Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Japanese DVD recommendations

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-29-03, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading some of the recommendations in the Korean DVD thread, I have been wanting to try some Japanese movies but need some recommendations. I usually prefer romantic or comedy movies but I do watch Action or Horror movies if they are well done.
Old 09-29-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my non-anime Japanese movies are pre-1960.

A more recent one I have that you might like is After Life (original title is "Wandafuru Raifu").
Old 09-29-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

#1 recommendation: Shiki-Jitsu (Ritual)

All About Lily Chou-Chou is also amazing
Old 09-29-03, 09:14 PM

I tried looking for "Shiki-Jitsu" at a few of the sites I order for and could not find it. Where can i get a copy of it on DVD?

I already have "All About Lily Chou-Chou" but have not watched it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I hope to get as much enjoyment out of the Japanese movies as I have been getting from the Korean DVD's I bought.
Old 09-29-03, 10:06 PM

I have always seen it listed as Shiki-Jitsu, but cdjapan lists it as shikijitsu:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBF-5077

Things of interest: Shunji Iwai plays the lead part in Shiki-Jitsu and he is in real life the director of movies like All About Lili Chou-Chou and Swallowtail & Butterfly. The main actress, Ayako Fujitani, is the author of the story that the movie is based on and isthe daughter of, believe it or not, Steven Seagal.

Last edited by fnordboy; 09-30-03 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused, what part does Steven Seagal play in Shiki-Jitsu exactly?
Old 09-30-03, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Fandango
I'm confused, what part does Steven Seagal play in Shiki-Jitsu exactly?
LOL oops. I meant to say "daughter of Steven Seagal"...fixing it now
Old 10-01-03, 05:54 PM

If you like Korean movies like My Sassy Girl and The Classic, you might like Shunji Iwai's Love Letter. A little less melodramatic (and more ironic and bittersweet) than your typical Korean tear-jerker but a very good film.
Old 10-02-03, 10:41 AM

The best Japanese films to get are VERSUS and RETURNER both fantastic action films, both brilliant in every way. Worth every expensive bit of money they cost, they cost a lot. both well worth it.
Old 10-02-03, 11:19 AM

When is the R1 of Returner coming out, or has it even been announced yet? I saw an ad in the latest Newtype (USA) for the theatrical release of Returner, so I am assuming it will be coming out eventually.

bluntman72- You might also be interested in checking out the Jam Films DVD. It has several short films by some of Japan's hottest directors right now. Ryuhei Kitamura, the director of Versus, has a great short film on it. Other directors on the disc include: Joji Iida, Shunji Iwai, Tetsuo Shinohara, Rokuro Mochizuki, Yukihiko Tsutsumi, and Isao Yukisada. Shunji Iwai's short is very good also.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=HSB-10

Also, I haven't seen this yet but Maaya Sakamoto, an anime voice actress and singer, is in her first live action role in a short film that is coming out soon on DVD. I am definitely picking this up, sounds like it will be interesting, it is called 03 Cross:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/topic...oto/index.html
Old 10-02-03, 12:29 PM

I highly recommend Suna no Onna/Woman in the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara/1964)--an unforgettably creepy film. There is an inferior R1 version from Image, but I can vouch for the Japanese release from Asmik. A comparison between the two is available at DVD Beaver.
Old 10-02-03, 01:39 PM

I havent seen Classic yet but My Sassy Girl is one of my favorite movies.

I have Returner and Versus but I have only watched Returner so far and thought it was very cool.

Anyone know of any romantic comedies or crazy comedies.
Old 10-02-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by bluntman72
Anyone know of any romantic comedies or crazy comedies.
Takashi Miike's "Happiness of the Katakuri's" a great Horror, Comedy, Musical (available R1). I would recommend all of Miike's films actually (not that I have seen them all).
Old 10-03-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by fnordboy
When is the R1 of Returner coming out, or has it even been announced yet? I saw an ad in the latest Newtype (USA) for the theatrical release of Returner, so I am assuming it will be coming out eventually.
The Hong Kong edition costs $10 or less at most retailers and is coded for Region 0 (despite the packaging claiming that it is Region 3). The R1 release has an MSRP of $24.95.

The movie isn't worth $24.95. Just buy the Hong Kong disc. Review here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../returner.html
Old 10-03-03, 11:26 AM

The movie is well worth $25
I paid a lot more than that for my special edition Japanese version, I think I paid about $55, and its worth every penny!
its just a superb film, and dvdfile talk a load of crap in there review.
Old 10-03-03, 12:42 PM

The Japanese release is far from being merely just somewhat superior...Very expensive, but if you are a fan of the genre the packaging and presentation more than make up for it. Not recommended for first time viewers perhaps.

At any rate, the forthcoming US disc via Columbia will be the one to pickup. I'm amazed that Tai Seng has been allowed to distribute the Universe disc in the US given that Columbia has owned the rights to this title before it was even released to the Japanese market.
Old 10-03-03, 01:59 PM

If the US dvd has subbed extras I may invest in it when its in the sales, as the Japanese special edition whilst being wonderful, hasnt got subbed extras, and a subbed commentary and the hours of documentary footage would be great with subs also.
Old 10-03-03, 05:26 PM

I might also suggest picking up Twilight Samurai. Very well made Japanese movie. Not action packed, but a good story.

I'll second watching Versus. Very fun movie to watch. I just ordered Returner recently, so I have yet to see that one.
Old 10-04-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
The movie is well worth $25
I paid a lot more than that for my special edition Japanese version, I think I paid about $55, and its worth every penny!
its just a superb film, and dvdfile talk a load of crap in there review.
Sorry, dude, difference of opinion.

If we're talking blind buys here, the movie is worth $10. I would not recommend that anyone spend $25 on this movie without having seen it first. It's fun in a "Sure, I'd buy that for 10 bucks" kind of way, but to call something so silly and derivative "a superb film" is pretty far out there.

If this kind of movie is your thing, then hey spend as much as you want on it. But I would never recommend that someone who has not seen the film should waste their money on an expensive edition when they are likely to come out of it with a "Meh...." reaction like I did.

Last edited by Josh Z; 10-04-03 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-04-03, 04:02 PM
Banned

Battle Royale
Audition (someone already mentioned Miike)
Branded to Kill (hence the name, Rice Sniffer!)
Tokyo Drifter

Versus was ok .. the plot kind of detracts from the violence and zombie battles. A helluva lot of attitude, cool characters and bloodshed. Hey, the mix of sword play and gun battles never looked better mixed together. It's fun, but only if you're into this sort of genre.

Any older Kurosawa films
Old 10-04-03, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

I enjoyed Dark Water - some might say its a little derivative of the Ring, but its still an enjoyable watch.

Audition - I liked it, but I found that it dragged at times, though you can't imagine a more terrifying conclusion

Battle Royale - Essential

Suicide Circle - I need to watch it again, it was good, but has a very open ending, as in you can pretty much interpret what you want.

What gets me, is my sister is living in Japan, but I've seen more Japanese movies then she ever will!
Old 10-05-03, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by weakerthans
Audition - I liked it, but I found that it dragged at times, though you can't imagine a more terrifying conclusion
Hey Weaker ... be careful there. I agree with you whole-heartedly about your opinion about the end. But, that's the whole point of Audition ..
Spoiler:
the surreal, twisted plot that has the ending that it does. It begins so innocently but ends so graphically violent. How could you not feel for the guy, ya know?But I think it had a bigger impact since I didn't have a clue going in.
The lesser one knows about this movie going in the more I believe that they will enjoy it. I'm not usually into these types of movies, but for this genre of film, I though Audition was thoughtful enough and hit it's mark close enough.

It's definately worth a watch ... especially for a glimpse of Eihi Shiin's intro to big screen. Hope to see more of her.

"Kitty, kitty, kitty ...."