Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spirited Away Version?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Spirited Away Version?

Old 10-05-03, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spirited Away Version?

Which region?

Just finished the film up last night and thoroughly enjoyed it for many of its complexities and originality. It truly is a wonderful adventure story with unique characters.

Took a shot over to Digitalbits and read Kleist's review of the film. It's obvious by reading his reviews, that he has great care for true representation of culture and had a few interesting perspectives to offer about the handling of this DVD by Disney (ironic considering Spirited Away competes against them directly). Most of what he has to say seems to me that whatever extras may have been available, which could have had offered more impact and cultural understanding, were completely missed by Disney. Perhaps if Disney were completely taken out of the picture, we would have all been better off. I second that for more personal reasons. Needless to say, he mentions a reg 3 version floating around out there and I'm thinking that I may need to snap that baby up. Now, I usually don't care about extra features as I typically buy for the film only, but I'm curious about others opinions on the Reg 3's extras compared to Reg 1, especially with regard to a better understanding of the cultural nuances that take place during the story.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-03, 01:45 PM

Don't know which region 3 version you are talking about, but I would recommend the R3 Gift Box set from Korea. Nice presentation of the film with massive extras including a large, hard-cover book containing the art of Spririted Away, a themed playing card deck, film frames.
Old 10-05-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
The R1 edition has the best video transfer. I've read Kleist's review at Digital Bits and he goes way overboard with his insistence that Americans are too stupid to understand the movie without the cultural references being explained to them.

Keep in mind that any R2 or R3 edition of the film may have more supplements, but the supplements are likely to not be in English.
Old 10-05-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the R3 version for trade and am not looking for a lot to trade it. Would do it straight up for any of these R1 titles:

Boiler Room
Romeo Must die
Black mask
Magnificent Warriors
Magnificent Butcher
Way of the Gun
The Big Hit
Old 10-06-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Asian DVDs of the film (Japan R2, HK R3 and Korean R3) also have the dreaded "red tint" problem that was corrected on the R1 release. I have the Japanese R2 set, and although the tint is somewhat distracting, it has a nice 6.1 DTS-ES soundtrack. It really doesn't have too much extras over the US DVD, unless you like having a whole second disc showing the film with storyboards (didn't do much for me).
Old 10-06-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the 6.1 dts R2-Japanese one and the red-tint wasn't noticeable until I read about the fury over it a few months later.
Old 10-06-03, 11:43 PM

The only version to consider is the R3 Korean edition. It has awesome extras, DTS 6.1 sound, no red tint, but the overall video quality is subpar compared to the R1. Unless you really are interested in the extras (which will only be in Korean), or would rather have a DTS soundtrack, stick with the R1.
Old 10-07-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Originally posted by axolotls return
I have the 6.1 dts R2-Japanese one and the red-tint wasn't noticeable until I read about the fury over it a few months later.
Thats the sad thing, I probably wouldn't have noticed it either if I hadn't read about it here. This place can be both a blessing and a curse at times.

That said, the picture is otherwise gorgeous and the DTS audio is excellent. I'm happy enough with it.
Old 10-07-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Thats the sad thing, I probably wouldn't have noticed it either if I hadn't read about it here. This place can be both a blessing and a curse at times.
I hear you, I just found out my R2 copy of Europa is not the correct OAR.
Old 10-07-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by indycohiba
I hear you, I just found out my R2 copy of Europa is not the correct OAR.
Yeah... I was pissed when I found that out about Europa. I so ****ing hate Tartan.
Old 10-08-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: Spirited Away Version?

Originally posted by Rice Sniffer
Took a shot over to Digitalbits and read Kleist's review of the film. It's obvious by reading his reviews, that he has great care for true representation of culture and had a few interesting perspectives to offer about the handling of this DVD by Disney (ironic considering Spirited Away competes against them directly).
Not sure how a film that has made Disney millions "competes against them directly." You do know that Disney co-produced the film, right?
Most of what he has to say seems to me that whatever extras may have been available, which could have had offered more impact and cultural understanding, were completely missed by Disney.

The hypothetical extras that Kleist talks about do not exist; they would've had to have been made by Disney.
Perhaps if Disney were completely taken out of the picture, we would have all been better off. I second that for more personal reasons. Needless to say, he mentions a reg 3 version floating around out there and I'm thinking that I may need to snap that baby up.

It seems strange that people attack Disney releases just because they are by Disney. By most accounts Spirited Away received very nice treatment on DVD in the US. Also note that if your reason for buying the R3 is primarily to "stick it to Disney," that Disney produced the asian DVDs as well.

Now, I usually don't care about extra features as I typically buy for the film only, but I'm curious about others opinions on the Reg 3's extras compared to Reg 1, especially with regard to a better understanding of the cultural nuances that take place during the story.
The R3 contains no substansive extra that the R1 does not have. Also note, that unless you speak Japanese or Mandarin, the R1 is the only release to have the 40 minute Nippon making of subtitled in English. As far as extras go, the R1 is the best choice.
Old 10-08-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the R3, I bought it when it first came out for like 25$. This was like a year before it was released in the us. Well worth the money. I didn't notice the Red tint until after I red people bitching about. Truth be told, I kind of like the red tint. But anyway if you dick with your tv you can get rid of most of it. The only real reason to get the R3 would be for the DTS 6.1 track.
Old 10-09-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
For anyone wanting to see the red tint for themselves, check out the "storyboard to film" comparison on the 2nd disc of the R1 DVD. The "film" angle of this feature was made with the original Japanese transfer, red tint and all.