Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Treasure Planet--pretty good

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this: much better than the reviews led me to believe.
[possible spoilers, if a Disney cartoon could have spoilers]

sure, it has one too many kooky characters (Morph or B.E.N., take your pick--does a movie need both a cute alien AND a wacky robot?), but I like these Disney movies where characters DIE. Atlantis was like this where many (hundreds?) perished. The element of danger counters the usual Disney sentiments featuring lost innocence, missing loved ones, anthropormorphized neutered singing animals, etc.

I'm not familiar with the ending to the novel, so I don't know if the Jim/Silver, father/son relationship is invented or from Stevenson, so that part seemed a little soft, given that Jim doesn't seem to hold any ill-will toward Silver in Planet.

The blend of cgi and traditional drawing is used well in creating Silver's cybernetic arm which can transform into many devices from the utilitarian to the deadly.

This is not a great animated movie; the story is overly sentimental regarding Jim's missing father, and almost unwatchable when Jim's cool surfer hair is blowing in the wind. But it was frequently exciting (rousing, ripping), and I would watch it again.
Old 10-08-03, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually liked the music the most. I wonder if I can grab that song off Kazaa? The one they played when Jim and the Cyborg were sailing together.
Old 10-08-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Treasure Planet is greatly underrated. Is it on par with some of the disney classics? Not really. But i felt it was definitely an entertaining movie with, like you said, the ususal Disney themes. And i too, enjoyed the music and the song by the singer of the goo goo dolls.
Old 10-08-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you liked Iron Giant or Titan A.E., then you should like Treasure Planet.

Saw it in the movie theater and really enjoyed, I thought it a raw deal by no one going to see it. Bought on DVD and enjoyed it all over again.