Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Throwing Muses...Hunkpapa...good place to start?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-15-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading something online about Throwing Muses and their history, who's been in the band, what other bands have come out of them, and I've liked a lot of that music.

Somehow, I never really heard much, or any, of the Muses.

I went to Amazon and there were quite a few cds to choose from. I really can't afford to buy 10 cds just because I'm curious, but I do want to buy at least one (good reason for file sharing).

The 30 second clips at Amazon didn't really help much, but I felt like Hunkpapa sounded the best or closest to what I know I already like.

Is that a good place to start? Is that even a good album? Is it more like the rest of their music or is it a departure from the rest of it?

Can I get a little help please? Maybe a little info about your favorite Throwing Muses albums and if you think Hunkpapa is a good place for me to start. Zias is open till midnight. Thanks!

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-15-03 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 09:12 PM

to tell you the truth, i really like 'the real ramona' album the best. there are quite a few memorable songs on that one. of course tanya donnelly (later to move onto the breeders and then belly) has a couple of really nice songs as well. i can't say really say if 'hunkpapa' is all that good compared to this album, but that's my personal preference. another album i liked was 'red heaven'. i got the japanese import which has about 10 extra tracks recorded live. 'furious' is such a kick-ass song!

all this talk about throwing muses makes me want to listen to them again!

good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-15-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by claweight
to tell you the truth, i really like 'the real ramona' album the best. there are quite a few memorable songs on that one. of course tanya donnelly (later to move onto the breeders and then belly) has a couple of really nice songs as well. i can't say really say if 'hunkpapa' is all that good compared to this album, but that's my personal preference. another album i liked was 'red heaven'. i got the japanese import which has about 10 extra tracks recorded live. 'furious' is such a kick-ass song!

all this talk about throwing muses makes me want to listen to them again!

good luck and enjoy!
The only complete song from them that I've heard (that I know of) is Dizzy from Hunkpapa. I LOVE IT!

That's not Tanya, though, right?
Old 09-16-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best place to start is The Real Ramona. That's a great album, especially the first three tracks.
Old 09-16-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like their first album best... Real Ramona and University definitely have their moments.
Old 09-16-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
University is my favorite album overall, Hunkpapa comes in second. I find the Real Ramona to be more hit & miss than the others although it has some excellent songs. I would say start at Hunkpapa and if you like it then move forward through the years.
Old 09-17-03, 04:18 PM

i'd also start with real ramona, then maybe either university or red heaven.