Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Volcano High (Whasango)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-20-03, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between this version:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.3037/qx/details.htm

and this version:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2700/qx/details.htm

I have the first version and I'd like to know what was cut out and whether it really is that big a deal to where I should get the longer version.
Old 09-20-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hong Kong release is a two-disc special edition of the "international cut" (100 minutes) in anamorphic widescreen, Korean DD and DTS 5.1, and English subtitles on disc one with disc two containing production featurettes, storyboard-to-screen comparisions, theatrical trailers, music videos, deleted scenes, and some text extras. The deleted scenes on the disc include twelve minutes of footage from the Korean release which includes the "original Korean cut" (121 minutes). The Korean release is similar to the HK release; but adds more special features (audio commentary, more production featurettes, etc). Now with both releases, the extras have no English subtitles (deleted scenes on the HK disc excluided).

Now the cut on the R3 disc explains more of the story, but the pacing of the film is a bit slower (depending on your outlook of the movie, this could be a good or bad thing) while the international cut on the R0 disc has fast pacing. If you want a version that can play on all players, go with the HK R0 version. If you want the most complete version of the film with extras galore, get the Korean R3 version.
Old 09-26-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the clarification, Matthew Chmiel. I had been wondering the same thing. I'm close to placing a DDDHouse order and was debating if I should include the HK version for $14.11 or so. Since the HK version has the extra 12 minutes as deleted scenes, I might just get it. They are both anamorphic so that's good.

I'm worried that it'll be a crap movie though. Oh well. We'll see.
Old 09-26-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
Thanks for the clarification, Matthew Chmiel. I had been wondering the same thing. I'm close to placing a DDDHouse order and was debating if I should include the HK version for $14.11 or so. Since the HK version has the extra 12 minutes as deleted scenes, I might just get it. They are both anamorphic so that's good.

I'm worried that it'll be a crap movie though. Oh well. We'll see.
No, it's actually pretty entertaining. An in-your-face presentation combined with Matrix-style special effects and an overall feel akin to Dragonball Z or S-Cry-ed. Never a dull moment, it's got good action and a lot of humor. I got the Korean version, and I wasn't disappointed.

Jeremy
Old 09-26-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Korean is the only way to go. Seriously. Skip the International Cut.
Old 09-26-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess I'll get the Korean version then. Thanks guys!