Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

A Small And Somewhat Pointless Rant...

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 09-15-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Alright, occasionally someone will start a thread that has already been posted, which is probably the result of the super shitty search engine turning up nothing or just a lack of searching altogether. Hey, it happens - NO BIG DEAL.

When the duplicate thread starts getting posts (or doesn't), someone usually mentions that it's a repost and provides a link to the original thread. And in most cases the thread starter apologizes and the duplicate dies a slow and painful death while discussion continues in the original and life goes on. Well, then there are those who completely ignore the fact that it's a repost and continue to post in the duplicate, despite someone clearly saying that it was.

Here's an example:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=317220

Not the best example of what I'm talking about, but it's all I could find at the moment. My real gripe is when this happens in the higher traffic forums, (Movie Talk, DVD Talk, Other etc.) which can get especially annoying if someone is posting in the duplicate while the original is still on the first page. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but how hard is it to skim over a thread (Then again, why would you open a thread if you're not going to read it in the first place?) and post in the right one?

Yeah, I know if there's a complaint you click on: Report this post to a moderator. But let's face it, the mods can't catch and lock every duplicate thread, and probably have much more important matters to worry about anyway.

Again, it's obviously not a big deal ...it's just common courtesy.
Old 09-15-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

this is a duplicate thread
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=318012
Old 09-16-03, 01:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a related peeve, people that post the same thing in two-or-more separate duplicate threads puzzle me. Did they just forget that they've already typed this exact information out twice in the past two months? Are they looking to add to their post count? Do they just like seeing their name in a thread? Or is it something else?
Old 09-16-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by twikoff

this is a duplicate thread
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=318012
Old 09-16-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I don't understand is why the original author, once learning that his thread is a repost, doesn't just delete his thread? Is it because he doesn't know how (which I think is quite common), or is it because it's a matter of pride?
Old 09-16-03, 09:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
just delete his thread?
But then everyone who posted in the thread(including all the people who point out that it is a duplicate thread) would have the posts subtracted from their post count.
Old 09-16-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
A personal favourite of mine is when the original poster, after being told that it's a duplicate, tells the MODS to delete the thread..
Old 09-16-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>A personal favo<s>u</s>rite of mine is when the original poster, after being told that it's a duplicate, tells the MODS to delete the thread.. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like that. I also really like it when that original poster gets indignant about it and accuses the poster who pointed out the duplicate of some wrong-doing. "Well, <i>excuse</i> me for not reading <i>every</i> post!!! "

das
Old 09-16-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Are they looking to add to their post count?
Originally posted by AndyCapps
…would have the posts subtracted from their post count.
So, this is important? I can’t remember the last time I checked my post count.

Wizdar adds another penny to the jar.

Hey, every time someone clicks on twikoff’s link, it adds to the number of views! WOW!
Old 09-17-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Static Cling •<HR SIZE=1>On a related peeve, people that post the same thing in two-or-more separate duplicate threads puzzle me. Did they just forget that they've already typed this exact information out twice in the past two months? Are they looking to add to their post count? Do they just like seeing their name in a thread? Or is it something else? <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=318214