Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's been your most disappointing CD upon first listen?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, I'd have to say it was Live's last album before "Birds of Pray." Man, the first time I listened to it, all I could think was "what a gigantic waste of time.....for them!"

Thankfully they returned with the new album.
Old 09-26-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, it was listening to "Goo" by Sonic Youth for the first time. After a run of albums starting with "Bad Moon Rising" through "Evol", "Sister" and (the ace of aces) "Daydream Nation", I was expecting something stellar. Those four albums had gotten me through high school. I had seen them live many times over the years and met Thurston, Lee, Steve and Kim. If there ws ever a band I worshiped, it was them. They captured that lower East Side vibe better than any band, they symbolized an almost Tony Manero-esque NYC craving to me. They were VU for the eighties.

I put the disc on. "Dirty Boots" is a good lead off track, "Tunic" was cool, after that...something was missing. It was the first sign to me that something was wrong with my favorite band. By the end of the album, I was seriously disappointed. I felt personally let down (remember, I was 17).

I don't think SY really got back onto their feet until "Murray Street" (their best album since Daydream).

Luckly, "Gish" by Smashing Pumpkins came out soon after "Goo" and saved the day.
Old 09-26-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything by the Beastie Boys!

Somebody left a Beastie Boys CD in my car, (the one with intergalactic) I tried to listen to it... I couldn't, it was complete garbage. I immediately returned it to them.

if somebody leaves a CD in my car, normally Id listen to it... maybe even copy it. No freaking way, I made it a point to return that CD later that day.
Old 09-26-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rarely ever buy a CD anymore the day it's released. I'm one of the 3 people on Earth who loved U2's "Pop" and thought they could do no wrong. The buildup for "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was strong... great prerelease reviews, okay first single on the radio. I went out that morning and bought the CD and went straight home... plopped it in the CD player and was sitting on the floor ready to be knocked off my a** by an incredible piece of music history.

First song "Beautiful Day"... not bad... nothing new. Second song "Stuck in a Moment". WHAT? Wait, this is simply a little roadblock to get around. This can't be a sign of what's to come.
Then "Elevation". Crap. Sounds like any other band making little catchy alt songs. At that point I was too pissed to realize the next song "Walk On" was a great tune and the high point of this boring and backwards looking recording.

That truly was one of the most disappointing hours I've ever had listening to a band I like very much.
Old 09-26-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Filth Pig by Ministry was one of my biggest dissapointments ever musically. After listening to that album, my only thought was Al Jourgensen needs to lay off the acid.
Old 09-26-03, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fight Songs by the Old 97's. Hitchhike to Rhome, Wreck Your Life and Too Far to Care are such great albums. When Fight Songs came out, I was at the record store promptly at 10am to pick up my copy. Got home, put the disc in the player and was immediately incredibly disappointed. Tepid pop rock that had little in common with their previous work. Luckily, they picked things back up again with Satellite Rides...a pretty successful mixture of pop and alt-country. In other words, what Fight Songs should have been.
Old 09-26-03, 11:50 AM

The "black" album by Metallica. After more than a decade of top notch metal, the lads return and just when I was ready to get my riff-heavy crunch on, they go all hard-rock on me. To each his own, but I was hoping for more of what I had come to know and love over the past 10 YEARS! METAL!
Old 09-26-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Rush - Vapor Trails
Old 09-26-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising.
I loved Tunnel of Love and that twofer release (Human Touch/Better Days?) on first listen.
I couldn't have been more dissappointed with The Rising. It was so hyped before it came out and with all the 9/11 stuff, I thought it would be a no brainer classic.

Some of the songs have grown on me a little but this isn't your father's Bruce.

Doug
Old 09-26-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm the opposite of atlantamoi - I gave up on U2 after Pop, but picked them up again with their last one.

REM - Up

Pumpkins - Machina
Old 09-26-03, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Fight Songs by the Old 97's.... Luckily, they picked things back up again with Satellite Rides...a pretty successful mixture of pop and alt-country. In other words, what Fight Songs should have been.
Funnily enough, I'd reverse those two albums. I picked up Fight Songs used long after it came and still think it's great. Satellite Rides is the tepid one for me, though the bonus disc (with their older material, which I still need to pick up in its original form) is great.

I'm with atlantamoi -- not with his opinion on ATYCLTB, which I think is pretty good (though not great), but on buying a CD the day it comes out. Too little discretionary income, too many choices...
Old 09-26-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile ... something that has to be experienced in a live setting. seeing them twice on that tour made me enjoy the album much more.

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina ... tons of great songs, but as an album it's really long and the songs don't necessarily flow together.

Robert Plant - Now And Zen ... being a fan of Led Zeppelin, and Plant's ability to screech and rock out, this album seems totally awful with it's synthesized beats and 80's disco feel. yuck man.

The Who - Quadrophenia ... it's really hard to get into the trudging rock opera theme. but beneath the "story" there are some awesome rock n roll songs.
Old 09-26-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh wow I loved Machina... by the Pumpkins on first listen!! I thought the first 9 songs were terrific! (I also got the CD from the band which may have excited me a little more; but I still think it's a great CD).
Old 09-26-03, 02:06 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
1. Blur, by Blur - after three outstanding albums they release that piece of crap. Sorry guys, but that's where you lost me.

2. The Teenage Fanclub that came out after Bandwagonesque. They've since redeemed themselves (Songs From Northern Britain is wonderful, for example), but that one was awful. I think it's Thirteen, but I don't really remember.
Old 09-26-03, 02:17 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Widespread Panic - Don't Tell The Band
I was pumped for this after listening to Light Fuse, Get Away, Til The Medicine Takes, and Another Joyous Occsion almost daily, I was expecting another great album.
Old 09-26-03, 02:20 PM
Retired

Re: What's been your most disappointing CD upon first listen?

Originally posted by Toad
For me, I'd have to say it was Live's last album before "Birds of Pray." Man, the first time I listened to it, all I could think was "what a gigantic waste of time.....for them!"

Thankfully they returned with the new album.
I'm the opposite here. I was (and still am) extremely dissappointed with Birds of Pray. I liked V, not as much as their first four, but I still liked it.

Birds of Pray is just a collection of mediocre songs IMO, it lacks any kick ass songs. Their first five albums all had at least a couple of songs I thought were great, but they're are none that jump out at me on Birds of Pray.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-26-03 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I, of course, disagree with both of you. Mwuhahaha!!! I like them both, but each for completely different reasons.

das
Old 09-26-03, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
Widespread Panic - Don't Tell The Band
I was pumped for this after listening to Light Fuse, Get Away, Til The Medicine Takes, and Another Joyous Occsion almost daily, I was expecting another great album.
Compared to Til the Medicine Takes, Don't Tell the Band was a bit of a disappointment, though there's still some great tracks on it (I particularly like "Little Lilly" and "Give"). I do think that Ball may be their best album yet, however, and I was expecting little from that one given the tragic year they'd had prior to releasing it.
Old 09-26-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine would have to be "Hey Man" by Mr. Big. After Lean Into It and Bump Ahead, plus Japandemonium, at first listen, it just seemed like they ran out of good songs. Then Gilbert left...
Old 09-26-03, 03:38 PM

Mandy Moore - Coverage

It is a CD that made me give up on being a fan of Mandy Moore.

Hearing the clips made me weary and worried.

Getting an advanced copy of the album made me sad and depressed.

Reviewing the album and getting flames was fun.

Finding out I had the CD weeks before the mp3 sites got it, that's what made it all worth it.

But really, most people are going to love it, but in my opinion [and I hope some will agree] it is terrible regardless of the material being covers or not.
Old 09-27-03, 03:27 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Compared to Til the Medicine Takes, Don't Tell the Band was a bit of a disappointment, though there's still some great tracks on it (I particularly like "Little Lilly" and "Give"). I do think that Ball may be their best album yet, however, and I was expecting little from that one given the tragic year they'd had prior to releasing it.
Based on that year and my dissatisfaction with the last release, I never even picked this one up. I may have to give it a sample sometime.
Old 09-27-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Teenage Fanclub that came out after Bandwagonesque. They've since redeemed themselves (Songs From Northern Britain is wonderful, for example), but that one was awful. I think it's Thirteen, but I don't really remember. [/B][/QUOTE]
Funny... I bought this disc when it came out and sold it back almost immediately. Horrible disc compared to what was before.
Okay, fast forward 10 years and it's become obvious this band makes everything they do turn to gold since. Amazing and consistently great band. Soooo, I decided to retry "Thirteen" a month ago by buying it for 75 cents on Ebay. Great stuff!! In retrospect it's not bad and certainly worth the 5 or 6 extra songs at the end. Certainly for the song "Gene Clark". I love it when my mind is changed like this.
Old 09-27-03, 08:49 AM
Banned

Queensryche's Q2K.

What a piece of CRRRRRRRRRRAP that CD was. Unlike a lot of their fans, I loved the previous two CD's, Promised Land and Hear In The Now Frontier. However when guitarist Chris DeGarmo left the band, and the rest of the group were insinuating that the previous two albums were "his fault," I knew we were in trouble.

I haven't heard Tribe yet, but from what I hear it's tied with Q2K as worst CD they've done.
Old 09-27-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weezer - Maladroit
Old 09-27-03, 11:37 AM

Tori Amos - A Scarlet Walk

I love Tori Amos, but I can't listen to this album. None of it screams out to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.