Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (9/29)

Old 09-29-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's CDs (9/29)

I've just been grooving to the new Strokes album, which is fantastic. Maybe better than Is This It. Very impressive. Other than that, the same-ole, same-ole:

Brooks & Dunn -- Red Dirt Road
King Creosote -- Kenny & Beth's...
A Frames -- 2 (more people should listen to the A Frames; my current fave band of the moment)

Oh, my top five singles of all time:

1. Prisonaires, Just Walking in the Rain
2. Elvis Presley, Mystery Train
3. Johnny Cash, I Walk the Line
4. Aaliyah, Are You That Somebody
5. Beatles, Rain

Fallow, you see Hella last week? I caught Parts & Labor with Battles (ex-Don Cab and ex-Helmet)--fantastic! I've got CMJ coming up at the end of the month, which'll be tiring. And 90 Day Men soon too...
Old 09-29-03, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been on a country/bluegrass kick today:

AKUS: New Favorite
Nickel Creek: This Side, S/T
Old 09-29-03, 11:05 AM

Lucinda Williams - World Without Tears
V/A - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters
Ma/Meyer/O'Connor - Appalachian Journey
Belly - King
R.E.M. - Monster (thanks to the debate in the R.E.M. Greatest Hits thread; thought I'd listen again to see if I want to sell it once I get the GH CD).

Trying to pick a list of "Top Singles" would be darn near impossible for me -- too many songs, not enough knowledge of what's a "single." (My definition would be something played on the radio, but since all I listen to on the radio now is NPR and sports talk, my universe is a wee too narrow.)

woofman, how is This Side? I liked Nickel Creek's s/t album, but didn't like it enough to get their next one. (I was kinda lukewarm on New Favorite, too. Perhaps I wasn't as big a fan of newgrass as I thought.)
Old 09-29-03, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
My Morning Jacket - The Tennessee Fire
My Morning Jacket - Chocolate and Ice
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

Picking top singles is near impossible for me as well, but I was gonna try. After beginning a list and realizing it would include way too many songs, I'm not gonna try.

SAS - This Side does little for me. It's not a bad disc by any stretch, and I like Nickel Creek live. I never have any real desire to listen to the CD though.
Old 09-29-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

+/-, Holding Patterns EP
Dntel, Life is Full of Possibilities
Ms John Soda, No P or D
Do Make Say Think, Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
Fennesz, Endless Summer, White Label (split 12" w/ Main)
Belle and Sebastian, Dear Catastrophe Waitress
The Shins, Chutes Too Narrow

I can only think of one single that would grace a personal all-time list - 'A Change is Gonna Come' performed by Sam Cooke. I'm actually writing a historical/personal review of why it is my favorite song for this 'zine I'm doing.

Hella was ****ing incredible. I positioned myself right in front of Spencer Seim, but I had a full-on view of Zach Hill the whole time. One guy directly in front of Hill caught the moment pretty well when he shouted after their second song, "JESUS CHRIST. YOU ARE ****ING INSANE." Definitely one of the best live shows I've seen - too bad Dame Fate and Quasi sucked. It was worth $10 just to see Hella, though.

I tried to write all of that with some restraint. I could carry on for awhile about the show, but I won't. I will say this, though. To everyone: if Hella is coming to yr town, you must go see them - I don't care what kind of music you like. Nothing will ever match the intensity of watching this guy drum live.

How was Battles? I know a guy up in Boston who saw them play w/ Suntan and he just said they were okay. I'm going to put Hold Your Horse Is and Groundswell on a tape for my friend that graduated last year. He liked the Lightning Bolt/Giddy Motors tape I made him; I'm sure he'll love this.

-edit to add-

I thought of two more that would definitely/positively make a top 5: "Once In a Lifetime" by The Talking Heads and "Marquee Moon" by Television.

Last edited by fallow; 09-29-03 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 02:24 PM

Haha! Everyone has that reaction. Yeah, they're absolutely spectacular and total sweethearts to boot.

Battles were great. I actually never saw DonCab (a variety of shitty circumstances throughout the years), so this was fantastic. Ian's such an a$$hole, but he's so damn good.

Go see 90 Day Men next week. Do it.

Last edited by Yancey; 09-29-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SASHEPHERD: I love "This Side" and listen to it all the time. Sure it is more of a pop-bluegrass album, but I feel it is strong from start to finish and recommend it, and yes they are incredible live. Sean Watkins' (Nickel Creek's guitar player) solo CD "26 Miles" is very good as well, not blue grass, more alt-acoustic but I recommend it too, it really grows on you after a few listens.
Old 09-29-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Gerald Collier - s/t
Duran Duran - Decade
Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
High & Mighty - Air Force 1
Elvis Costello - North
Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
Old 09-29-03, 05:41 PM

I just might check out the "new" Don Caballero when they play here in Chicago a few weeks from now. It'll probably be terrible, but I'm curious. I can most likely convince my roommate to get us on the guest list, anyway.

Recent Spins:
Television - "Marquee Moon" reissue
TV on the Radio - "Young Liars" EP
Spacemen 3 - "Perfect Prescription"
Elvis Costello - "Get Happy!" reissue
"California Soul" compilation
Old 09-29-03, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I did a double take when I saw Don Caballero listed in Nov. on the Empty Bottle's site. Then I found out what it really was.

Do the Television reissues sound any better than the older discs? I'm gonna wait until I see them for less than $18 before i buy them, but was just curious.

Currently playing:

Killing Joke- s/t (2003)
The The- Dusk
Pretty Girls Make Graves- The New Romance
Old 09-30-03, 09:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Electric Soft Parade - Holes in the Wall
James - Millionaires

Had to pop the James album into the car stereo cause the ESP album got a little too morose, pop-rock always makes a car ride go alot faster.