Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood? More than one Edition?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-02-03, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I was doing a search for this, and it looks like there's more than just one version out there in Region 2 zone. There seems to be a SE that has a longer cut and very pink cover, while theres a predominantly black colored cover with a shorter runtime. Does anyone know if there's a difference, or are they the same and websites have differing info?

Thanx.
Old 10-02-03, 11:54 AM

No one here owns this edition or has any knowledge regarding the region 2 releases?
Old 10-02-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
I am only aware of British R2 and Australian R4 releases.

Where did you see this other R2 release?

I have the British and it's superb. The Australian was released several months later and is cheaper.
Old 10-02-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure it isn't this release:

Which is the Korean release.

http://cweb2.millenianet.com/cgi-bin...=New+This+Week

Last edited by fnordboy; 10-02-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 03:32 PM

There's several releases in Region 2 Europe (many countires!) but the discs all seem to be the same. The pink cover belongs to Spain and Australia (Region 4 PAL) and there's a cover with a grey surround in Germany. All the releases are 'special editions'. You just don't know it until you put the disc in.

Excellent disc and film.

http://www.chud.com/chudvd/reviews/edwood.php3
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=2943
Old 10-02-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the discs are most definitely not ALL the same....this one for example does not appear to be anamorphic.....even after checking the UK site:

http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=9503
Old 10-02-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the discs are most definitely not ALL the same....this one for example does not appear to be anamorphic.....even after checking the UK site:

http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=9503
The UK version is anamorphic. Since the Danish disc looks exactly the same as the UK disc (same cover, same specs, same BBFC logo in the lower right corner of the front cover) I'd imagine it's also anamorphic.
Old 10-02-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Japan (NTSC-R2) has a movie only editon out. Anamorphic but without all the features.
Old 10-02-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How's the picture on the Korean?
Old 10-02-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen the Korean so I wouldn't know I think there are a few people on these boards who have it. Hopefully they will speak up. I have the UK release.
Old 10-02-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Please show proof that they aren't all the same. Aside from the outside case, I haven't seen any R2 discs of this film that aren't exactly the same. Nothing on that page says it isn't anamorphic, at least that I can find.

I believe that the disc is the same R2 disc sold in the UK, France, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland. Only the packaging is changed for the market.
Old 10-02-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by rexinnih
Japan (NTSC-R2) has a movie only editon out. Anamorphic but without all the features.

RENALDO:
This is a post above you....did you read it?

right here is one proof for you....

on the dvdoo.com page if a disc is anamorphic it will be indicated...as you could see there is no "16/9" indication. I am not sure what proof you would like me to show you but to state that ALL reg.2 versions are exactly the same and "Special Editions" for that matter as well....I believe is simply not the case.
Old 10-02-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
I haven't seen the Korean so I wouldn't know I think there are a few people on these boards who have it. Hopefully they will speak up. I have the UK release.
I hope so... lately, I've been a bit wary of Korean "16:9" transfers. Or worse, PAL/NTSC transfers...
Old 10-02-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RENALDO:
This is a post above you....did you read it?

right here is one proof for you....

on the dvdoo.com page if a disc is anamorphic it will be indicated...as you could see there is no "16/9" indication. I am not sure what proof you would like me to show you but to state that ALL reg.2 versions are exactly the same and "Special Editions" for that matter as well....I believe is simply not the case.
This review of the Danish release specifically states that it is anamorphic. Here's another Danish e-tailer also stating that it is anamorphic. Dvdoo is wrong, Ockham's razor wins -- if it has the same specs and same packaging as the UK edition, chances are it is the UK edition.

Last edited by Dan Average; 10-02-03 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Your link certainly indicates that DVDOO is incorrect. However the above statement remains- the Japan R2 edition is not the same, therefore, not all R2 editions are similar.
Old 10-02-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your link certainly indicates that DVDOO is incorrect. However the above statement remains- the Japan R2 edition is not the same, therefore, not all R2 editions are similar.
Yes, there are different asian releases. I was referring to the European R2 releases, which I still maintain are the same disc, all anamorphic, same content. The proof that I would find acceptable is a member to post that they have a Euro version that is different. Websites are wrong, anyone who orders online would have to agree with that.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=3194

You'll see the only difference is the subtitles and the occasional 5.1 dub track made specifically for the country iit's marketed in. Otherwise content is exactly the same.
Old 10-04-03, 10:00 AM

Since the original post referred to Region 2 (Europe only as far as most people here are concerned) the discs ARE all the same.

The Japanese (Region 2 NTSC) market is in a world of its own.
Old 10-04-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak
Since the original post referred to Region 2 (Europe only as far as most people here are concerned) the discs ARE all the same.

The Japanese (Region 2 NTSC) market is in a world of its own.

...ok I'll bite

...I dont see any reference indicating that this was a Region 2 "Europe Only" post. The post was about R2 and Japan is part of the R2 division (true they are NTSC but that does not mean anything....there are plenty of exceptions in every region).

Your assumption that this board (the international section) is interested in the European R2 cuts only is just that...an assumption. In fact quite a few members tend to avoid the R2 European releases if there is a R2 Japan release due to the PAL/NTSC issue.

ps
Your remark in the other post you have that "we in Europe spell dates correctly" is....absurd and funny, ha ha ha ha.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-04-03 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-04-03, 05:30 PM

...ok I'll bite

And you did.
Old 10-04-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I do not intend to engage into personal attack(s) with you. If you have anything constructive to add up please do so. Otherwise the rules of the forum are pretty easy to follow, NO?

...and your insinuative remarks (often masked as harmful jokes) that European street dates (month/day spelling)are correct and ours(US) are not...I will leave without a comment. I havent seen any of us (American talkers) drop sarcastic comments towards European members. So, lets leave it this way and go back to the original topic, ok?

Cheers,
P

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-04-03 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-05-03, 03:26 PM

I have the Danish disc which I purchased from Xploitedcinema.com. It is anamorphic.
Old 10-07-03, 12:38 AM

I have a copy of the Korean DVD (as well as Korean DVDs of "Bound" and "The Abyss") if anyone would like to trade for anything on my want list:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=319705