Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations please- Samurai movies

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-20-03, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy watching samurai movies which deal with honor and tradition. I've watched most of Kurosawa's, the Samurai trilogy, 47 Ronin, and Chushingura. I've joined Netflix because my local video stores don't carry much in the way of foreign.

I'd appreciate it if you would pass on some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 09-20-03, 09:36 PM

Zatoichi series!
Old 09-21-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lone Wolf and Cub Series.
Old 09-21-03, 02:37 AM

Don't miss Kinji Fukasaki's Shogun's Samurai. Too bad it is only available in R2.
Old 09-21-03, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mrwilson
Zatoichi series!
I'll second this recommendation! All can be rented from Netflix with the exception of Zatoichi meets Yojimbo.
Old 09-21-03, 11:32 AM

If you don't mind checking out an animated movie check out Samurai X Trust & Betrayal
Old 09-21-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Zatoichi movies are just fantastic on every level, and they're of a very consistent quality. Some are better than others, but I haven't seen a bad one yet. I would particularly recommend:

Zatoichi #5: On the Road

and

Zatoichi # 8: Fight, Zatoichi, Fight

...and a lesser known samurai flick that I thought was awesome is Hideo Gosha's Three Outlaw Samurai.
Old 12-02-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
The Zatoichi movies are just fantastic on every level, and they're of a very consistent quality. Some are better than others, but I haven't seen a bad one yet. I would particularly recommend:

and

...and a lesser known samurai flick that I thought was awesome is Hideo Gosha's Three Outlaw Samurai.
I was thinking of getting into Zatoichi based on all I've heard. Should I get #1 or should I just jump in and buy 5 or 8. That is to say, if I'm got buy one (to start with) what would you suggest?
Old 12-02-03, 03:07 PM

A recent samurai flick that I enjoyed was Twilight Samurai starring Hiroyuki Sanada. The region 3 disc can be had from DVDAsian or Yesasia for about $20. Here are a couple of reviews:

KFC Cinema

Kung Fu Cinema

thunnus
-----
Old 12-02-03, 03:17 PM

The 6 Lone Wolf and Cub films are among the best (two available atm from Animeigo)

All the Zatoichi movies are great, but do not concern "samurai" honor per se.

YOJIMBO and SANJURO are requisite viewings.

HIDDEN FORTRESS is not "honor" related but a great samurai adventure film.

Three Outlaw Samurai
Samurai Wolf
Tange Sazen : Secret of the Urn/ Urn worth 1 Million Ryo
Sword of the Beast
(The above four are only available as "imports" via ebay etc, all those films are exceptional)

Lady Snowblood
Lady Snowblood: Lovesong of Vengeance (Both LSBs are upcoming in 04)
Old 12-02-03, 03:33 PM

The Lady Snowblood films are available on dvd in the UK.
Old 12-02-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CheapBastid
I was thinking of getting into Zatoichi based on all I've heard. Should I get #1 or should I just jump in and buy 5 or 8. That is to say, if I'm got buy one (to start with) what would you suggest?
Although there is ongoing character development and an occasional returning character, all the Zatoichis are pretty much stand-alone stories, so you don't have to see them in order. Numbers 1 and 2 are black and white, and although very good, have a bit less action than some of the later ones.

As far as recommending one, I would probably have to say #5. IMO, it's really great on every level, but I guess it depends on what you like. #5 has a great showdown between two gangs in a dusty street, they've kidnapped his girlfriend, and both sides want him to fight for them--sort of a Yojimbo type plot as he plays the gangs against each other.

other ones I rank highly:

#8---Zatoichi, with the help of a prostitute, takes care of a baby, and there's all the usual swordplay and carnage while he still has to protect the baby---great fight scenes, and also some very funny bits.

#9---Zatoichi may have found his father---cool, eerie final fight at night as the snow starts falling.

#10---Corrupt officials have been kidnapping local women, beating them and forcing them to become prostitutes. Unfortunately for the bad guys, one of the girls was Zatoichi's close childhood friend who he used to sing songs with in the mountains.

#11--- Set in a seaside fishing village, great final fight in the fog as Zatoichi is attacked by swordsman with fish nets and harpoons.

These are my favorites, but really, every single one of the first 11 is pretty close in overall quality, IMO.
Old 12-02-03, 05:05 PM

For Zatoichi there is actually a running storyline to a degree. I'd start from #1.... #1 and #2 are among the most memorable.
Old 12-02-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shogun's Samurai

This one is not talked about much, probably because it's only available in R2, but without a doubt it's a masterpiece and one of the best made! I also enjoyed Roningai, if you like more dramatic versus action packed samurai movies. The R2 is anamorphic and a good transfer.
Old 12-02-03, 07:29 PM
Cool New Member

I second Twilight Samurai. I got the Japanese R2 disc and loved it. Also loved When the Last Sword is Drawn.

I haven't watched Lady Snowblood myself but I understand that Animeigo will (eventually) remaster a proper DVD (unlike the current UK R2) so I'm waiting for that one.
Old 12-02-03, 10:39 PM

The two Lady Snowbloods are due out in Feb/Mar.... Just in time for Kill Bill pt 2. Animeigo is terrible about missing dates though....sometimes by years.

The first one is only so-so, but the second Snowblood (LOVESONG OF VENGEANCE) is really quite an amazing film.

They have all 12 of the Nemuri Kyoshiro movies under license too, I hope Robert has the foresight to see that they can have a market on DVD that they never did on LD.
Old 12-04-03, 10:57 PM

The first UK Lady Snowblood looks really good, despite being non-anamorphic. Unfortunately, the second film doesn't look as good.
Old 12-07-03, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
I would particularly recommend:

and

I guess I'm in the minority, but Zatoichi:The Fugitive is one of my favorites, along with On The Road. anyway, reccomendations:

Sword of Doom
Samurai Assassin
Samurai Rebellion

but these are R2 discs. I definitely need to get the 2 lone wolf and cub discs available from Animeigo now and everything else they are releasing in the next few months, Chambara wise.
Old 12-09-03, 12:10 AM

Mibu Gishi Den is the best samurai film I ever seen.

look:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/15958.html
Old 12-09-03, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen all the Kuroawa movies released by the Criterion cllection except Throne of Blood, and I'd recommend any of those, especially Hidden Fortress and Yojimbo.

Anyway, I also strongly recommend Azumi, though it's nothing like the Kurosawa type of samurai movie.
Old 12-14-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the last samurai. pretty good movie.
Old 12-14-03, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by the_dude8
the last samurai. pretty good movie.
I was just thinking before I clicked on this thread that the starter have just seen The Last Samurai, and now looking for other samurai movies, I felt the same after seeing said flick.

I was more looking for games though.... Oh and I second Twilight Samurai. Excellent film.
Old 12-14-03, 09:07 AM

Twilight Samurai
is simply one of the best film I have seen this year, absolutly stunning film in every way, everyone needs to see this masterpiece.
the Japanese R2 2 dvd special Limited Edition is wonderfull too, try www.yesasia.com for it. expensive, but worth it.

Azumi ,I guess is a samurai film, not a traditional samurai film, but definatly worth checking out.
Old 12-14-03, 11:08 AM

I too liked Twilight Samurai but be aware it is not an action flick. Its a drama with some action at the end.
Old 12-14-03, 11:30 AM

Twilight Samurai I cannot say it is action packed, more the build up to the action is better, its just a wonderful film, I wasnt expecting much, but was very suprised by what I got, I dont think anyone could not like it, I guess if you ike samurai film or just good films you need to see it.

and really there is only one samurai film that rules the roost, and never will be beaten ever!

SEVEN SAMURAI. a perfect film, a perfect samurai film, a must own film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.