliminal Records Erick Morillo. This will be the first time ever that Erick performs at Space34 and we are very excited and pleased to have him. He will be doing both Main Room and Terrace sets.

Joining Erick will be residents Oscar G, Roland, Markus Schulz, Tony Tone, Radamas.

The owner, management and staff of Space34 would like to thank everyone who supported and believed in us. A club is not a club without clubbers and a dance floor is just an empty floor without dancers. We would have never made it without you. Keep on dancing.
-------------

Yet another afterhours club left in the dust because they don't meet the status quo and dare to be different. Labelling all electronica fans as e-fiends is like calling all rap and hip-hop listeners gangbangers.
Old 10-06-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'm sure the negative press is tiring, but closing their doors just lets the people against the club "win."

And that sucks.
Old 10-07-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice rant that simply states the obvious to people in the know. To bad so sad. It would have been better if they would have stayed open and stuck it to the "man". I have more respect for a business that sticks to it's guns than one that whines, puts it's tail between its legs and runs away. Oh well.
Old 10-07-03, 03:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like they are struggling with business, and needed somebody to blame their failure on.
Old 10-07-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Sounds like they are struggling with business, and needed somebody to blame their failure on.

You know I was thinking the same thing. They claim they are making a lot of money and giving back to the community...etc. Sorry but if I have a buisness making a ton of money I am not just going to "give up".
Old 10-07-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by palebluedot
You know I was thinking the same thing. They claim they are making a lot of money and giving back to the community...etc. Sorry but if I have a buisness making a ton of money I am not just going to "give up".
Sure you would; if you were getting hit by thousands of dollars in fines by no-good public officials who have nothing better to do. That club did a WHOLE lotta business; they brought in big-name acts, but because of this prudish culture and retarded attitude towards drug use, they are going to shut it down. RIP Space34.
Old 10-08-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"That club did a WHOLE lotta business; they brought in big-name acts, but because of this prudish culture and retarded attitude towards drug use, they are going to shut it down."

And because they shut down they taught those prudish officials one thing:
Shut down those damn raver clubs and we'll get rid of our drug problem.
Old 10-09-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In this case, however, Space largely has the reputation of being a glorified crack-house.