Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam To Release Live DVD and Rarities CD On November 11

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...ent_id=1988172

Pearl Jam DVD Spotlights New York Show

Pearl Jam is eschewing a comprehensive DVD of its 2003 Riot Act tour in favor of spotlighting one particularly noteworthy show from the trek. The double-disc "Live at the Garden," capturing the band's July 8 performance at New York's Madison Square Garden, will arrive Nov. 11 via Epic. On the same day, the label will issue a long-in-the-works set of rarities, although no information on that collection has yet been confirmed.

The sold-out July 8 show came at the tail end of the three-month tour and found Pearl Jam unleashing a 30-song, nearly three-hour set. Highlights included a guest appearance by Ben Harper on "Daughter" and "Indifference," the band's only third-ever performance of the pre-Pearl Jam act Mother Love Bone's "Crown of Thorns" and a furious run through the Who's "Baba O'Riley" with all of the arena lights turned on.

The concert went on for so long that Pearl Jam faced a several thousand dollar fine for breaking an 11 p.m. curfew. Frontman Eddie Vedder told the crowd that the stage floor was literally shaking from the audience volume, a feat venue officials said had only ever happened at performances by Bruce Springsteen, the Grateful Dead and Iron Maiden. The venue later waived the curfew violation fine.

Bonus features on the DVD include a 5.1 audio mix and a video for the controversial "Riot Act" track "Bu$hleaguer." "Live at the Garden" was shot by Liz Burns, Steve Gordon and Kevin Shuss, the same team that collaborated on the 2000 tour DVD "Touring Band 2000."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam will return to the concert stage Oct. 25 at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit outside of San Francisco.

Here is the "Live at the Garden" track list:

"Love Boat Captain"
"Last Exit"
"Save You"
"Green Disease"
"In My Tree"
"Cropduster"
"Even Flow"
"Gimme Some Truth"
"I Am Mine"
"Low Light"
"Faithfull"
"Wishlist"
"Lukin"
"Grievance"
"1/2 Full"
"Black"
"Spin The Black Circle"
"Rearviewmirror"
"You Are"
"Thumbing My Way"
"Daughter" (with Ben Harper)
"Crown of Thorns"
"Breath"
"Better Man"
"Do the Evolution"
"Crazy Mary"
"Indifference" (with Ben Harper)
"Sonic Reducer" (with the Buzzcocks' Tony Barber)
"Baba O'Riley"
"Yellow Ledbetter"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Old 09-27-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
I was about to post this... anyway SWEET, gonna get, but it sucks that we won't be getting another TOURING BAND dvd.
Old 09-27-03, 10:43 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome.

I actually prefer one concert, to the touring band thing. It makes for a better experience IMO as it's more like being at a concert.

Glad to see the Rarities album finally has a date.

Even better, these come out Nov. 11 and my birthday is Nov. 14.
Old 09-27-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually prefer DVD releases of whole concerts as well. It's nice to get the flow of a concert rather than just highlights over several nights, the Showbox DVD was amazing.

Looking forward to this.
Old 09-27-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the aspect of one whole concert from start to finish, but I'm very disappointed there will not be a comprehensive dvd. I (as I'm sure lots of other fans were as well) was looking forward to seeing if footage from the show I attended made the cut. Regardless, any concert dvd from PJ is a good thing.

And I will gladly take the credit for the rarities disc finally being released. Today I went to a used store and after all these years decided to buy the Jeremy/Footsteps/Yellow Ledbetter disc. Sure enough I come home, get on the net and see that the rarities disc (which one would think will include FS and YL among other B-Sides) will be released
Old 09-29-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer the single-show idea too, though it chaps my hide they didn't play Alive that night.
Old 09-29-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
I prefer the single-show idea too, though it chaps my hide they didn't play Alive that night.
Ah, I see what you mean, no Porch either. Damn.
Old 09-29-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No "Blood" or "State of Love and Trust" either.
Old 09-30-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the Rarities info:

from www.theskyiscrape.com

According to VH1.com, the long awaited rarities album will be a 2CD set, titled Lost Dogs!

As previously reported, Lost Dogs will arrive on November 11, along with the Live at the Garden DVD. Here's the tracklisting.

Disc one:
"All Night"
"Sad"
"Down"
"In the Moonlight"
"Hitchhiker"
"Don't Gimme No Lip"
"Walking"
"Alone"
"Education"
"'U'"
"Black, Red, Yellow"
"Leaving Here"
"Gremmie Out of Control"
"Whale Song"
"Undone"
"Hold On"
"Yellow Ledbetter"
Disc two:
"Fatal"
"Other Side"
"Hard to Imagine"
"Footsteps"
"Wash"
"Dead Man"
"Strangest Tribe"
"Drifting"
"Let Me Sleep"
"Angel"
"Last Kiss"
"Sweet Lew"
"Dirty Frank"
"Brother Instrumental"
"Bee Girl"
The article includes some more news on the Live at the Garden DVD as well:

The DVD also has a montage accompanying the song "Fortunate Son," with guest performances from ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Sleater-Kinney, Steve Earle, former PJ drummer Jack Irons, Ben Harper, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, Idlewild and the Buzzcocks.
A live video for "Bushleaguer," shot at various performances on the group's 2003 Riot Act world tour, is included, as are live outtakes set to the song "Down" and a "Matt Cam" drummer's-eye view of the show, shot from behind the kit of Matt Cameron.
Old 09-30-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I literally just drooled. Not making that up. It just happened.

I've been a PJ freak for years (500+ live CDs, lots of live VCDs, etc, etc, etc...) and that track listing (which I've been hoping to see for like a year since this was first announced) has lots of stuff I'VE NEVER EVEN FREAKIN' HEARD OF!!!!!

Okay, on closer inspection, it only has the following tracks that I've never heard before:
"All Night"
"Sad"
"In the Moonlight"
"Hitchhiker"
"Don't Gimme No Lip"
"Walking"
"Hold On"
"Sweet Lew"

But still... YYYYEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree...I'm surprised at the selection. Very impressed. I just recently was able to hear Education, Fatal, and Letter to the Dead. All very good tracks...too bad Letter to the Dead isn't included but still an amazing tracklist.
Old 09-30-03, 09:43 AM

PJ continues to do good things for their fans - people have been buzzing for years about this, and they're not doing it to milk more money from their record label or to fulfill any album committments. Best. Band. Intheworld.

Weird that Leatherman isn't on the rarities CD, considering songs like Down and Last Kiss are.
Old 09-30-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow...I agree some of those tunes I've read about but never heard or never thought existed...and I thought I had made myself a pretty comprehensive rarities b-side disc a few months ago...going to be great set.
Old 09-30-03, 10:27 AM
Retired

Awesome, can't wait.
Old 09-30-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully a chain will have a "buy both get $5 off" special or something along those lines. Can't wait till 11-11!
Old 09-30-03, 11:01 AM

I'm hoping they sell it through the 10 club - for as much good as they do, I'd rather give them my $$$ than Best Buy.
Old 09-30-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pearl Jam will also be playing an acoustic benefit show on Wednesday Oct. 22 at Benaroya Hall in Seattle. I saw Dave Matthews play his first full length solo acoustic show there (also a benefit), and tickets to that show were going for $1000+ on the street.

If you're in Seattle, it'll be a mission to get PJ tickets, but it will certainly be worth it.
Old 09-30-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More detailed description of Lost Dogs CD from billboard.com

Pearl Jam will trot out 31 rare and previously unreleased tracks from its archives on the long-in-the-works collection "Lost Dogs." As first reported here, the two-disc set will be issued Nov. 11 by Epic, on the same day as the double-disc DVD "Live at the Garden."

"Lost Dogs" is a veritable treasure-trove for Pearl Jam fans, as it includes 11 songs that have never been released in any form. Among them are "All Night," which appeared on preliminary track lists for the 1996 album "No Code"; the "Binaural"-era outtakes "In the Moonlight," "Fatal," "Sweet Lew" and "Education"; and several songs of unknown origin, such as "Sad," "Hitchhiker" and "Don't Gimme No Lip."

"I guess it's still one of my early '90s riffs," drummer Matt Cameron tells Billboard.com of "In the Moonlight," which he wrote. "It's very grungry and slow."

The album is rounded out by studio B-sides spanning the group's 13-year career, from early favorites such as "Alone," "Wash," "Footsteps" and "Dirty Frank" to more recent fare such as "U," "Down" and "Undone." An appearance by longtime concert closer "Yellow Ledbetter" is set, and "Lost Dogs" will host the vintage outtake "Hard To Imagine," which appeared on the 1998 Loosegroove soundtrack to "Chicago Cab" but never on a Pearl Jam studio release.

"Lost Dogs" also collects tracks from Pearl Jam's numerous compilation and benefit album appearances, such as 1996's "Gremmie Out of Control" and 1999's "Whale Song," from the "Music for Our Mother Ocean" compilations and a cover of the High Numbers' "Leaving Here" from 1996's "Home Alive" benefit. A 1999 cover of J. Frank Wilson's "Last Kiss," which at No. 2 is the highest-charting Billboard Hot 100 single of Pearl Jam's career, makes the cut as well.

Several cuts are featured from the group's annual holiday single for members of its Ten Club fan organization, including "Drifting," "Strangest Tribe," "Angel" and "Let Me Sleep."

Meanwhile, additional details have come to light regarding "Live at the Garden," taped July 8 at New York's Madison Square Garden. Bonus features include a solo performance of the B-side "Dead Man" by frontman Eddie Vedder, a version of the Hunters And Collectors' "Throw Your Arms Around Me" featuring that band's Mark Seymour, a reel of band outtakes set to "Down" and a collection of crew outtakes set to "All Those Yesterdays."

In a further nod to the collaborative spirit of Pearl Jam's 2003 Riot Act tour, the DVD includes a montage of guest performances from the likes of Johnny Marr, the Dead Boys' Cheetah Chrome, former Pearl Jam drummer Jack Irons, Steve Earle, Sleater-Kinney and Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, among others.

As reported yesterday, Pearl Jam will play an Oct. 22 acoustic concert at Seattle's Benaroya Hall, with proceeds to benefit the local YouthCare center for at-risk and homeless children. The group will also be on hand Oct. 25 for its sixth appearance at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit outside San Francisco.

Here is the track list for "Lost Dogs":

Disc one:
"All Night" (previously unreleased)
"Sad" (previously unreleased)
"Down" (2002 B-side)
"In the Moonlight" (previously unreleased)
"Hitchhiker" (previously unreleased)
"Don't Gimme No Lip" (previously unreleased)
"Alone" (1993 B-side)
"Education" (previously unreleased 2000 outtake)
"U" (1998 B-side)
"Black, Red, Yellow" (1996 B-side)
"Leaving Here" (from 1996 "Home Alive" benefit album)
"Gremmie Out of Control" (from 1996 "MOM" benefit album)
"Whale Song" (from 1999 "MOM III" benefit album)
"Undone" (2002 B-side)
"Hold On" (previously unreleased)
"Yellow Ledbetter" (1992 B-side)

Disc two:
"Fatal" (previously unreleased 2000 outtake)
"Other Side" (2002 B-side)
"Hard To Imagine" (from 1998 "Chicago Cab" soundtrack)
"Footsteps" (1992 B-side)
"Wash" (1991 B-side)
"Dead Man" (1996 B-side)
"Strangest Tribe" (from 1999 fan-club single)
"Drifting" (from 1999 fan-club single)
"Let Me Sleep" (from 1991 fan-club single)
"Angel" (from 1993 fan-club single)
"Last Kiss" (from 1999 "No Boundaries" benefit album)
"Sweet Lew" (previously unreleased 2000 outtake)
"Dirty Frank" (1991 B-side)
"Brother Instrumental" (previously unreleased)
"Bee Girl" (previously unreleased)
Old 09-30-03, 03:30 PM

Is it November 11th yet?
Old 09-30-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even though I have most of those on my singles anyway, this is really sweet. I hope I can go to there acoustic set too.
Old 09-30-03, 04:18 PM

I know that there had been rumors of some of the songs being re-recorded for this release... Has anyone heard anything else about that?
Old 09-30-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is seriously awesome news. I will finally be able to get rid of my Jeremy single!

Hopefully this is a the first volume of rarities from Vedder & Co. considering the enormous amount of non-LP tracks and Christmas singles they have produced.
Old 09-30-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
This is SWEET, but at the same time kinda sucks. Back when they announced this they mentioned the set to have 50+ songs, so they'll should had made it a 3cd, so they could include:

I Got Shit
State of Love and Trust
Breath
Girl
I Believe in Miracles
Master of War
Break On Through
Light My Fire
Roadhouse Blues
Long Road
Daytime Dilemma
Elderly Women [acoustic]
Crazy Mary

... feel free to add more
Old 10-01-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
I Got Shit
Yes, as this is their best song (imho ) - but uh... when did that stopped being censored on this forum??

Oh yeah, and as for why some of those others weren't on there, if you'll notice, they didn't include any covers in the tracklist. Of course that doesn't explain, Long Road, I Got Shit, SOLAT, Breath, and Girl... but still.
Old 10-01-03, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JonTurner
Oh yeah, and as for why some of those others weren't on there, if you'll notice, they didn't include any covers in the tracklist.
Hmmm. What about "Last Kiss" and "U"? Or am I misinterpreting what you said?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.