Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2,4 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2,4 SE?

Just finished watching the awesome documentary "The Shocking Truth" on the R2 Texas Chainsaw Massacre disc, and it feature behind the scenes footage of TCM2. I was wondering if there's a chance that TCM2 would get a Special Edition rerelease from MGM, possibly in an attempt to cash in on the upcoming remake of the original. Tobe Hooper said in the documentary that all the Cut footage might be impossible to find, what with Cannon (the original producers of the film) out of business and what not, but I know that the laser disc had a hooper commentary, and who knows, that cut footage might exist somewhere. Also, I know Columbia/Tristar just rereleased a bare bones version TCM 4, but dollar signs in the eyes of executives after the TCM opening weekend might just inspire one. What do ya'll think?
Old 10-05-03, 05:25 AM
Banned

The TEXAS CHAINSAW 2 LD did not have commentary.
Old 10-05-03, 07:15 AM

Anchor Bay issued a 2 videocassette edtion of TCM2 that contained a 2nd tape of trailers and deleted scenes.
Old 10-05-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I noticed that the current DVD of TCM2 is rated R. I could swear the VHS I had, way back when, was Unrated.
Old 10-05-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I was under the impression that the MGM DVD of TCM2 was unrated. It contained at least a minute or two of extra violence that wasn't on my VHS copy. Example:
Spoiler:
The head wounds on the kid in the car, the hammers to the head on JT in the radio station, Leatherface cutting off JT's face in the underground caverns.
Old 10-05-03, 11:38 AM

The MGM disc of TCM2 is the original uncut UNRATED theatrical version of the film - the case incorrectly indicates the R rating, but it's not R. Just another ratings error on an MGM disc - at least this one never got 'recalled'.

I believe the Elite laserdisc had some deleted 'roughcut' scenes including the football player massacre and the Joe Bob cameo, but these scenes were never in the film itself.
Old 10-05-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes teh Elite release had those two scenes in terrible workprint rough raw shape with no soundFX/music & barely audible dialogue.

That footage riot massacre would be great restored in the film if they could find it in finished print form.
Old 10-05-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That footage riot massacre would be great restored in the film if they could find it in finished print form.
That won't be happening. The reason it was cut from the film in the first place is because it was filmed by Second Unit, and they did a horrible job with it. Tobe cut it out because the quality of the footage just wasn't any good.
Old 10-06-03, 01:31 AM

Straight from DVDTalk's own Cineschlock review:

"Extras: Here is where fans are truly let down. Unlike Elite Entertainment's laserdisc, MGM's disc DOES NOT include an audio commentary from director Tobe Hooper, deleted scenes, blooper reel, or still photos. What DO you get? A tattered theatrical trailer. "

I don't know about you, but that seems to hint at a missing commentary.

Originally posted by Jeff McKay
The MGM disc of TCM2 is the original uncut UNRATED theatrical version of the film - the case incorrectly indicates the R rating, but it's not R. Just another ratings error on an MGM disc - at least this one never got 'recalled'.
Awesome, that's great to know. I'm quite surprised they were able to restore it. The documentary made it sound it was lost forever. Thanx.

Last edited by bobertkay99; 10-06-03 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-06-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Thanks Crocker and Jeff for clearing that up. That was what held me up from getting it, wondering if an unrated version would be released.
Old 10-06-03, 01:34 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by bobertkay99
"Extras: Here is where fans are truly let down. Unlike Elite Entertainment's laserdisc, MGM's disc DOES NOT include an audio commentary from director Tobe Hooper, deleted scenes, blooper reel, or still photos. What DO you get? A tattered theatrical trailer. "
Yikes. That's not accurate. Apparently I was on crank three years ago. (I've moved on to crack since.) After a bit of Googling, it seems the Elite disc of Saw 2 (EE-8622) only featured those rough outtakes.
Old 09-17-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Is part 2 & 4 anamorphic on the current dvd releases?
Old 09-17-04, 09:16 AM
Suspended

I have the Part 2 Elite Laserdisc.

it has trailers, and Deleted Scenes ( very Rough)

there is no commentary
Old 09-17-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep holding off on getting TCM2 because I thought maybe they would redo it when the remake hit earlier this year but I guess not. Still waiting for TCM2 to hit $5 bin or get an SE... I want to see it happen.