Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Legit Spiral/Rasen English Subbed DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-23-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the R3 Rasen DVD from Yesasia and missed that it was subbed in Korean only. Does anyone have any idea where I can get an English subbed disc?
Old 09-23-03, 09:02 PM

Is this the same movie?

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000083056

It'll be out next week.
Old 09-24-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am confused, I have yet to see Rasen, but why is it listed as the "second installment in the Ring Trilogy"??
Old 09-24-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ring and Rasen were both shot at the same time by 2 different crews and intended to be released at the same time - Rasen was intended to be the sequel to Ring. Rasen was a disaster, but Ring was a success. They decided to pretend Rasen never happened and brought back the cast and crew of the first film and make a new sequel... Ring 2. The reason it was called Rasen (Spiral is the literal translation) is because these films are based on a series of books by Suzuki Koji called Ring, Rasen, and Loop. Ring 2 had little to do with the books and basically was just an expansion of the first film. I've heard mixed things about Rasen and have wanted to check it out - I'll no doubt pick up this DVD (thanks for the heads up).

The US version - The Ring - was not really based on the books, but moreso a reworking of the original Ring film. The Ring 2 (in production) will have nothing to do with Rasen, the books, or Ring 2 and will just be an expansion of the first US film - an original story written by screenwriters (which is kinda what Ring 2 was anyway and it'll be interesting to see where they go with it).

A film called Ring Virus came out in Korea a year after Ring did and while it didn't have quite the punch that Ring had, it was both a remake of the original in some scenes as well as being more faithful to the book than the original in some areas. In either case, it was more faithful to both than the US version was. Also interesting to note is that this was the first Japanese/Korean co-production film. There have been some since then, but this was the first.

Ring 0 was the 4th installment in the Ring franchise (Ring = 1, Rasen = 2, Ring 2 = 3, Ring 0 = 4). It's a prequel that goes back 30 years and basically explains stuff that didn't need to be explained - stuff that made the first film so cool (the fact that you didn't know everything made it more compelling IMO). It was slow - even slower than the first - and it wasn't much of a horror film or even creepy. Some liked it, but I think the general consensus is that it was a letdown.
Old 09-24-03, 06:36 AM

Um, because the "Ring Trilogy" was originally a set of novels written by Japanese author Suzuki Koji?

The three novels are "Ring," "Spiral" and "Loop." "Birthday," a collection of short stories by Suzuki, contains a prequel to the trilogy.

But since "Spiral" the film was such a stink bomb at the box office, the movie studio would like you to believe it never happened. They made "Ring 2" with Nakata Hideo, and revived a few characters that were killed in "Spiral."

So yeah, if you are a purist, it's "Ring 2" that never really happened.
Old 09-24-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mrwilson
Is this the same movie?

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000083056

It'll be out next week.
That's It! Thanks a bunch. I ordered it and am looking forward to it. The R3 disc is beautifully presented and actually fairly easy to follow even without Subs. It would just be easier to know what's happening as opposed to doing guess work.

THanks again
Old 09-24-03, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Ring and Rasen were both shot at the same time by 2 different crews and intended to be released at the same time - Rasen was intended to be the sequel to Ring. Rasen was a disaster, but Ring was a success. They decided to pretend Rasen never happened and brought back the cast and crew of the first film and make a new sequel...
Thanks Trigger, I knew Rasen was filmed around the same time as Ring 2 but didn't know that it was the intended sequel. I have been planning on watching it but was waiting for the eventual UK release that has been on the horizon since they released the Ring trilogy.

About Ring 0, I actually did enjoy it, but I went into it knowing that a lot of people didn't like it. I guess I had lowered my expectations and was pleasantly surprised with the result.
Old 09-24-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want to know everything about the Ring franchise, check out this excellent site:

http://ringworld.somrux.com/index.htm

Jeremy
Old 09-24-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by fnordboy
Thanks Trigger, I knew Rasen was filmed around the same time as Ring 2 but didn't know that it was the intended sequel.
Actually, I said Rasen was filmed at the same time as Ring - the first one... The books were pretty popular and they figured people would walk out of Ring and want to go see Rasen. Well, it wasn't what people wanted to do. Ring 2 was filmed later after Rasen had failed at the box office.
Old 09-24-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I watched an unsubtitled video of Rasen about 4 years ago, but thought the first Ring film was quite a bit more enjoyable (I watched them both in row one night and at the end, my brain hurt after trying in vain to keep up with the Japanese dialogue ). My understanding of Japanese is so-so, but maybe subs would help me appreciate the film more if I give it another shot.
Old 09-25-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay isn't the film Uzumaki english's title Spiral, since i believe Uzumaki is a Japanese word for Spiral. When the Sundance aired Uzumaki they used the english title of Spiral. I'm guessing the thread topic film and Uzumaki are two different movies, since i've only heard one or two negative things about Uzumaki, and one of those is that it was overrated. It wasn't my favorite Japanese horror flick but i'm looking forward to the R1 release(hopefully this is still planned, any info on this let me know).

edit:i just checked this out on IMDB, and i found out that i was correct in thinking that these are two different flicks(probably stating the obvious to most on here).

Last edited by paradicelost; 09-25-03 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by paradicelost
Okay isn't the film Uzumaki english's title Spiral, since i believe Uzumaki is a Japanese word for Spiral.
Well as far as I know Rasen and Uzumaki both mean spiral, I think the difference is that uzumaki is more of a whirlpool type of meaning, "uzu" / ‚¤‚¸ means "swirl".

EDIT: well it seems that I can't input japanese text in the message board. The " うず " was supposed to be the hiragana for Uzu.