Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Suggestion regarding the TV Talk weekly TV show threads..

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Static,

Just wondering what you thought of making it mandatory to put the episode name in the thread title. It would make finding shows that might slip by our finicky easier.

example: Show Name "Episode Title" Air Date

Not only that, but it would help when das compiles his 100 Greatest list at the end of this season...

Old 09-19-03, 11:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The problem is that it's not easy to know the episode title. Most shows don't have it as part of the episode, and you have to hunt around to find it. Seems like a lot of grunt work for somebody who just wants to start a thread to talk about a tv show.
Old 09-20-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Actually, all you have to do it go to TVGuide.com...
Old 09-20-03, 12:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed with Groucho.

Did I just say that?

Anyways, I think that the "Show - Date" standard works pretty well. You can tell episode from episode, and you don't have to scour the Internet for the date (although some people have had problem with dates in the past )... it keeps starting threads more accessible to everyone. I know it's hard to find some shows with search (24, ER, Ed), but I think one possible workaround is to put them in quotes in the thread title:

"24" - 9/20

That would push the number of characters to search for to 4, and thus make it possible for our search engine to find.

And don't worry about das. Just like TiVo, he plugs himself into his phone jack every night to download show information... and he's got a much bigger memory.

Edit... quotes don't work. Maybe -'s? -24-... nope. |Ed|... a ha! THOSE work... the vertical lines on the same key as one of the slashes, as long as you search for |Ed| and not Ed.
Old 09-20-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Suggestion regarding the TV Talk weekly TV show threads..

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>Not only that, but it would help when das compiles his 100 Greatest list at the end of this season...<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is there a :heartattack: smilie? "Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join you honey!!!"

This has been suggested before, and while I generally like the idea, there are some shows that have spoilerific episode titles. The suggestion I made the last time this was discussed was to put the episode title in the first post. That way it's almost just as easily found, but potentially spoilerific episode titles aren't all over the main page.

The problem with all of this stuff is that the search engine (sic) needs wildcards to find anything within text formatting, right? So when we pretty something up with bold or italics or even quotes, it's already more difficult to search for. I'm not sure if there is a way to win this battle.

Besides, you really think we can get forum members to conform to a standard over there?

das
Old 09-24-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Re: Suggestion regarding the TV Talk weekly TV show threads..

Originally posted by das Monkey
Besides, you really think we can get forum members to conform to a standard over there?
Yeah. I know, I know...but sometimes I just like to