Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

A Sticky Request

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
A Sticky Request

Can we please get a sticky for the TCM thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=321127

The previous one for the TCM 31 Days of Oscar thread a few months back came in pretty handy. And since this also covers an entire month (with an even bigger selection) it would be nice to have one.
Old 10-03-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've received the multiple requests and have discussed this with other moderators and we have decided not to sticky it for now. The reasoning is that it is just too small a niche to sticky - you must have TCM and you must like Horror movies.

I understand that we stickied the 31 days of Oscar, but that is a bit more broad a topic.

We are still discussing this and may consider a sticky, but for now, if there is enough interest, it should be kept near the top with bumps.
Old 10-03-03, 09:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blake
We are still discussing this and may consider a sticky, but for now, if there is enough interest, it should be kept near the top with bumps.
To clarify... hopefully those bumps will contain actual discussion, and not just variations on the word "bump."
Old 10-05-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand management’s reasoning behind this, but just humor me for a minute here and let’s compare the two TCM threads:

“The TCM 31 days of Oscar celebration schedule” thread originated on 2/25 and was promptly stickied on 3/1. In its duration of 31 days on top, it received 33 replies (many of which were from the original poster) and 1035 views. Remember that’s over the course of an entire month.

Now compare that to the current “TCM October Horror Festival Lineup” thread which has already received upward of 20 replies and over 500 views in a matter of 5 days [as of this posting]. Now I’m no Nathan Beaverton (a famous mathematician) but it seems to me that if a relatively new thread can conjure up half the views of the original …that equals some interest. Then again, it very well could have something to do with folks believing its Texas Chainsaw Massacre (TCM) related, but hey we’re not here to discuss specifics.

If it had not been for the sticky on the original Oscar thread, Whose to say I wouldn't have been lying in a ditch somewhere? Who knows? Fortunately, I was at home watching these wonderful classics in all their uncut, OAR glory.

The reasoning is that it is just too small a niche to sticky - you must have TCM and you must like Horror movies
Aside from the first part, that’s not necessarily true. I understand where you’re coming from, but we’re not exactly talking Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers or I Know What You Did Last Semester here. We’re talking classics, many of which were Oscar nominated, that even non-horror fans can and do appreciate. In fact, some of these are slightly outside of the horror genre and tend to tread more into sci-fi territory. And there are even a few that are nowhere near horror movies, but have been included solely because they are featured films for the month. Not to mention, a few of these titles are not even currently available on DVD. In October almost everybody’s a a fan of the genre …my 70 something year-old grandmother is nowhere near a horror fan, but around Halloween she makes it a habit to catch all the 1930’s Universal Monster movies.

Now we’re all film lovers here, can you honestly live with yourselves by depriving us of these classics?? That’s essentially what you’re doing by not tacking it up top. I think as DVD Talk as an online film school. Imagine if Martin Scorsese was scheduled to make an appearance but you forgot to tell anyone, and nobody showed up ...imagine the disapointment. While you're at it, why don't you tell little Susy that there's no Santa Claus, or little Timmy that the Easter Bunny isn't real!?

It’s already left the first page and will probably continue to go unnoticed ...nobody (including myself) wants to constantly bump a thread for an entire month. Besides, this thread may not necessarily garner a lot of discussion, but it will educate and inform. Look at this way, by putting it up top you’re reducing the number of pads and saving Geoff some bandwidth. How can you argue with results?

If you can understand this garble I applaud you, spelling and grammar mistakes aside, I think you get the jist of what I'm trying to say. All I'm asking for is a measly 26 days on top. After that it'll be a thing of the past ...but it will leave a lasting impression. Watching these films could inspire a young filmaker to go places. And after winning the Oscar for Best Movie ... in the closing credits it will read ... Thanks to Static and Blake for whom this would not be possible if that sticky had not been there. I'm going to end this now, mainly because my Carbon Monoxide detector has been going off for a few minutes, but I implore you to reconsider your decision.

Tonight's lineup starts in 4 hours 26 minutes and counting...
Old 10-05-03, 09:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Chad
Now we’re all film lovers here, can you honestly live with yourselves by depriving us of these classics?? That’s essentially what you’re doing by not tacking it up top.
I recognize your passion for these movies, but I really think you're stretching it here.
While you're at it, why don't you tell little Susy that there's no Santa Claus, or little Timmy that the Easter Bunny isn't real!?
Wait, what?
Old 10-05-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<b>Static</b>, please don't let the terrorists win.

das
Old 10-06-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Static! You are considered management! Way to go! Go ahead and give yourself a raise!
Old 10-06-03, 01:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

Geoff's informed me that our salaries going to go up 25% after the new year. Can't wait!
Old 10-06-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey! Up to about .44 cents now! Nice! Geoff is a big spender..
Old 10-06-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Note to self, the following will NOT sway moderator decisions:

1. Sending undisclosed amounts of money through Paypal
2. Sexual favors
3. Constantly using the word shit and other 4-letter expletives to emphasize the point
4. Offering to clean up Geoff's "mistake"
5. Acting completely insane and uttering pointless jibber jabber