Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss of the Dragon - which version?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-26-03, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the R3 Korean release of Kiss of the Dragon. The picture seems a little funny, and michaeldvd.com.au says the region 4 release is far better in terms of picture quality than the region 1. I believe the region 3 Korean release is the same as the region 1. Can anyone help me here?
Old 09-27-03, 03:09 AM

I have the German release of Kiss Of The Dragon which features English DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete sound and a very good picture quality.
You might want to try this link :

http://www.primusmedia.de/primusdb/i...&searchmax=10&
Old 09-27-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know a lot of PAL country-based sites (like that aussie one) will claim to have better PQ on their releases than ones from NTSC countries, mainly because PAL uses more lines of resolution.
Old 09-27-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

without attempting to hijack the primary topic of this thread I have to concur that the general technical information pertaining to PAL/NTSC format(s) comparison has nothing to do with how a certain dvd looks in another region.

Yes, indeed....PAL has a higher resolution quality however quite often the R1 NTSC version happens to be better mastered and with substantially better picture quality. For example: look at dvdbeaver.com and their region comparisons....R1 is often with the better version (of course this a general statement)....

I guess what I am trying to point out to you is that PAL encoding will not always deliver you the best video quality. Other than the DTS track provided on a few R2 releases I see no reason to sub the R1 version.....(the French one looks qiute good as does the Dutch one).
Old 09-27-03, 08:32 PM

I thought the R1 dvd looked pretty good. The D-VHS HD version was way better though!