Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Asian Movies for Me!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

New Asian Movies for Me!

Old 10-02-03, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Asian Movies for Me!

I'm so stoked, I'm going to call the watching of this movies my own Foreign Film Festival!

I just picked up copies of:

The Eye
Fly Me to Polaris
Guns & Talks
Il Mare
My Sassy Girl
Ping Pong

I wish movies like these were readily available in North America! I have a huge list of movies I still need to get to, Kairo, Uzumaki, Space Travelers, Returner, Save the Green Planet, Attack the Gas Station, Fulltime Killer, Mr. Vampire..

Any thoughts on any of this movies? I'll post what I thought as I slowly get around to watching them...
Old 10-02-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Fulltime Killer last night and enjoyed it, although not everyone has. My Sissy Girl is very popular but I did not care for it. My expectations must have been too high plus i was watching the longer DC which caused it to drag in places for me.
Old 10-02-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Eye will be readily available in North America on 10/21/03.

My Sissy Girl?
Old 10-03-03, 08:15 AM

Re: New Asian Movies for Me!

The Eye
Fly Me to Polaris
Guns & Talks
Il Mare
My Sassy Girl
Ping Pong
> money well spent!

Kairo
Space Travelers
Attack the Gas Station
Mr. Vampire
Fulltime Killer
> also worth gettin!

Returner
> was very disappointing

Save the Green Planet
> GET IT, THIS MOVIE IS SO AWESOME!!!
Old 10-03-03, 09:51 AM
Cool New Member

Sunny, don't encourage me, or I'll spend all my money on Asian dvds right now, instead of spreading it out. So the Returner is disappointing? Was it at least somewhat entertaining to watch?

What makes Save the Green Planet so sweet? (I really want to see it)

Just curious, does My Sassy Girl have any nudity or other materials like that? I want to watch these with a friend who has taken some sort of weird vow to not watch R rated movies and don't want to offend his stupid sensibilities!
Old 10-03-03, 11:30 AM

Returner is a 5 STAR film, its simply superb, and worth the $55 I paid for the Japanese special edition.

also go for
VERSUS -- WHICH IS THE FILM OF THE YEAR!
Old 10-03-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
Returner is a 5 STAR film, its simply superb, and worth the $55 I paid for the Japanese special edition.

The Returner is an average film at best. Of course if I'd paid $55 for it I'd be trying to convince myself that it's "superb" too.
Old 10-03-03, 01:56 PM

I also bought a few copies of the normal Hong Kong dvd ($6 each), for a comparison, its crap compared to the Jap special, and sold them and made a lot of cash out of it, as everyone loved the film when I borrowed it to them.

The Japanese special 2 dvd version is a stunning set, the packaging is some of the best I have seen, and I have seen a lot from round the world. It is a great film, and many people thunk so too, thats why it made a fortune at the Japanese box office.
Old 10-03-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You love that special packaging, don't you, Romerojpg?

I'll stick up for him, actually. He's not saying that Returner is good simply because he paid through the arse for the expensive Japanese edition. If he thinks a movie is crap, he'll say it. After all, he got the super duper bat case for Twins Effect and hated the movie.
Old 10-03-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the acclaimed Swallowtail Butterfly DVD for trade if anyone is interested.
Old 10-03-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally posted by DVDude!
You love that special packaging, don't you, Romerojpg?

I'll stick up for him, actually. He's not saying that Returner is good simply because he paid through the arse for the expensive Japanese edition. If he thinks a movie is crap, he'll say it. After all, he got the super duper bat case for Twins Effect and hated the movie.
Of course this is just friendly teasing and should be taken as such. If he loves that film and that special edition makes him feel all warm and fuzzy inside then great for him!
Old 10-04-03, 05:58 AM

Just curious, does My Sassy Girl have any nudity or other materials like that? I want to watch these with a friend who has taken some sort of weird vow to not watch R rated movies and don't want to offend his stupid sensibilities! [/B]
no nudity in sassy girl... not sure what you mean with 'other materials like that', torture? blood? killer bees? that what you mean? if so, you might wanna think twice about Save The Green Planet

saw Road Movie the other day... some great kinky nudity in that!
Old 10-04-03, 10:14 AM

Yup I do love overpriced packaging.
No one does over priced packaging like the asian dvd makers.

Reccomend asian films I have bought and enjoyed latley...

Samurai Fiction,
a good black and white samurai comedy.

Avalon,
a superb, strange but very nice, sci fi japanese filmed in russia or somewhere fulm, very mental. But great.

Time and Tide, you can get the US version from columbia, its quite a film, definatly well worth a watch.

36th Chamber of A Shaiolin, a calssic, which shows up many modern Kunf Fu films.
Old 10-04-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Yup I do love overpriced packaging.
No one does over priced packaging like the asian dvd makers.

Reccomend asian films I have bought and enjoyed latley...

Samurai Fiction,
a good black and white samurai comedy.

Avalon,
a superb, strange but very nice, sci fi japanese filmed in russia or somewhere fulm, very mental. But great.

Time and Tide, you can get the US version from columbia, its quite a film, definatly well worth a watch.

36th Chamber of A Shaiolin, a calssic, which shows up many modern Kunf Fu films.
Those are all good!
Old 10-04-03, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

Sunny, its just my mormon friend, he won't watch an R rated movie, which frustrates me to no end since I can't show him ANYTHING that is good. Which is why I wanted to know about My Sassy Girl (he doesn't want the nudity) and when I saw Sex is Zero there was abundant nudity!

RATINGS ARE A ARTIFICIAL CONSTRUCT!
Old 10-04-03, 06:48 PM

Has he seen Orgazmo? No nudity, except one guys butt real quick. Its about a Mormon trying to making enough money to get married in the Temple.
Old 10-04-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he won't watch R-rated movies I'd be pretty surprised if he agreed to watch an NC-17-rated movie. Unless he was tricked into it, maybe...........
Old 10-04-03, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

I think we have tried to trick him into watching Orgazmo on occasion, but it didn't work.

The thing I love about foreign movies, is that they for the most part don't have ratings, so unless if there is gratuitous nudity (See Y Tu Mama Tambien) I can usually sneak these under his radar. Then there are times we watch movies without knowing the rating (Equilibrium is R), and they are fine, he wasn't offended or anything which makes it all the more annoying!