Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anybody pick up WWE Raw 2 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody pick up WWE Raw 2 yet?

Anybody pick up WWE Raw 2 yet? I'm considering getting it but would love to read some reviews from you guys
Old 09-17-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not yet.. been trying to advoid buying too many games but I have wanted this one.. I bet my freind will be getting it, so I may update later in the week.
Old 09-17-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really really considering picking this up but don't want to spend the $50 unless it's worth it. I wasn't a big fan of the grappling system in Raw 1 but figured if the gameplay is really awesome in Raw 2 then I could get over it
Old 09-17-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that's how I feel.. I do think I'll get my $50 worth of fun just playing with the new CAW features.. that is where most of my time went on Raw 1, but now it's better and custom entrance themes.. best use of the Xbox music ripping ever.
Old 09-17-03, 09:27 AM

Check out this thread from alt.games.video.xbox.
Old 09-17-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the problems he's having only really affect the single player game, therefore not bothering me one bit.

Still.. with a game like this it's always good to give it a rental first.
Old 09-17-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raw 2 is pretty damn terrible. I only had it for one day and may not have figured everything out, but it seems to be getting worse the more I play. I'll start by pointing out the huge dissapointments.

Dissapointments:
1) Most match types are incredibly useless or have the fun drained out of.
I have yet to win a ladder match. Part of the reason is that the manual does not tell you how to pull the title down, however in game it says "press buttons." I did that and all I do is hang from the title. Meanwhile the computer gets up and walks around for 30 seconds while I'm still hanging. Then they climb halfway up the ladder and stop for 15 seconds. Then they never try to knock you down, instead they also jump for the title and everyone in the match is now hanging from the title belt. This generally last for 45 seconds or so. Now you fall down without the title and the computer is still up there hanging. If you ever both fall down the computer will always win the match. If you jump back up there and hang around you will once again fall while the computer still hangs.

Table matches are just too simple and limited. There does not seem to be a way to put a player onto a table as I have not been able to do it, and I've yet to see the computer do it. Therefore you are limited to suplexing and power bombs through the tables. The computer will never climb the anounce table with you, and rarely although sometimes will climb on a normal table with you. It's a very quick match that suffers from the downfalls of table matches in the other wrestling games and then also from the lack of control over the tables.

TLC is suffers from the same downfalls as a ladder match.

Battle Royals despite being elimination matches cause every wrestler in the match to break up every pinfall or submission attempt, making the match utterly useless unless you are playing with a few friends.

Cage matches are yet another utterly useless match to play against the computer. When you go to climb the cage, rather than knock you down, any and all computer opponents in the match will attempt to climb out.

Hell in a Cell seemed to be the most exciting match at first. Unfortunately after finally figuring out how to knock someone off the top, I found out that doing so KO's the person and ends the match. Thats just not fun.

Season matches are limited to 10 minutes. This results in numerous draws. Countouts are locked at a 10 count, and the computer does not seem to care about that at all. You will often need to attack the ref so the computer does not get counted out. Created teams mean nothing in season mode, as I am feuding with a teammate.

Royal Rumble only allows you to select the first 4 participants and forces you to be #1. All 4 of the selected characters start in the ring. Now heres something that I personally love but many people will not. You can leave the ring without eliminating yourself. As far as I know this is the first game to allow you to do this like Ric Flair once did. The computer will never follow you out to toss you back in though. One hit can send someone flying over the top rope, but there is an excellent animation for trying to push someone over.

King Of The Ring only allows you to select the human particpants and doesnt allow you to rearrange the brackets.

2) Computer Interference is terrible. All interferers seem to always attack the second person regardless of who they hate. They will also break up every pin attempt by continuously attacking.

3) Human interference sucks. During someones entrance you can attack them, but you instantly appear inside the ring as though the match started normally. This means every person in a tag match is in the correct corner and you are on the opposite side of the ring as your opponent and your spirit meters are normal.
Interference during matches in the season is somewhat satisfying although the computer soemtimes inexplicably takes control over your character and starts to beat up everyone in the match. If that doesn't happen, you will shortly be forced to leave the ring and go no longer have any effect on the match unless the wrestlers leave the ring or get close enough to the edge of the ring so the horrible hit detection can affect them.

4) The crowd is not into the matches. I just bought Wrestlemania XIX for Gamecube last week, and that game simply has the perfect crowd to make matxches exciting. That crowd goes nuts. They chant, they cheer, they scream. The crowd in Raw is very quiet and there is no way to fix that.

5) Difficulty levels are terrible. An increase in difficulty just makes you have to work harder to kick out of pins and makes the computer kick out easier. There is no increase of skill in the AI.

6) No storyline in season mode. Seems to be largely random matches against people you don't like, that never seem to change. Ric Flair and Lita are my tag champs somehow.

So what did I like?
The create a wrestler allows you to make wrestlers that look like they belong in the game. This hasn't been possible since No Mercy for N64.

The weapons have excellent animations and sound to accompany the hits.

Entrances are amazing looking with fog, lasers, lights, everything that is needed for a perfect entrance.

There are a lot of situations to do moves from. On the side of the cage, hiac, off a chair,grapple moves with both guys on the apron, etc...

HIAC has some great sound effects for hitting the cage and aside from KO's for falling off the cell, it's a lot of fun.

Counters sometimes look very cool, although never approaching the level set by Wrestlemania XIX.

Amazing graphics.

I want to like this game, I even put an effort into liking Raw 1 and I loved the battle royals, but Raw 2 is just not fun or exciting.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 09-17-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kaze0,

How is multiplayer.. compared to Raw 1. 95% of our time playing Raw 1 was creating characters and playing against each other. Does Raw 2 deliver in this aspect? (according to your mini-review, the CAW does, in fact)..
Old 09-17-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, thanks for the review. I was almost going to buy this, but I may rent it (or just wait for Smackdown 5; I'm having too much fun with Fire Pro Wrestling on the GBA anyways. I can wait.)

Is there any blood?
Old 09-17-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CAW is great. And except for the ladder match, which is broken no matter what, the game will be great for multiplayer as long as you like the gameplay style which is pretty much an expanded and tweaked version of last years gameplay.

There is no blood in the game.
Old 09-17-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow kaze0, great review. Looks like I'll definitely have to rent this before any more money is spent
Old 09-18-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn this is what I get for preordering a game. I have never preordered a game in my life until this one. Figuring on all the hype on this game I thought I have to have it on release day so I dropped a fifty on this and now the bad reviews are pouring in. Not good at all.
Old 09-21-03, 08:39 PM

This game sucks. The finishers in this game dont do squat, the computer keeps kicking out even on danger.
Old 09-21-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hear this game is very bad. Tell me if this part is true of what my friend was saying.

If you are fighting somebody for a title, and say Randy Orton (or any other wrestler) runs in for interference, this will result in Randy Orton winning the title. Haha, that is pretty funny if it is true.

I love how Spike Dudley can press slam Big Show few seconds into the match. Very realistic!!!
Old 09-22-03, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by ElementZ
I hear this game is very bad. Tell me if this part is true of what my friend was saying.

If you are fighting somebody for a title, and say Randy Orton (or any other wrestler) runs in for interference, this will result in Randy Orton winning the title. Haha, that is pretty funny if it is true.

I love how Spike Dudley can press slam Big Show few seconds into the match. Very realistic!!!
Yes, it's true.
Old 09-22-03, 10:46 AM

I picked this up primarily due to CAW mode so I could put myself and some friends/family into the game, and even with the flaws the game has, I still have fun with it. However, I did NOT own Raw 1 and I'm not thrilled with just how bad the instruction manual is written.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how in the heck you're supposed to successfully climb out of a cage in a cage match? I figured out the black button WILL get me started, as it says in the manual, but for some reason, my guy will just stop partway up. Or, if I'm lucky to somehow get him moving again, he might just stop at the top. Doesn't matter how bad I wailed on the computer. He'll always end up climbing up, over, and out before me.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be doing a directional button with the black button or not. I've tried a lot of things but this is frustrating me. That, and never being able to land a clean clothesline after Irish whipping somebody into the ropes (I ALWAYS miss with my timing) but that's another story...

Thanks guys...
Old 09-22-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend did pick this up but we have not yet played any real wrestling, however the CAW is excellent. It's VERY nice to finally be able to have your own Titantron movies, and the custom soundtrack is EXXXCELLENT. However, I think RAW 1 had a better CAW as far as creating your characters costume. There seemed to be a lot less different clothes types and a LOT more textures. Also the limited number of face models is poor. Will report back on wrestling later, and how it compares to RAW 1.
Old 09-22-03, 03:03 PM

I think the game is EXCELLENT. What game are you people playing ? Either that or no one knows how to play it.

Some answers instructions on how to play since most done seem to know

1) Ladder Match - Once you on the hook start tapping all 4 face buttons (A, B, X, Y) and rotate the D Pad.

2) Cage Match - Head towards the cage and hit the black button to climb. Once on the cage you will need to hit up and black again to continue to climb.

3) Tables Match - Put your opponent on by using <--- + X in a grapple near the table

4) Finishers - Need to be done when your opponent is in danger or it doesnt do much. It's just like as if someone is 100% and you do the finisher to start the match they will still be able to kick out but if they are worn down and you go for the finisher and your opponent is weak then it will work.
Old 09-23-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is wrestlemania xix?