Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for September 28th, 2003

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below are DVD Talk's reviews for September 28th, 2003. For a complete list of reviews, visit the review index.

DVD TALK COLLECTOR SERIES
The Hills Have Eyes: SE by G. Noel Gross

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Scarface - Anniversary Edition (Widescreen) by James W. Powell
Short Eyes by Gil Jawetz
Three O'Clock High by G. Noel Gross
Weird Science (reissue) by G. Noel Gross

RECOMMENDED
2001 Tour de France: 10-hour extended version by Holly E. Ordway
The Jaundiced Eye by Gil Jawetz
Kaaterskill Falls by Gil Jawetz
The Old Grey Whistle Test by Adam Tyner
Wrong Turn by Adam Tyner

RENT IT
Cher - The Farewell Tour by Gil Jawetz
Dancing to New Orleans by Gil Jawetz
French Twist by Matt Langdon
This Stuff'll Kill Ya!/Year of Yahoo!: SE by G. Noel Gross

Old 10-03-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very suprised to the high marks you guys gave Scarface for picture and sound. Yes, the picture is good considering it's age, but you almost gave it a full 5 stars?? Also the sound is pretty lacking, compared to newer releases. Lacks real punch and surround of newer discs. I'm not writing to b*tch or complain, but to wonder why you guys give it such high ratings in the A/V department.
Old 10-03-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if you read the video section, but here's a quote:

Although it may not quite stand up to some newer releases, this great transfer does indeed score high marks, especially considering the source element.
I try to review DVDs based on the current norm as well as the film's source element, age, previous releases, etc. With Scarface, I felt the video looks great compared to the old DVD and I also feel that it's never looked better. Perfect? No. Great for Scarface? Definately.

I'll admit, I debated between 4 stars and 4.5 stars. I ended up with 4.5 based on the improvement over the previous version.

The audio is along the same lines, except I failed to mention (as I did in the video section) that it's not up to par as new films.

Last edited by James W. Powell; 10-03-03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the clarification. I did read the review, and I agree that's leaps and bounds better than the previous 1998 CE release. Also it is an older release, with it's source print being a limitation.

One suggestion I have though. It seems the reviews at DVD talk use the 5 star rating depending on many things (previous releases, source print, etc). So there really is no baseline to rate the different titles by. For example, you could rate video quality of Lord Of The Rings : FOTR with 4.5 stars, and Scarface Anniversary with 4.5 stars, and could be misleading due to the fact that they are totally different pictures, source, age, etc. So people might think that the pictures are the same quality, when in fact FOTR is leaps and bounds better. Just a little misleading, but I'm not trying to complain, just a suggestion though.